Skip to main content
Topic: Hi from new 6.5 owner (Read 1285 times) previous topic - next topic

Hi from new 6.5 owner

:)Good morning all, I just found this site last night and had to join. Kind of a long story of how I came up with a Ruger Hawkeye in 6.5 Creedmoor, but the more I read about it, the more excited I'm getting. I came up with a new Hawkeye and 2 boxes of the 120 Amaxes. I will be going back to get the last 2 boxes of 120 Amaxes also since its kind of hard to find loads or brass right now. But hey the factory loads I'm getting for $26.50 a box so I guess I can live with that for now. I will need to get the dies of course later.  I plan to use this for hunting and a little paper punching. Must decide on a scope and considering cutting the barrel down to about 23".  I'm thinking that 130 accubond may be just the ticket or maybe just the Hornady 129 interlock. Anyway got a lot to get figured out since this is the first 6.5 for me so I guess I better get started. Thanks for a great forum, hope it sticks around. See ya Les.

Re: Hi from new 6.5 owner

Reply #1
Welcome to the forum.

Reply #2
You'll love the caliber. I enjoy shooting again. After a year of 300wsm shooting  :( a little 6.5CM is a joy. With a 10lb gun recoil is negligible. You might want to rethink cutting the barrel down though. Length is needed if certain velocities is wanted. My 26" tube is the shortest I'll go if I build another one.
It's not hard to reload this caliber either. New dimension die set, a, 50 brass , 120 A-max, all from Midaway USA and H4350 and your set. The only problem I have is finding Federal LR Match primers.  I don't think a substitute would matter.
I used mine for hunting but never shot anything yet but paper. Groundhogs this spring hopefully.
I shoot 120's 123Lapua, and 140's
Your right 130's is the ideal weight bullet.
Let me know how you make out with your rifle

Reply #3
Well its been a little while so thought I would check back in. I have had the rifle out twice now. I mounted it with a burris FFII balistic plex scope 3-9x40 and the first time out it started raining before I finished but I did get a nice 3/4 inch 4 shot group at 100. I took out just a little bit of the barrel channel on the right side where it was rubbing and lightened up the trigger quite a bit with a spring switch. Sunday I shot six 3 shot groups. On one I lost my concentration and knew when I shot that it was not up to par. It was 1 inch. 2 of the groups were right at 3/4 of an inch and the other 3 were 1/2 inch. All shot off sand bags on a bench at 100. All were the factory 120 Amax load. I'm really starting to like this rifle. I have a synthetic stock coming for it so my walnut Hawkeye stock will be for sale soon and I am going out to Midway this morning to pickup my RCBS dies that just came back into stock.  Now its time to get serious at working out some nail driver loads with a suitable hunting bullet. Still considering the barrel chop but my funds have about dried up for a little while so I will shoot it as is for now. I still like the shorter lighter handy rifles for hunting and who knows, the shortened stiffer barrel may tighten those groups a little more. Take care everyone. Les

Reply #4
Sound like you have a real shooter there. You'll need to post some pictures when you get a chance. Let me know your hunting load when you get to it.

Reply #5
Making an update here. I put a synthetic ruger stock on the rifle and continued to get nice groups but it looked like maybe the stock was rubbing a little giving me double groups. Sooooo I decided to free float it. Uhoh, groups almost tripled in size :'(. I put some cardboard shims in at the range and determined it likes a little pressure, but not too much. Well now I have to build up a glass pad in the forend. I will maybe add some carbon arrow shafts in the forend as well while I am at :-\. Hopefully I can get it back to shooting. Idid load some 120 Noz BT's with 43 and 44 grains of H4350. That was kinda in the middle of all this so not sure how thats going to turn out. May have to start over. Anyway, still liking it but it is a little more challenging now. Take care, Les

Reply #7
tankerjockey,
If your rifle is picky on barrel up pressure, you can make your own epoxy pad(either Devcon or even jb weld). Drill or dremmel out area, release agent everything, pop out pad and tap a machine screw from bottom of stock up to pad, replace epoxy pad and use machine screw to push up on pad. Once a good pressure found treadlock the machine screw.
Sounds like your very mechanically inclined so fixing your pressure problem should be no problem.