News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Annie Annealer

Started by CaptMarine, March 04, 2021, 04:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptMarine

Has anyone ordered one from Fluxeon within the last 2 months?  I've had one on order now since January 13th.  Communication on Feb. 2nd indicated another 2 weeks.  Now over 4 weeks and again may be shipped March 19th.  Just wondering if anyone else is having the same issues.  Trying to decide to cancel or wait them out.
CaptMarine

gman47564

The way things are right now pretty much everything is taking longer to get out the door and in your hands.. i would say if you want it wait it out..
Grant

jvw2008

Curious why you chose this annealer over the AMP annealer?

CaptMarine

CaptMarine

jvw2008

Ok. I thought they were about the same price. I see that one version of the Annie is also in the $1350 range. Does the Annie have a self setting program for the particular brass you are using?

CaptMarine

I ordered this one: https://fluxeon.com/product/31302/
Frankly I don't even know why I bother.  I'm not trying to become a world class shooter, at 72 years young, didn't buy the rifle for that so I ask myself every time I purchase something new, why?  Personal satisfaction I guess.  I'll buy a $1500 gun, but my son will purchase a $15K dollar gun.  I keep telling him I have just as much fun, all be it, I'm probably more frustrated at the end of the day than him.  Being old fashion, trying to tell him you can't buy yourself to be an expert shooter.  Shooting makes you a better shooter.

I play the game, clean brass, measure and weigh brass, measure and weigh bullets, try different powders, different loads, different seating depths, and so on and so on.  Heck even keep spreadsheets of all my data collected, but at the end of the day it's just a competition among myself.  Me, myself and I trying to outdo each other.

I had a Hornady piece of brass show an indication of a crack, not at the neck, so I figured it is time to get the annealer.  The Annie uses a timer based on the use of Tempilaq (750 degrees).  I figure for my purposes, my brass, my expectations it is the way to go.  With my RPR and reloads I can hit a 1000 yd target, so can my son, but I do it cheaper, maybe not the same MOA, but still have fun.
CaptMarine

jvw2008

That looks good Capt. Just like you said it has the basics you need to do a real good job. I like the fact that it is compact and has water instead of air cooling. Definitely more economical than the AMP. You will be the first on the forum (I think) with one of these. Please give us a report once you do get it set up and operating. Hope they get it moving your way soon.

autoxforfun

Some of the folks I shoot with have Annie's and seem pleased.  In fact, one of the guys is pretty technical and has provided input into the design over time.  They also like the water cooled capability.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

CaptMarine

I hope it works out for me.  I've been  waiting over 3 months.  Finally received confirmation that it has shipped (3-29-2021).  You wouldn't believe the excuses given me.  Anyway, with COVID and California state of mind I shouldn't have expected anything more.  Now I just hope the thing works.  If it works it will do the job for my purposes.
CaptMarine

DHuffman

I hope it works for you too, I've been watching the thread waiting for your review.

Keep us posted please!
Dave

autoxforfun

Quote from: CaptMarine on April 02, 2021, 11:13:06 AMI hope it works out for me.  I've been  waiting over 3 months.  Finally received confirmation that it has shipped (3-29-2021).  You wouldn't believe the excuses given me.  Anyway, with COVID and California state of mind I shouldn't have expected anything more.  Now I just hope the thing works.  If it works it will do the job for my purposes.

If you have problems, let me know.  I know someone that is pretty skilled with this product that may be able to help if needed.  
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

CaptMarine

As requested I'm submitting my personal review of the Annie Annealer with Water cooling system.  I'll break it down in Pro/Con format.  Just remember I have no experience in induction annealing and providing this review as a user.  So here goes!

Pro's
1.  Item received well packed - no damage during shipment.
2.  Easy to Assemble.
3.  After setup, using 750 degree tempilaq, was able to determine my annealing time for Hornady and Starline brass was 1.3 seconds/case.  Pretty darn quick in my opinion.
4.  For my hearing unit it is quiet, caveat I have some hearing loss in upper range from being around jet aircraft most of my adult life.
5.  Annealed a string of approx. 75 cases just as quick I could put them in the coil with no over heat issues.  Coil with the water cooling never got hot.  Never concerned about touching the coil.  Did notice the cooling fan sped up some with just a little (I know subjective, but no decibel meter) additional noise.
6.  Garett at Fluxeon is a pleasure to work with, not his fault ordering parts of any kind is such a hassle these trying times.

Con"s
1.  Long lead time to receive - Ordered January 13th, Received April 5th. USPS delivered to neighbors home.  Honest neighbors, yea!
2.  After setup and initial turn-on had a small coolant leak at an elbow fitting.  Fluxeon sent me a replacement elbow, snail mail that took another 10 days.  Installed new elbow, no leaks.
3.  The Annie alone will not accommodate the height required to have the coil in position for annealing the case neck.  There must be some height adjustment for the Annie or the case in order to have the right height to position the case in the coil.  I made a box similar to what this gentleman did (mine not as fancy but works well): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-Ughsmw1pQ&ab_channel=EinarPetursson.  There is also a lab jack type available from Fluxeon or Lyman bag jack which you can put the Annie on.  I have both, didn't like either one.
4.  This may sound weird - have to verify with Fluxeon - but I did get the feeling that you could double tap the heat/timer button which would restart the induction timer.  May have done just that twice????
5.  Even though the Annie has rubber type feet there is the tendency for it to slide on a slick surface (mine is pine board) when the heat/timer button is pressed.  Adjusted by placing hand on top of Annie and pressing timer button with thumb.  Learning curve.  Maybe get the foot switch attachment or some anti-skid on board.

Now that I have it, used it, I'm really pleased with the unit.  I can't imagine another annealer being any faster than this unit, especially with the home made box setup.  Nothing is perfect so time and more getting familiar with the operation of the unit and the annealing process will tell.

Any questions please shoot at me.  I'll post pictures of what I have setup tomorrow and random selection of annealed cases.  Post them as they are grabbed from the bin.
CaptMarine

DHuffman

Thanks for the update.
Dave

Roaneman

Appreciate the well thought out review.  These annealers are pricey investments and this will doubtless help those pondering their options.
Roaneman

CaptMarine

CaptMarine