News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Hornady 6.5 147gr using Alliant 19

Started by MrCrackling, April 26, 2021, 05:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrCrackling

Is there anyone out there using Alliant 19 with the Hornady 147gr ELD - Match. I am looking for a recipe to match the factory stated 2695fps velocity but using the RL19 instead of the Hodgson H4350 (factory use)?

Or can suggest another Alliant product with a recipe to use with this Hornady ammo?

The Marshall

In the 11th Ed of the Hornady Reloading manual, 42.2 grains of IMR-4831 is the max load for a 147gn ELD-Match bullet. RL-19 is very, very close to the same burning speed as the IMR powder. I think using 39 grains of RL-19 is a safe amount with RL-19.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
Every man has got to know his limits.

DHuffman

I'd start lower and work up.

I think we all need to exercise extra caution in sharing load information like this, specifically estimations based on past experience with similar powders with no known published data.

I'm not against helping each other out but things like lot to lot inconsistencies and different barrels brass and primers etc. can greatly affect what's a safe load in one rifle and what's not in another.
Dave

Windsage

Quote from: MrCrackling on April 26, 2021, 05:27:40 AMIs there anyone out there using Alliant 19 with the Hornady 147gr ELD - Match. I am looking for a recipe to match the factory stated 2695fps velocity but using the RL19 instead of the Hodgson H4350 (factory use)?

Or can suggest another Alliant product with a recipe to use with this Hornady ammo?

RL16 is my go to powder for the 147 ELD-M. 

I did some ladder testing with RL19 a couple of years ago.  It is faster than either RL16 or H4350, but lacks the temperature stability.  When I did my testing, I based it on Sierra's testing of RL19 with their 142gr and 150gr.  In both cases, they listed loads up to about 45.6gr.  The lowest thing I tested was 43.8 gr and even that was running 2730 fps.  My best guess would be 2700 would be below 43gr.  So start low.  My tests were done with Federal 210 primers and a 24" barrel.

Again, as HufD63 said, start low.  Even the best powders can vary between lots.  Your mileage may vary. 

MrCrackling

Good advice by all to start low and watch for the pressure signs. Appreciate all the advice

Rayatphonix

I've tried RL 19 several times with 140 grain bullets.  For whatever reason I can't seem to come up with a load that shoots consistently.  Perhaps you'll do better with a heavier bullet. Let us know how it works out.

MrCrackling

Managed to get out and ladder test from 41gr up to 44.8. Best consistency was at the 44.3gr mark at .6 MOA (100m) with speeds in the 2560fps average BUT temperature did effect. First loads were at 9C in the morning and I repeated the tests when the temp was up to 16C. Similar consistency and SD but the warmer temp were all above the 2600fps. Same across all the loads. Maxed at 44.8 with only 2 of 10 rounds showing a tiny bit of cratering on the primer.

Tikka T3X TAC A1/24Inch/1:8/CCI BR2 primers/Hornady brass and Alliant RL19.

Good advice and thanks to all for the start low rule as I am a novice.