News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

Cartridge preferences

Started by gorillamotors, November 17, 2020, 10:57:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gorillamotors

I own 2 6.5 creedmoor rifles and I am looking at getting another 6.x caliber rifle. PRB website shows that the most popular rifle cartridge is a 6.5 PRC. Any suggestions on any other calibers you guys would want for a second precision target rifle?
Jim Harris
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid". Sgt Stryker

VA-XBolt

I've had similar thoughts, and had looked at the 6.5x47 Lapua as a candidate.

However, given all the variables in reloading, powder, primers, brass, dies etc, I stuck with the 6.5 Creedmoor for my third rifle build, currently in progress. I did buy a .300 PRC for Elk, but I don't think I'd like shooting that one a lot for target/PRS etc. Lots of interesting things out there, some also in 6mm, but for me, I just can't make a good case for going down that road.

Ranger 188

I  would say 99% of us started with or had a 6.5 Creed and have moved on
to also having some sort of 6mm.  (multiple) Try it you'll like it.  8)

gorillamotors

Quote from: Ranger 188 on November 17, 2020, 12:17:31 PMI  would say 99% of us started with or had a 6.5 Creed and have moved on
to also having some sort of 6mm.  (multiple) Try it you'll like it.  8)
Which 6mm? 6BR, 6BRA, 6 X 47, 6 Dasher, 6CM, 6XC, etc
Jim Harris

jvw2008

Quote from: gorillamotors on November 17, 2020, 12:43:40 PMWhich 6mm? 6BR, 6BRA, 6 X 47, 6 Dasher, 6CM, 6XC, etc

What do you want to do with it?

gorillamotors

Quote from: jvw2008 on November 17, 2020, 01:03:19 PMWhat do you want to do with it?
If you would have read my original post I said it was for target shooting. In particular long range.
Jim Harris

eas1949

NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

jvw2008

Quote from: gorillamotors on November 17, 2020, 01:18:53 PMIf you would have read my original post I said it was for target shooting. In particular long range.

Missed it. Eric gave you two great choices. Both have commercial brass available now as does the 6 CM. Middle of the pack and possibly the best all around is the 6BRA. It requires fire forming from the BR commercial case but the FF loads are accurate enough to compete with. If you feel you have to run your Bullets hot then the GT or the CM but your barrel life is going to suffer.

DHuffman

Dave

gman47564

whats the weather like where you shoot... windy all the time... pretty calm most of the time ? if its pretty windy alot of the time i would consider a 6.5x284 since you already keep 6.5 bullets for your creedmoor... if the wind is fairly calm alot of the time the 6mm creedmoor is pretty sweet... i shoot a 6br and its super accurate but so is the 6 creedmoor and i personally like it better than the 6 br...
Grant

autoxforfun

I am partial to the 6mm CM (have two).  I shoot against a lot of folks with 6BR and their variants.  I must say, they are good.  It would be hard to not take one seriously.   Grant makes a good point with the 6.5-284, especially if you want to run the heavier bullets.  I looked at the XC and it seems so close to the CM that I went with the more (now) common option.  Then there is the 6mm ARC....if you want a round that could be used in an AR-15 as well as bolt rifle.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

jvw2008

In 600 and 1000 benchrest the 6 Dasher and 6 BRA trade places back and forth for King and Queen of the competition. Doesn't matter whether the range is normally windy or not. It's the same east coast, mid west or west coast. If wind was an insurmountable issue, you wouldn't see either one of them in 1000 yard competition. They are not only there, they kick ass consistently.

Kansaswoodguy

I just went with a 300prc but I'm shooting 1000+ yards one of my shooting buddies picked up a 6.5 PRC and it did very well at 1000 yards for first time out and factory ammo.

sportacus

Several of us have picked up 6.5 PRC hunting sticks since last year.  Mostly Browning X Bolts and a couple of Savages and Bergeras  All are hammers.  Bambi and Porky don't even wiggle after a 143 ELD-X does its magic. 
If you have the shot, take it.

sportacus

And, gathering up my CVA Scouts in 35 Whelen that I had loaned out for LA primitive.  Have three.  Trade bait.  Tired of the inaccuracy and the a** stomping that comes with the endeavor.  These are no brake earlier versions.  Not recoil shy.  If they shot tight, would gut through it.  But they don't. Going to trade for a 450 Bushmaster with brake and some cash. Been reading the reviews of the boys in the upper Midwest where straight wall is required.  Shooting tight groups with factory.  Have been fighting off the urge to dive into precision muzzle loading but starting to get weak.  Some hands out there put together stuff that is sub MOA at 300 for reasonable prices.
If you have the shot, take it.