January 24, 2022, 04:05:01 PM

News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

6.5 Creedmoor barrel

Started by writerman, December 27, 2021, 02:02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

writerman

I am building a new 6.5 Creedmoor, and would like to know from your personal experience, what barrel is THE 1000 yard choice? What have you personally experienced? I have JP and Shaw as two I have researched. I could spend around 800 for the barrel, so it can be a good one. Thanks in advance.

jvw2008

Even among the top barrel makers you will occasionally find a barrel that just doesn't want to shoot well. So picking a barrel by brand doesn't necessarily guarantee success. That being said any of the top barrel makers will usually produce a product that is better than what you will find coming off of a rifle manufacturers assembly line.

There are a lot of competitors who believe that certain calibers match up better with certain after market barrel manufacturers. Since we tend to make judgements like that based on our own experience, you might get a different answer to your question based on who you are talking to. I've had excellent results with the 6.5 CM using 5 R Bartlein and 4 groove Hawk Hill barrels. That doesn't mean the next Bartlein I spin on is going to do as well as the last one I used. Or, my friend's Lilja isn't going to shoot as well as my Bartlein.

Rifle build components are most stringently tested in competition. Fortunately, component data is collected from those matches and it is published. Go to the top F-Class and Benchrest websites and dig into their competition information. If you want to shorten your search pull up information from just the last few year's National matches at 1000 yards. Find your caliber among the listed rifle builds and see what barrel manufacturer is listed and has scored well. I would include the 600 Yd data in that barrel search as well.

You should also talk to your gunsmith to see what their preference is but be sure to ask them why they like one particular barrel over another.

BCz

Quote from: jvw2008 on December 27, 2021, 03:24:18 AMYou should also talk to your gunsmith to see what their preference is but be sure to ask them why they like one particular barrel over another.
Well put Jerry, I plucked this out of your statement because it carries a lot of weight.

If the OP has a quality gunsmith he should follow his advice on barrel selection.

jvw2008

I'm fortunate to have the opportunity to work with a gunsmith who is top quality. When I ask him about a barrel preference, he will list off for me multiple manufacturers that he has confidence in, but he will not make a specific choice. I think most top quality smiths follow that response. So, if your gunsmith does select just one manufacturer, it's prudent to ask "why that particular one". If he says "because they are easy to get", or " because I get a discount from them", I would start looking for a different gunsmith.

bikemutt

I've used both JP and Shaw barrels, been very pleased with both. Weekend warriors are a lot easier to please than 1000 yard guys so, YMMV.
Chris

autoxforfun

I don't think there is 'THE' barrel manufacturer for 1000 yard competition.  There are a number of reputable barrels available that can do the job.  In looking down the list of equipment that folks are shooting, you see a lot of Bartlein, Krieger and Brux....it would be hard to go wrong with any of those.  I shoot a Savage and therefore use pre-fit barrels.  I have personally had good success with Criterion barrels (30" Bull with 1:8 twist) that I got from Northern Shooters Supply.  I've gone thru two and each has shot very well in a number of local 1000 yard matches.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Rob01

"Building"? How so? You buying an action and prefit barrels or ordering the rifle from a smith?

Neither of the two you mentioned would be my first choices. Bartlein, Krieger or Rock Creek would be up higher. I would also say cut rifled versus button too but I am sure that will ruffle some feathers but I have had much better results with cut rifled barrels.

After choosing brand then you need to choose length, contour and twist. Also chamber and freebore depending on what bullets you plan to use. Shouldn't be a need to spend $800 unless you are buying carbon fiber or buying a prefit barrel.

Bugholes has supplies of barrels on hand. http://www.bugholes.com/category-s/1818.htm

autoxforfun

+1 on dealing with bugholes (Southern Precision Rifle).  They are good to talk to, very helpful and do good work.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

mnbogboy

The bullet choice ie; weight, bc and mv you are looking at will help you choose twist & length.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

writerman

Wow! So much to think about. Thanks! It's an AR and yes, I am building it myself. Maybe that would help with further dialog.

lg65cmsd

December 27, 2021, 11:08:54 PM #10 Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 11:11:02 PM by lg65cmsd
I was told or read, a long time ago, that rifles are built around the bullet.  You already have the cartridge/caliber in mind.  And range you wish to shoot.   Find out what bullet and weight the others are favoring.  Then what twist rate they favor, what contour, what metal, the method of rifling, 5R or 4 (or does it make a difference), finished length.   This ties into what mnbogboy wrote.   Then you can order this up from the top name brand barrel makers I know of.   

