Neck tension, something I've been working on: a full neck "crimp"

Started by bikemutt, December 11, 2019, 01:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikemutt

Quick update: I pulled the bullets from a non-crimped and a crimped round today, there was no measurable or visible change to the bullets. They where both .264" diameter before and after.

Hope to shoot another batch tomorrow or Sunday.
Chris

jvw2008

Cool!

That's 100% of one though. Hopefully you will continue to find the same as you measure a few more.

bikemutt

True, one data point does not a trend make.

I want to see more results before I get too tied up with side effects. If there's really no demonstrable, consistent improvement in ES/SD, or nothing shows up on the targets, it's just another moonshot that didn't pan out as envisioned :)
Chris

gman47564

I really think and hope you see an improvement on the target...  don't forget me when you get rich and famous from this.... :) :)

oh yeah if it doesn't work out I don't know you... chris who ....lmao

just kidding ya chris... you may be onto something really good ...
Grant

bikemutt

Finally got to the range today. The weather here has been terrible for shooting, the range is located at the wrong elevation when it comes to fog, it's mostly a this time of year thing. Today arrived without fog but with rain that's hard to describe; it just doesn't stop. This is where moss was invented :)

Anyway, Browning X-bolt 28" thoroughly cleaned barrel. 25 rounds annealed Alpha brass, 40.5 gr H4350, 140 gr Hornady BTHP bullets, CCI BR-2 primers, 0.013 OTL, necks brushed with OneShot. These were all "crimped" after seating per the topic at hand.

Maybe because of the rainstorm but Labradar decided to crap out on the second group for 2 consecutive shots.

Considering the adverse weather conditions, a freshly cleaned barrel, I'm not inclined to say yes, extra crimp is working for me, nor am I inclined to kiss it goodbye yet. At least I had a sub-MOA day and, a sub-MOA day beats any day at work, and twice on Saturday :)

Velocity data are all Average, Maximum, Minimum, ES and SD.

Chris

GaCop

I find this concept very interesting and will have to give it a try with my Creedmoor loading.  I do my latest load testing at 200 yards and will be taking it all the way out to 1k in the next few weeks.
Tom S     Vietnam Vet - Jun 66 to Dec 67  RET Military and LE