Skip to main content
Topic: More struggling! (Read 302 times) previous topic - next topic

More struggling!

In an effort to ready my self for Wisconsin hunting I mounted my homemade remage on the 700. The leftover ammo from last year did not want to chamber well because I must have set the headspace too tight.
Yesterday I removed that 6.5/257 Bob so barrel and put the 6.5-06 barrel back on.
Low and behold the bolt would not close at all, so an afternoon and evening were spent researching possible causes. The walker trigger was blamed and a check was to remove it and see if it would return to battery.
Long story short that miserable little spring for the bolt stop did a couple of flights and took the rest of the evening until 2:00 AM to wrestle everything back to normal.
What's the best way to assemble that thing? I finally scotch taped the spring to the bolt release bar. This morning i got everything working again and am about to go out back & check zero. I imagine that the scope on the vortex rings over Warne steel bases will be close. ( hoping so). Got a lot more stuff to ready before saturday. Wish me luck on my late preparations.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Re: More struggling!

Reply #1
Sounds like your perseverance paid off Randy   👍

Good luck his weekend!

Reply #2
Good luck Randy!
Dave

Reply #3
Randy, isn't that the way of things.  As the time gets short, things that should just work don't.....

Good luck !!
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #4
Do the after market rem triggers include the bolt stop & related spring?
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #6
On my Remington clones, the bolt stop/release is separate from the trigger.  I can remove the trigger and the stop remains in place along the left side of the action......if I am understanding the question correctly.
Bob

Reply #7
The question was is the bolt stop an integral part of the aftermarket triggers. It was a real pos to get everything back in place. I can see leaving the pins partially in place then install the trigger and tap them back. Really awkward with only one hand.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #8
I've installed both Triggertech and Jewel triggers on Rem 700 clones, and the trigger just sits in the well at the bottom of the receive without any spring tension involved.  The pins line up and go in with a light tap from a tack hammer.  I got the minimalist triggers so perhaps there are some that are more complicated.
Bob

Reply #9
Glad you got it working.  I had a spring from my 9mm fly across the room once, took about 45 min too find it, it was in a box with kids clothes that was to be donated lol.

Reply #10
Good luck on your hunt randy..
Grant

Reply #11
Thanks guys for the good luck wishes. Things better go better there than here in MN,
I've hunted on and off for 12 days and have only spotted two year-long bucks and a number of does & fawns. MN  follows their regular rifle season with a 16 day muzzleloader season. I haven't shot my smoke pole yet this year!
Fighting to get a rifle suitable for the WI  hunt. I shot the 6.5-06 a number of times today. The best it would do was a 3/8 inch cloverleaf. And a couple of other scattered clusters. Nothing to writet home about. The cluster group was 140baccubinds left over from a couple years ago. I don't have any more of those pills but still have about 10 of the old loafs. I loaded some 140 Speer deep curls tonight and some 140 gold dots. Both the deep curl & gold dot are a electro chemical bonded bullet similar to the federal fusion (Speer makes the federal bullets). Last year the gold dots worked 100% for me. I planning an elk hunt in Wyoming next year and the 6.5-06 with those assorted bonded pills will get the call.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #12
Glad you got it working.  I had a spring from my 9mm fly across the room once, took about 45 min too find it, it was in a box with kids clothes that was to be donated lol.

LOL.  Been there, done that.  The tee tiny springs in Talley bases will run you ragged.  "Nobody move and don't turn on that vacuum cleaner, dear!"
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #13
Detent ball bearing from a Savage extractor. Found a week later in a Kleenex box.

Reply #14
Haha, for handguns now, I work with them in an extra large ziplock bag for the tricky springs. Having said that, it has been a long time since I touched any of them.
Jerry, I lost a small ball bearing for my atv winch one winter, holds the synthetic rope in. I could not fine one, then McMaster Carr had some, now I have like 99 more in a bag someplace lol.