I have both bolt and a gas gun (6.5CM).  An AR-15 platform is easy to build, akin to legos.  An AR-10, not so much, b/c of parts interchangeability or lack there of from parts maker to maker.  I'd go with Aero Precision matched upper and lower.  Trigger Tech Diamond (I put that in my Rock River Arms.  JP bolt and bolt carrier.  An adjustable gas block (adjustment located on the front of it, for easy access).

You might be limited to brand of barrel selection because the barrel does not thread into the receiver.  Ballistics Advantage makes bbls for ARs.  I believe Proof Research does too, but check that.  Do some research and make sure your parts will marry up with each other before buying them.   lg

bikemutt

What @lg65cmsd said about AR10, it's an imperfect platform as far as parts compatibility goes. I built mine with a matched Aero Precision receiver set and a JP barrel. I went with a +2" gas length which is said to perform better versus a standard rifle length system; in other words, a rifle length gas system may not provide enough pressure to fully operate the action. The JP barrel includes a matched bolt. I'm partial to SLR Rifleworks adjustable gas blocks, they have click detents and don't have to be miserably disassembled for cleaning. I did note they are having a year end sale  ;) .

Even with all that, I had to use a barrel extension shim in order to line up the gas tube with the nut and stay within the recommended torque range on the nut. I think Aero could solve this by having more flats on their nut, maybe they do now.

Good luck with your build. In some ways a sprinkle of adventure added to an otherwise rote assembly operation like an AR15, is fun  ;D   
Chris

jvw2008

December 28, 2021, 05:00:31 AM #12 Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 11:12:09 AM by jvw2008
Quote from: writerman on December 27, 2021, 02:02:01 AMI am building a new 6.5 Creedmoor, and would like to know from your personal experience, what barrel is THE 1000 yard choice? What have you personally experienced? I have JP and Shaw as two I have researched. I could spend around 800 for the barrel, so it can be a good one. Thanks in advance.

When you said you were looking for a 1000 yard barrel, I and maybe some others inappropriately assumed you were planning a bolt action build. The AR platform is not noted for precision that can give you acceptable accuracy at a 1000 yards.

The only AR I've seen that can accomplish what you are looking for is a SCAR 20. This rifle was developed for the US military sniper around 2015 by Fabrique Nationale. At the time this rifle was being evaluated, I was amazed with its performance. I watched snipers constantly hit one MOA steel at 1000 yards and beyond. Needless to say - I wanted one. That desire got put on immediate hold when I was told the military was paying $18,000 per rifle and it wasn't available to civilians anyway.
Since then FN has started producing this platform in both 7.62 and the 6.5 Creedmoor. However, it is still available to only the military and law enforcement.
Here is a link. You might study this rifle a little to develop ideas for the rifle you want to build.

https://fnamerica.com/products/fn-scar-series/fn-scar-20s/

jvw2008

You might wonder why the military would be attracted to a high precision AR when they already have sniper bolt action rifles capable of 2000 yard kills.
Most sniper engagements are under 1000 yards and the sniper typically is paired with an observer to call  adjustments from a miss on the first shot. With the reduced recoil of an AR, the sniper can see the splash of his first miss, adjust, and send a second round in a much shorter time frame. The reduced time equals better success.

bikemutt

I think the SCAR 17S is generally available now Jerry, in 6.5 Creedmoor.

I almost did a trade, my SCAR 17 7.62 NATO for a 20S in 6.5 Creedmoor. I passed now that WA made all semi-auto rifle transfers more onerous than I'm willing to accept.

The one I'd dearly like to have is the 20S NRCH, non-reciprocating charging handle. It's the one thing I consider a flaw in the design of the 16 and 17 SCARs. I have a non-reciprocating handle on mine but it's kludgey at best, still beats whack-a-thumb though :)
Chris