News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

recommendations on 6mm BR BUILD

Started by Gone Fishin, December 17, 2021, 10:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HufD63

Quote from: gman47564 on December 21, 2021, 08:04:06 PMJerry without someone using the rifle its just a chunk of steel  setting there.. a rifles inherent accuracy  is revealed when someone puts in the time and effort to bring it out of the rifle.. im sure you will disagree and thats ok..

It is what it is, some are talking about getting the most accurate rifle available to them and you are talking about grabbing a random stick and seeing how accurate it is.

Huge difference
Dave

jvw2008

To me, the statement "accuracy costs" has nothing to do with the shooters ability. It means a rifle constructed by a competent smith with components that are expensive (because of their quality) is going to inherently have less bullet dispersion then a rifle with lesser quality components. Yes, an excellent marksman can shoot any rifle with more accuracy than a novice. But in that situation the excellent shooter isn't improving the accuracy of the rifle, he is simply making less shooting mistakes. He has not changed the inherent accuracy of the rifle. Accuracy costs money but it takes marksmanship to demonstrate it.

gman47564

it takes marksmanship to demonstrate it.

Thats the point im trying to make
Grant

jvw2008

Maybe a better way to state this is:

A rifle's precision is often determined by the amount of  investment in its components and assembly. Increased precision can have a positive influence on a shooter's accuracy.

Gone Fishin

I am tickled to death how this project progressed from me really having no clue what I wanted to the point of getting a rifle within my budget that should be much more accurate than this shooter!  Thanks for helping me down the path.
What I think everyone is kinda saying above is that this rifle will be more accurate than I can shoot, but with some work at it, the rifle should help me improve as a shooter.
Dont get me wrong, I have no problem head shooting squirrels with my .17 HMR or my .17 WSM ( man that is cool).  This longer range stuff is a different creature!
Thanks again for all the suggestions.  I will mention the things on the bolt to the smith.  I will be back for help on developing a load in about 6 months when the Manners stock makes it in.

Gone Fishin

Siimultaneous post jerry.

By the way, still looking for 6mm br dies.  preferably Forster or Redding

HufD63

Dave

jvw2008

@GF     
" What I think everyone is kinda saying above is that this rifle will be more accurate than I can shoot, but with some work at it, the rifle should help me improve as a shooter."

Shooter's have a tendency to interchange the terms accuracy and precision - even us old farts fall into the trap of referring to a rifle's accuracy when what we are actually referring to is its precision. In reality we should talk about a shooter's accuracy and the rifle's precision.  The ability of the rifle to put shots on target that are very close together (regardless where they are on the target) relates to its precision. The shooter's ability to put all those precision shots in the center of the target refers to accuracy.

When someone says a rifle's accuracy we know what they mean even though it's the wrong terminology.

HufD63

Dave

jvw2008

Yes it is- especially with the price drop.

I think that is the stock that has an internal chassis?

HufD63

Dave

autoxforfun

Quote from: Gone Fishin on December 21, 2021, 09:09:05 PMSiimultaneous post jerry.

By the way, still looking for 6mm br dies.  preferably Forster or Redding
Take a look at Whidden as well....they make a great 6 Dasher so I assume they will make a 6 BR as well.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

HufD63

Quote from: autoxforfun on December 21, 2021, 10:57:18 PMTake a look at Whidden as well....they make a great 6 Dasher so I assume they will make a 6 BR as well.

If I couldn't find something else I would not hesitate to upgrade to the Whidden, very nice dies!
Dave

sportacus

If you have the shot, take it.

boltman13

What I mean, and the Gunsmith who first told me this means, is the inherent accuracy potential of the rifle.  The best components, assembled by a gunsmith with the skill and experience to get the most accuracy from the components provided is what costs $.  There are many very high quality actions, barrels, stocks, scopes, brass, and bullets available.  The ultimate level of accuracy achieved is a combination of the quality of the components, skill of the Gunsmith, precision of the handloader, and their skill as a shooter.  A highly accurate rifle in the hands of an unskilled marksman with a poorly tuned load is not accurate.  An inaccurate rifle/load with the most skilled shooter isn't either.