January 24, 2022, 06:09:46 PM

News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Autotrickler V4

Started by bikemutt, September 10, 2021, 09:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikemutt

I said I wasn't going to order one, and I really meant it. I reserved one back in March, but I was not going to order one, no siree, not I.

Then I folded like a cheap tent last week and ordered one anyway :(

Should see it mid November or so according to the latest report from Adam.

Chris

VA-XBolt

Well, I thought about ordering it as well, but I've got a number of the Area 419 accessories and components for v3 which probably, or won't work with the v4. I like the newer technology, but I think I'll sit on the sidelines a bit for v4.

bikemutt

Quote from: VA-XBolt on September 15, 2021, 03:36:30 AMWell, I thought about ordering it as well, but I've got a number of the Area 419 accessories and components for v3 which probably, or won't work with the v4. I like the newer technology, but I think I'll sit on the sidelines a bit for v4.

Mine is a full-loaded Area 419 v3 as well. I have noticed lately my belt has started grinding the gears a bit, not sure if it's the belt or the pulleys, probably just needs a fresh belt. The thing I'll probably miss most is the drop tube, I doubt it'll fit the v4. The rest of it won't matter as the v4 has all the "stuff" in one assembly.

I'll probably end up selling the v3 as-is with the Area 419 upgrades, end up keeping just the scale.
Chris

VA-XBolt

September 24, 2021, 03:55:57 AM #3 Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 03:58:08 AM by VA-XBolt
Having seen a few videos of v4, I'm hoping that Area 419 will add in some new options for that version. In particular, I'd like to be able to keep their machined self centering tray and powder cup, but with the different drop tube location in V4, I'm not sure how that will work out.

Also, I like the Area 419 Pyrex hopper tube that I currently have with my V3. I don't change powders a lot, currently only reloading for 2 rifles and one pistol caliber, but I do like the idea of the V4 coarse drop arrangement, and easier cleaning between powders.  But, not in a major rush to change just yet.

MJeff23

I'm doing beta testing on the V4.  It is a very nice piece of equipment, major improvement on a very good system..  I use the 419 cup, but ditched the centering tray on my old V3 setup.  With V4, I just placed the printed center piece where I wanted the 419 cup to be placed on the scale plate.  The cup location is at the edge of the scale plate.

I also used the 419 powder hopper with V3.  The V4 hopper will hold over a pound of powder. 
Jeff
First impressions are forever.....you don't get a second chance

bikemutt

Got the new V4 Autotrickler setup today, gotta say, it's real nice.

Having the throw, trickler and electronics integrated is sweet.

Adam knocked it out of the park  ;D

Chris

HufD63

Dave

jvw2008

gman47564

Grant

bikemutt

So far the only thing I'd like to see is a way to turn off automatically dispensing powder. The older version of the app allowed me to set the charge weight, and control dispensing manually using the keys on the scale. From what I can tell so far, as soon as I punch in a charge weight and apply it, it's off to the races.

I'd more or less trained myself to focus on charging a case first before placing the cup back on the press because, even though V3 was slower which incentivizes a quick cup return, it was too easy to forget to move the funnel to the next case, we all know how that story ends. And, my V3 was not as robotic as I may have liked so, keeping an eye on the dispensing function was important. All of which is a roundabout way of saying "too many things going on at once". I found it helpful to have the dispenser wait for me to tell it to go until I got my rhythm dialed in, then I'd put it on auto pilot.

I can't say for sure yet that I need that functionality back; wishing for a manual mode on a machine almost sounds silly, I'll play with it some more. The good news is if I manage to convince Adam it's a needed function, that's just a software update :).

Chris

gorillamotors

So do you think it was a worthy upgrade from V3 to V4?
Jim Harris
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid". Sgt Stryker

bikemutt

Quote from: gorillamotors on December 31, 2021, 05:04:44 AMSo do you think it was a worthy upgrade from V3 to V4?

I would say yes, it's worth it.

It's faster than my V3 and, so far, it overthrows less with H4350.

Unloading powder is about on par with V3, maybe a bit easier once you get the hang of it.

I sold my V3 for $250, the V4 was $500 shipped so the net cost of the upgrade was $250. Judging by the overwhelming responses I got on the V3, pretty sure I could've got more for it.
Chris

MJeff23

Quote from: bikemutt on December 31, 2021, 09:43:34 AMI would say yes, it's worth it.

It's faster than my V3 and, so far, it overthrows less with H4350.

Unloading powder is about on par with V3, maybe a bit easier once you get the hang of it.

I sold my V3 for $250, the V4 was $500 shipped so the net cost of the upgrade was $250. Judging by the overwhelming responses I got on the V3, pretty sure I could've got more for it.
Definitely worth the upgrade.  V4 rarely overthrows compared to the V3--I primarily use H4895, N140 and N150.

I'm going to sell my V3, so thanks for the info on selling it.  I had several Area419 upgrades with it, so I'll ask a little for than 250.
Jeff

bikemutt

Quote from: MJeff23 on January 01, 2022, 05:46:02 AMI'm going to sell my V3, so thanks for the info on selling it.  I had several Area419 upgrades with it, so I'll ask a little for than 250.

I had a few Area 419 parts with mine as well. The one thing I made crystal clear in my ad is the A&D scale was NOT included, lol.

Curious if you had, and kept the Area 419 milled cup and scale platform? I decided to go with the new shot glass cup that came with the V4, never really warmed up to the milled one.
Chris

MJeff23

Quote from: bikemutt on January 01, 2022, 06:38:29 AMI had a few Area 419 parts with mine as well. The one thing I made crystal clear in my ad is the A&D scale was NOT included, lol.

Curious if you had, and kept the Area 419 milled cup and scale platform? I decided to go with the new shot glass cup that came with the V4, never really warmed up to the milled one.
I never really liked the 419 bottom plate (it's in a box somewhere), but continue to use their milled cup.  I use the bottom plate that came with the scale.  I tried Adam's shot glass during beta testing of V4, but went back to the 419 cup pretty quick. 
Jeff