News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Advice needed for purchaseof powsder throw.

Started by mnbogboy, April 13, 2021, 07:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman47564

The baffle is a v shaped piece with a hole on both sides.. the baffle keeps the full weight of the powder in the canister off the internal drum.. allowing for more consistent throws.. the baffle sets like this ^
Grant

jvw2008

Randy I'm curious. Are you thinking about using a powder throw in place of a scale?

mnbogboy

I thought i could throw charges into the pan and then trickle to finish. Of course every chatge would end up on the beam as before. Hoping the thrown chatges would be close to desired but held light for trickling.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

mnbogboy

Jerry, Grant was very kind offering me an autocharge which i accepted and he is sending this to me. Ive thought autocharge off & on forever thinking it would speef my hand trickled charges up immensly. Ive always used my adjustable measures made from empty cases with a hole tapped with 1/4-20 threads through the primer pocket. I adjust the chatge with an eye bolt and fill these with a funnel & then weigh each charge and trickle to the kernal. My old days had me trickling from an empty case by spinning it in my fingers (poor mans trickler.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

jvw2008

Well kudos to Grant!! I think you will find that tool super helpful. It will get you very close and definitely help with your powder manipulation.

Way to go Grant!! ????

DHuffman

Dave

gman47564

Quote from: HufD63 on April 18, 2021, 12:32:48 PMGrant that's an outstanding gesture! 

Happy to be able to help a fellow shooter out.. hope it makes things easier ...
Grant

DHuffman

Quote from: gman47564 on April 18, 2021, 02:24:15 PMHappy to be able to help a fellow shooter out.. hope it makes things easier ...

I agree but I'm embarrassed I didn't think to send him the one I have I'm not using sooner.
Dave

mnbogboy

Everyone  on this forum seems to be standup guys.
Not a week gors by and it is evident in many posts.
Todaysa machine shop wouldhave came in handy. .
shop session was taxing agaim as i schemed up an adapter to mount the powder throw.ended up silver soldering the drop tube to that piece of cut-off die.
Didnt play with the powder throw yet, maybe tomorrow. We had rain & snow again and the power went out half-way through my project and the nascar race. It was out for 3 hours. First time soldering by flashlight.question for you Lyman guys; how much powder do the graduations represent on the cylinder adjustment?
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

gman47564

I've used mine for a few years now randy and i couldnt tell ya how much the graduation marks are.. lol.. i always close the whole drum up.. then slide it all out till i get within a couple grains.. then start opening up the fine adjustments  to get where i want to be..
Grant

boltman13

When I loaded at the Range for short range BR and Hunter BR my Redding BR30 with a Sinclair drop tube gave outstanding consistency with Ball and super short stick like H322 or Benchmark.  As others have said consistent strokes are necessary and a gentle tap at the end as well.  I have never seen a Bench Rest shooter weigh a charge at a match.  A Harrels is their gold standard.

jvw2008

I've never run a Harrell's powder measure - would like to.  Their products are top notch and usually very reasonably priced. At $250 a pop that mechanism must be really good. ????

mnbogboy

Quote from: gman47564 on April 17, 2021, 06:27:44 PMThere should also be a baffle inside the powder reservoir..
i found a little info on the baffle including a "flat pattern" template for creating my own. Suggestions were made to use soda can metal (thin) and i gave it a try. As luck would have it i broke my silver solder joint and jury rigged a fine thread nut to be welded to the die piece. My left hand made my welding helmet manipulation help cause me to f it up when i went to arc weld it this am. Now im back in business because a pipe size reducer bushing found at the local hws is similar in thread size to the lyman part 7/8-14 to 7/8-11  5/8 -24 tp 5/8-18 hoping to get back out there after supper & get some testing/ calibration done.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

jvw2008

You're a pretty darn good engineer Randy ????

bikemutt

Good job Randy!

Lot to be said for rolling up the sleeves and making things :)
Chris