January 24, 2022, 04:06:31 PM

News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Proper way to clean binocular lens

Started by bikemutt, December 25, 2021, 08:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikemutt

I was cleaning out a drawer and rediscovered a small scouting binocular in its soft case. Its an older Tasco 10x25 model which is now discontinued, but the glass is darn good for what it is.

Anyway, the fully coated lens are filthy with dust and sagebrush pollen, I'd like to clean it up and deploy it for it's second life.

It doesn't say it's waterproof or fog proof, and I'm pretty sure it's not idiot proof  O:)

Figured I'd ask folks here for cleaning ideas so I don't turn a rescue into a ruin.

Chris

LeadHammer

I hit mine with an air duster, from a few inches away. Then use a lens pen brush to gently brush debris away. With a safe glass cleaner and microfiber cloth I clean the lenses. Then finish with a clean lens pen non brush end.  I have some Zeiss lens wipes I use to get grease off if needed as well. Just make sure all dirt and dust is gone before wiping down. After the Zeiss cloths, I use the lens pen end again.

jvw2008

Be careful with the air canister!  If the propellant gets discharged you can freeze and crack a lens. Several folks have ruined good scopes that way.

lg65cmsd

December 25, 2021, 05:37:30 PM #3 Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 05:45:43 PM by lg65cmsd
Hi Bikemutt, I retired and taught scuba and UW photography.  You clean binocs the same way a person cleans a camera lens.  What advice both LeadHammer and JVW 2008 gave you is correct and safe.  Use a liquid , if using one, that is made specifically for camera lenses, verses something like WiIndex (LOL).  Always clean from center of the lens out.  Using lenses wipes are a good idea as again, they are made for that purpose and contrasted to using a paper towel.   

These same 'tips' work for any optic, scopes, spotters, binocs, camera lenses. 

IF your binocs are not waterproof and you are going to use a liquid lens cleaner, just apply the cleaner to the lens cleaning tissue.  Anyway, hope this helps.  lg

OH, one more thing, and this does not apply at the moment but for future reference.  Do not clean a lens unless it needs to be cleaned.  That is until you see something on the lens, or something on it when peering thru it.  Lens coatings, if any, will wear. 

LeadHammer

Quote from: jvw2008 on December 25, 2021, 02:45:03 PMBe careful with the air canister!  If the propellant gets discharged you can freeze and crack a lens. Several folks have ruined good scopes that way.

Yes I should have mentioned to keep the air straw well away from the glass. Thanks.