January 24, 2022, 05:09:04 PM

News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Cant believe i just done that..

Started by gman47564, December 13, 2021, 08:47:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman47564

Nice afternoon out here today.. thought i would shoot my dasher a little.. got it out of the safe and set it in my tipton gun vise.. half ass i should add.. meaning it wasnt setting in there like it should have been.. setting on the folded bipod on one end and the pistol grip on the other end.. its only going to be there long enough for me to grab a box of rounds for it.. i turn to get the box of rounds and no sooner than i did my rifle hits the floor..  :o dang it.. pick it up and set it back in the vice like i should have to begine with.. started looking it over and it must of landed right on the top turret knob.. its all bent over to one side.. grrrr  all my fault.. letting a 20# gun fall 3 feet.. its a wonder it didnt break the turret off.. called vortex and told them exactly what i had done.. he said no big deal.. he would send me a shipping lable and soon as they recieved it they would fix it free of charge and get it back to me.. one reason im a fan of vortex.. cant believe i did that.. so much for shooting the dasher today..
Grant

LeadHammer

Ouch.  Glad everything else looked ok. About 10 years ago, me and a buddy were headed over to a friends after work, to sight in our rifles. Buddy got there before me and the land owner, took his stuff out and paced off 100 and was walking back. The land owner drove up towards buddy in his Dodge truck......yep drove right over the rifle. I got there just after. Interestingly enough everything was ok with the rifle, the scope was replaced though.

autoxforfun

Great that Vortex is taking care it....pretty amazing really.  I think we've all had those moments were we get a little too casual with what we're doing and it bites us.   At the Nationals one of the top guys took his heavy gun (50 lbs) off the bench and put it on a table behind him....next thing you know it is on the ground....stuff happens.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

sportacus

Dadgummit!  Happy Vortex is squaring you away. 
If you have the shot, take it.

bikemutt

Ouch Grant!

Look on the bright side, at least the rifle didn't take the hit.

I remember like it was yesterday that quail hunt with my brand new, beautiful Browning 525 field grade 12 gauge. My wife bought it for me for my birthday. On a steep hillside, caught my boot in a sagebrush, went a$$ over teakettle down the hill. Lets just say, the shotgun became instantly, visually, well broken in :(

Chris

gman47564

Dang.. vortex is on top of it.. less than 24 hours they had a shipping label at my door.. scope is now boxed up headed back to them..
Grant

gman47564

Got my scope back today.. elevation mechanism had to be replaced.. said the did a recoil test on it and tracking.. said its good to go.. can get back to shooting the dasher i reckon.. got it mounted back on the gun. Still have to sight it in..
Grant

sportacus

Grant,
Good for you. Making the transition from Leupold to Vortex.  When L tells me me they can't provide a service that used to be routine and can't now because of Oregon Covid restrictions, which they they did, not impressed and more than a little pissed.  Their custom shop has left me hanging in the breeze a couple of times since 2017.  Typed a follow on sentence in this rant about pony tails, picnic tables and smoking dope, but deleted it.  O:)  See what I did there. Mentioned in previous threads, mushy L dials leave me wanting. They had better tighten up or Vortex, Tract, NF and our German cousins will roll them under.
Wayne
If you have the shot, take it.

LeadHammer

I don't mind Vortex, but many up here go for non accidental repair. I did Athlon last time. Tracks great, holds zero, wish the glass was a bit sharper and the eye box more forgiving. We have a new Canadian company making scopes soon. Let me find the brand.......apexoptics.co  Hope they end up being a good scope. They plan on other sizes once up and running.  Back to Vortex, I think some gen 3 Razor's are out now.

gman47564

I know alot of people dog vortex but I've got several of their pst gen 2 scopes a golden eagle and a razor and I've never had a problem with any of them that wasn't self induced.. plus their big supporters of the shooting community..
Grant

bikemutt

My experience with Vortex support has been they are really good on their upper end products, but not so much on their entry level products. I've moved past being a PO'd customer, wish them all the best.

Chris

Cold Trigger Finger

Which ones did they not come through on ?
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

bikemutt

Viper red dot sight. After having two specimens mounted on a 9mm handgun shatter to pieces, they agreed to send a Venom instead at no extra charge, instead they sent another Viper. They denied having made the Venom offer. I sold the Viper since I had a pretty good idea what was going to happen if I used it.  As I said, I'm done being butthurt over the matter. I'm sure mine was an isolated case, and I'd give any of their top tier products a shot.
Chris

gman47564

Zeroed this scope back up this morning.. its about 5 degrees out so im curious what the zero will look like when it warms back up ...
Grant