News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

Lapua and the annealeez

Started by gman47564, June 10, 2019, 07:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman47564

Just annealed 50 6.5x284 lapua cases and thought they was so pretty I would share.. :D
Grant

bikemutt

Those look a bit overdone gman, you should send them all to me for testing, lol

Nice job!
Chris

Ranger 188

He does all the grilling around his house.
G, how do you decide how long you keep them in the flame?
I know on their website, usually 5-6 sec and others say just as they
turn color.  It varies by brand also.
Whats your way to determine their done?

gman47564

you are right Gregg.. it does vary by brand... the Hornady cases I want them to come out of the flame just as they start to turn orange... takes about 6 seconds for that to happen with my bottle of propane... the lapua never started to turn orange but I kicked them out of the flame at 7 seconds...whether their right or not I don't know... but they look just like they did when I took them out of the box new... I sized them with a forster fl die and checked 25 of them for shoulder bump and every one was bumped .0015.. so I think their good to go.. :)
Grant

LeadHammer

With my dual torch, use temp stick to make sure I don't overheat down the case, and heat one to orange flame, then speed up my timer to arrive at no orange flame. With Hornady brass my target time is 5 seconds just before getting an orange flame. Grant those look very nice indeed!!

CaptGrumpy

I time mine to stop cooking just as the flame starts to hint at turning color.
Now as far as BBQ goes it is right in there with annealing!
BTW I now have an Aneeleze to go with my Bench Source Vertex since my brother passed away this year. I am able to anneal to my heart's desire now!
Chris
Yup! That is a 6.5 in my saddle scabbard

Shipahoy55

I use Tempilaq 750 when annealing rifle brass.

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Windsage

I always set up the Annealeze at night.  With the lights off, you can easily see when the flame starts burning tin and turning orange.  Then I just back off the time very slightly from that.  It's generally in the 5-5.5 second range for Hornady brass.  I also check the anneal by squeezing the neck of a case with pliers.  It's not as scientific as I would like, but it does seem to be repeatable.  I don't have issues with splitting and never have to adjust my resizing die to get the same shoulder position.  I normally use brass about 10-12 times and cull them by primer pocket looseness.

One thing I did learn with the Annealeze is that you have to let it run a bit before using it so the little propane bottle reaches a stable temperature.  Otherwise the flame will constantly be getting smaller on you.  I have considered adding a regulator and larger bottle to eliminate this, but just letting it run a while before using seems to work ok.

LeadHammer

I got tired of the little bottles so did a two torch 20lb er setup. Like it so far. Need to make an aluminum version.

Tyarnall

Quote from: LeadHammer on June 11, 2019, 06:32:20 PMI got tired of the little bottles so did a two torch 20lb er setup. Like it so far. Need to make an aluminum version.
Is that with an Annealeez? I have been wanting to do that. Do you have a picture or two, by chance?

LeadHammer

Quote from: Tyarnall on June 12, 2019, 07:55:50 AMIs that with an Annealeez? I have been wanting to do that. Do you have a picture or two, by chance?
Nope made a dual torch setup from wood, use my iPhone and a  deep socket and drill.  Works excellent.  Adjust the flame to get near that 5 seconds mark and tweak with the iPhone metronome app, the time in flame. ( before orange flame)