News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Heading out

Started by LeadHammer, November 25, 2021, 09:10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeadHammer

Well I'm heading out this am, white tail.  Lost a few quarters of land to hunt on, but going to wing it. Wish me luck. Taking the Stealth in 6.5CM. -5 Celsius and up to 12.5 mph winds. Could be worse.

sportacus

Good luck.  I am taking a break today.  Thanksgiving dinner and Yellowstone marathon.  Best buck I have seen lately is wandering behind the house about 20 minutes before legal hours are over.  If he shows today, will give him a hard look.  Big bodied 8, just have not been able to study long enough to age. Wife does not want me to shoot off the back porch.  Will compromise.  Will set up by the fence around the stock pond. I could give Jeff Foxworthy inspiration for lots of material.
If you have the shot, take it.

mnbogboy

Good luck wayne, at this point the back porch would not deter me.
Things have been slow in both MN  & WI except for the two big bucks my son and grandson bagged.my other son sent a picture of a coyote this morning.
My wife and I are going out for turkey dinner soon. I will spend time with family on Saturday before resuming my WI hunt on Sunday morning.
I also have an archery buck tag for WI an expect to buy an MN  version where I am allowed one buck also. Muzzleloader is legal in MN  right now and WI will also extend their season after this coming Sunday with a week long smoke pole season. I have yet to shoot mine but i may dig it out this afternoon. I like the Blackhorn 209 results I got from it last time I shot it. 3 inch groups at 100 yards with 250 grain sabots. It's a cva  optima with a begara barrel.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

sportacus

Randy,
I have been a BH 209 fan since it first came out.  Shoot 120 grains with a Harvester sabot and Harvester 300 grain bullet out of a Knight Mountaineer.  Extended rifle seasons in LA and TN.  Too long.  Deer get educated.
Good luck with the with the remainder of your hunts.
Wayne

LeadHammer

BH 209 should do 1-1.5" groups at 100 no problem.

Well almost got into a very sweet spot, got land owner permission, trying to get ahold of the dude leasing it now.
If I can get this spot, it will be a 100-150 yard death trap. Tons of buck tracks, it even has an old roofless square grain bin I can use as a blind.
The only bad thing, is the location has an ass hat guy kitty corner to this land. Grouchy anti hunter ish guy. I would probably have to make a " I have permission to hunt " sign to put in my truck window.
At another location I saw 2 bucks following does. One was ok but never gave me a great look at it. Besides running straight away from me.

mnbogboy

Quote from: sportacus on November 25, 2021, 03:28:05 PMRandy,
I have been a BH 209 fan since it first came out.  Shoot 120 grains with a Harvester sabot and Harvester 300 grain bullet out of a Knight Mountaineer.  Extended rifle seasons in LA and TN.  Too long.  Deer get educated.
Good luck with the with the remainder of your hunts.
Wayne
I found mine likes 75 grains best. Also I do not get a crud ring at all like I did with a pellet as not combo. I tried many combinations of pellet weights.
The crud rings had to be brushed out between every shot and were enough to stop complete bullet seating.with Blackburn all the crud ring totally disappeared.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

LeadHammer

mnbogboy

Quote from: LeadHammer on November 25, 2021, 09:15:15 PMIs that 75 by weight?
yes 75 grains weighed out on my beam scale and stored in a speed loader.
I plan on shooting it today. Hope zero is still there! The optima is topped with a cheap Simmons 3-9 and shot well the last time I shot it.
Edit: shot real close with it yestetday, no zero shift from last year
 Close enough to hunt with
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

LeadHammer

75 will be good, I run 77 by weight=110 volume. I shook loose a Bushnell Elite 3200 on my Muzzleloader before, got it repaired.

sportacus

I also weigh my loads.  84 by weight equals 120 by volume.  Harvester came out with a more efficient 300 grain .44 cal bullet and thicker sabot (green.)  I got serious when I did my prep.  Consistently got 1.5-2 inch groups.  Did not get to fire it in anger during TN muzzleloader.  Passed a 8 point that I probably should have shot.  Have a CVA Paramount HTR in .40 on back order.  Like Grant gathering for his AR-10, I have everything on hand to put this baby together except the rifle.  Talley 20 MOA pic rail, radial brake from Anarchy,  Leupold VX-5 HD, the 225 grain projectiles built for this gun, plenty of BH 209 and LRP's.  This rifle does not use 209 primers.  Have read all the reviews and watched the videos.  MV of 2740 with 105 grains of BH by weight. The recommended load. Two inches high at 100, dead on at 200.  Nine inch drop at 300. This is a legit 300 yard smokepole.  I would never stretch it that far .  As good as my 50 cal Knight has been to me, a little squeamish about turning one loose past 150.  I have several pasture edges on my place in TN where I have 200 yard shot opportunities. 

LeadHammer

No luck so far, between sending my kids off to school before I leave, I miss the sunrise hunt, home early today, kids home by 3:30, miss the evening lol.  Saw 4 smaller bucks today, a few does.  I have a feeling my new spot is an evening hunt.

LeadHammer

Had some time for an afternoon til dark hunt today. No bucks to be found.  I had 4 does come out to the field however, right at 150 yards. I was waiting for a buck to follow them out but nothing doin. I also saw at least 12 more does out at 7-800 years away, and one grouse in a tree. Here is part of my view out the makeshift blind. ( old grain bin ) I need to camo up the doorway a bit and make some changes to it next year.