News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

Hornady A Tip Bullets?

Started by ALL THE WAY, April 28, 2019, 09:40:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OLEJOE

Quote from: rardoin on May 04, 2019, 08:27:45 PMI heard they are going to come out with another version of the 'A-tip' that has a recess in the meplat...they are going to call it the 'A-Hole'.  Perhaps just a rumor.... :o
You can't make up stuff like this. LMAO

jvw2008

So enlighten me. Bullet expansion aside, how is an aluminum (metal) tipped bullet that has to be independently joined to the core and is still subject to deformity during shipping etc ., better then a continuously jacketed copper (metal) tip?  And if tipped bullets are better for accuracy, why don't they show up in the upper echelons of BR and F Class competition?

Said like a Berger fan. ????

OLEJOE

Quote from: jvw2008 on May 22, 2019, 09:55:08 PMSo enlighten me. Bullet expansion aside, how is an aluminum (metal) tipped bullet that has to be independently joined to the core and is still subject to deformity during shipping etc ., better then a continuously jacketed copper (metal) tip?  And if tipped bullets are better for accuracy, why don't they show up in the upper echelons of BR and F Class competition?

Said like a Berger fan. ????
Maybe because Berger doesn't make any ?

autoxforfun

I wanted to try these so I got on the waiting list at Powder Valley.  I ordered a box each of the 110g 6mm and the 135g and 153g 6.5mm A-Tip.  I received the 110g and the 153g today..  Figure I'll run the 110g in the 6mm CM and the 135g/153g in my two 6.5 CM.  I have one with a 1:8 twist and one with a 1:7.5 twist. 

Before I load any, I plan to take some measurements and see how consistent they really are.  I did take a quick caliper to 10 of the 153g to see how consistent the OAL was and they all read right at 1.502" +- 0.0005.  Once I get thru a larger sample, I'll post more measurements.  The ones I can do easily are weight, OAL and BTO.

They do look nice but the packaging seems a bit over the top.

Bob
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

gman47564

nice bob... still waiting on mine from midways backorder.. I seen yesterday where powder valley had them...keep us posted on what you think of them as you test them ..
Grant

Fuj

Quote from: autoxforfun on June 14, 2019, 09:24:54 PMThey do look nice but the packaging seems a bit over the top.

Bob

After reading Hornady's press release, the bullets are packaged
sequentially right off the press. So it's my understanding that each
container is not packed from a mixed lot. That container may be
part of the engineering process for the machine. Better then a
bulk lot sloshing around in shipment.....I also see that Hornady
did print a minimum twist rate on the box.

autoxforfun

Fuj, maybe ensuring that they survive shipping was the goal.  They provide you a packaging that should allow you to take each in the order of MFG which may be benefit.  But the first thing Hornady wants you to do is to take their cloth bag(included) and dump the bullets in and then massage them in the bag to clean them.  Apparently there is some oil remaining and this is the process for removing it.  I am sure they have a reason for the packaging but it takes up more room on the shelf and in shipping than the small Berger yellow boxes.

I went thru 25 bullets in order.  This is half of one of the plastic trays that they come in.  I have not done the same exercise with Berger....would be interested if there is comparative data that others have on this.

Bob
Bob

gman47564

them are pretty impressive numbers bob...
Grant

DHuffman

I agree, very impressive. I still think they're going to have to get more cost competitive if they hope to sell a lot of them. God help them if they don't shoot very well. All the keyboard sub MOA shooters will burn them at the stake if they don't  shoot very well or get a few blow ups.

I'm pulling for them and hope they do well.
Dave

autoxforfun

I needed to see how these compared to another leading bullet.  So I took 25 samples from a box of Berger 140g Hybrid Targets that I had and performed the same measurement.   I think it will come down to seeing how they fly, since the data is pretty close.  The Berger did better in being consistent with the weight, but the Hornady was noticeably better in BTO.  Due to how the two bullets differ in their pointing process, the Berger varied a lot in OAL, but not sure if that really matters.  In thinking about this, the BTO may be the more telling measurement since we seat off the Ogive.  Variations in BTO would change how deep the bullet is into the case which would influence pressure.  Now to load some and get to the range.

Bob
Bob

gman47564

Good information bob. Thanks for sharing..
Grant

sportacus

Quote from: HufD63 on June 15, 2019, 07:31:50 PMI agree, very impressive. I still think they're going to have to get more cost competitive if they hope to sell a lot of them. God help them if they don't shoot very well. All the keyboard sub MOA shooters will burn them at the stake if they don't  shoot very well or get a few blow ups.

I'm pulling for them and hope they do well.
My kinda expanded hunting crew is standing in the wings waiting for you comp guys to give us unvarnished critiques.  Introduction/progression of 6.5 CM deer rifles and ammunition has made us a jaded lot.  If it won't shoot half MOA at 100, trade bait in a New York minute. Have mentioned here before.  Early in my LA pine thicket, lowland swamp deer hunting career, in a pie plate at 100 and you were Dan'l Boone. Now, with this bunch and the boys in south Texas, if you are on Doe Patrol and you don't put it under the ear or between the eyes, you are unworthy.  Have not had to cook breakfast or clean toilets yet, but know my time is coming because of the ravages of aging.  Am hopeful they will be accomodating of this old soldier.
If you have the shot, take it.

CaptGrumpy

Quote from: rardoin on May 04, 2019, 08:27:45 PMI heard they are going to come out with another version of the 'A-tip' that has a recess in the meplat...they are going to call it the 'A-Hole'.  Perhaps just a rumor.... :o

It was about to happen but then they discovered that the bullet performed like sh!t.   :o  :))  :))
Chris
Yup! That is a 6.5 in my saddle scabbard

Litehiker

Pardon, you should be SPANKED for that blasphemy against Father Hornady. (Check with yer wife to see if she'll oblige.;o)

The "A-Hole", INDEED!

Eric B.
"I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times."

autoxforfun

Got around to loading some of the A-Tips.  These are the 110g for the 6mm CM that I'm building.  Now to get the stock finished so I can go see how they really do.  I'll also be loading the 135g for the 6.5 CM over the next couple of days. 
Bob