Skip to main content
Topic: Heading out (Read 837 times) previous topic - next topic

Heading out

Well Iā€™m heading out this am, white tail.  Lost a few quarters of land to hunt on, but going to wing it. Wish me luck. Taking the Stealth in 6.5CM. -5 Celsius and up to 12.5 mph winds. Could be worse.

Re: Heading out

Reply #1
Good luck.  I am taking a break today.  Thanksgiving dinner and Yellowstone marathon.  Best buck I have seen lately is wandering behind the house about 20 minutes before legal hours are over.  If he shows today, will give him a hard look.  Big bodied 8, just have not been able to study long enough to age. Wife does not want me to shoot off the back porch.  Will compromise.  Will set up by the fence around the stock pond. I could give Jeff Foxworthy inspiration for lots of material.
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #2
Good luck wayne, at this point the back porch would not deter me.
Things have been slow in both MN  & WI except for the two big bucks my son and grandson bagged.my other son sent a picture of a coyote this morning.
My wife and I are going out for turkey dinner soon. I will spend time with family on Saturday before resuming my WI hunt on Sunday morning.
I also have an archery buck tag for WI an expect to buy an MN  version where I am allowed one buck also. Muzzleloader is legal in MN  right now and WI will also extend their season after this coming Sunday with a week long smoke pole season. I have yet to shoot mine but i may dig it out this afternoon. I like the Blackhorn 209 results I got from it last time I shot it. 3 inch groups at 100 yards with 250 grain sabots. It's a cva  optima with a begara barrel.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #3
Randy,
I have been a BH 209 fan since it first came out.  Shoot 120 grains with a Harvester sabot and Harvester 300 grain bullet out of a Knight Mountaineer.  Extended rifle seasons in LA and TN.  Too long.  Deer get educated.
Good luck with the with the remainder of your hunts.
Wayne
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #4
BH 209 should do 1-1.5ā€ groups at 100 no problem.

Well almost got into a very sweet spot, got land owner permission, trying to get ahold of the dude leasing it now.
If I can get this spot, it will be a 100-150 yard death trap. Tons of buck tracks, it even has an old roofless square grain bin I can use as a blind.
The only bad thing, is the location has an ass hat guy kitty corner to this land. Grouchy anti hunter ish guy. I would probably have to make a ā€œ I have permission to hunt ā€œ sign to put in my truck window.
At another location I saw 2 bucks following does. One was ok but never gave me a great look at it. Besides running straight away from me.

Reply #5
Randy,
I have been a BH 209 fan since it first came out.  Shoot 120 grains with a Harvester sabot and Harvester 300 grain bullet out of a Knight Mountaineer.  Extended rifle seasons in LA and TN.  Too long.  Deer get educated.
Good luck with the with the remainder of your hunts.
Wayne
I found mine likes 75 grains best. Also I do not get a crud ring at all like I did with a pellet as not combo. I tried many combinations of pellet weights.
The crud rings had to be brushed out between every shot and were enough to stop complete bullet seating.with Blackburn all the crud ring totally disappeared.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #6
Is that 75 by weight?

Reply #7
Is that 75 by weight?
yes 75 grains weighed out on my beam scale and stored in a speed loader.
I plan on shooting it today. Hope zero is still there! The optima is topped with a cheap Simmons 3-9 and shot well the last time I shot it.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #8
75 will be good, I run 77 by weight=110 volume. I shook loose a Bushnell Elite 3200 on my Muzzleloader before, got it repaired.