News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Burris PEPR type mount

Started by ManOWar, February 05, 2019, 07:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManOWar

Should this pair of rings be lapped being one solid piece?
I normally use Burris XTR Signature rings with the inserts but want to try the PEPR QD mount on an AR.

Westie1

I wouldn't worry about it. I use the 1" version on my AR, and have had 2 different scopes mounted without any issue. Really like this style of mount for the AR. I can switch from my Burris 4.5x14 to my Vortex StrikeFire II and back without losing zero.

Cold Trigger Finger

I've been thinking about a low powered variable on my AR15. And was thinking about the PEPR or the SSALT mount.
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Westie1

Did a quick check on that SSALT. Sounds like a decent mount. Like the idea of being able to use either a 1" tube or a 30mm. Started out with a Bushnell 3x9 on my AR15-fit the budget and worked well enough. Shop where I got the 4.5x14 was closing, so price was right. And my eyes appreciated the extra power. For a low power vari on an AR15, I think something like a 1-8 would fit the ticket. Though a 2-10 would be a good alternative, if the weight is kept down. My burris checks in at 18oz, so with the mount that's 26oz on top. I wouldn't go any more than that.

Cold Trigger Finger

That's kind of what I was thinking as far as weight went. Mine is an M4 style and I wanted a light little carbine. For now I have a Bushnell red dot on it. 3 moa dot. I like it for around the house and that its nice and light.
 I would like a 1-4 x24 SWFA Classic on it for predator hunting . Or the Nikon 1-4 Black Force.
  But at this time they are out of my budget.
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Westie1

Sounds good. From what I've heard, which isn't much, think I would go with the SWFA. Though with my eyes-been wearing glasses for close to 50yrs-I would aim for a little more magnification. That said, a 1x4 should work out well for you.

As to AR's, mine is a S&W Sport II. Not the fanciest or the biggest name. It fit the budget and has worked well. Unfortunately, because of the laws here I've had to alter it. Refused to register it as an Assault firearm, so went featureless-No flash hider, No pistol grip, No adjustable stock.

Cold Trigger Finger

I had the 1-4 SWFA on my 6.5 Creedmoor and it was great ! I also tried it on my 375 Ruger but the eye relief was not sufficient on 4 power for a 375.
  I'm of the opinion that a non adjustable butt stock isn't a terrible problem on an AR. The no flash hider law is just silly imo. Same with no pistol grip.

Popeye212

I have the Pepr QD and the permanent mount on 2 AR's.  The QD is on the Sport ( original version) an the permanent on my Frankenbuild Grendel.  Both have held up very well.  I did not lap the rings.

Belt Fed

I have a few of those mounts and never lapped any of them and none have ever moved. I don't have the QD thou. I also use blue Loctite on the screws. May be hard to remove  but I don't plan on it unless the scope breaks

Westie1

The magpul fixed stock fits me just fine, LOP isn't a problem. Plus it gets rid of the wobble the standard adjustable has. As to the other regs, the Idiots that supposedly are working for "The Benefit of the Voters" about 15miles west of me, are trying what they can to backdoor around the 2nd Amendment.

Back on topic. My scope/scopes have been on and off several times with no problems. Haven't loctited  any of the screws.

Kansaswoodguy

I have about 10 of permanent mounts and 1 QD never lapped any and have had no issues. Buddy of mine had diffrent brand of rings leupold or LaRue I can't remember the brand. They where letting the scope slip on a 300 WM he 3M Scotchkoted the rings allowed to dry no more slip I do believe he had previously lapped them but it didn't help, issue drove him a little crazy