January 24, 2022, 05:18:44 PM

News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Ever seen this?

Started by gman47564, April 09, 2021, 03:34:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman47564

Was sizing some hornady 6.5 creedmoor brass this morning and sized this one and it didnt look right.. looked like a crack in the neck shoulder junction.. took my fingernail and sure enough a crack.. put a little pressure on the mouth with my finger and bent it over.. case has been body sized with a redding body die and neck sized with a lee collet die.. annealed each of the 4 cycles its been through.. neck turned after the first firing.. neck thickness on this one is 13 thousandths.. thought maybe i cut it to deep in the shoulder but it broke a hair above the shoulder.. any thoughts.. the rest of my cases look fine in this batch..
Grant

jvw2008

I have not seen this but since the defect seems to go all the way around I would be suspicious of a cut too deep on my that one particular piece of brass.

gman47564

Thats what i think to jerry.. its been fired 3 cycles since turning the necks and the shoulder has migrated forward a little..
Grant

Ranger 188

Might want to check all the others before shooting them.

gman47564

Done have gregg.. glad i caught that one before i chambered it and let it fly..
Grant

Ranger 188

Figured you would.
Did you find any others that were iffy?

gman47564

No others that i could see had any issues..
Grant

FJC

Grant

Prior to neck turning did you verify the brass was all the same length?  Turning a shorter piece of brass may have dug into the shoulder deeper than anticipated.

gman47564

They were all trimed to length before i turned them in a 21'st century lathe.. but that paticular case may have been short to begin with.. i watch that cutter pretty close when turning the necks but that doesn't mean i didn't cut that case to deep.
Grant

chazwood

I've had that happen. I was my fault I cut just a little too much into the shoulder when turning the necks. It's just one of those things you do learn and move on.

NightForce

Neck turning with a sharp corner transition into the shoulder radius creates a week point. When the round is fired the brass flows at different rates and as it hardens cracks will appear.
Why are there more than male or female genders listed?

mnbogboy

Quote from: NightForce on January 01, 2022, 06:06:53 AMNeck turning with a sharp corner transition into the shoulder radius creates a week point. When the round is fired the brass flows at different rates and as it hardens cracks will appear.
I had this happen once on a batch I was pulling down. That batch had several hard sweaters and the neck came off with the bullet. Those too had been turned to thin the neck to ease the seating. Another live and learn moment.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith