Skip to main content
Topic: Black Walnut BR Stock (Read 512 times) previous topic - next topic

Black Walnut BR Stock

I was pretty burned out with reloading after shooting the Nationals last month, so I thought I would get after a little project I had in the wings.  I had found a small stock maker earlier in the year that made all of his stocks from native CA black walnut wood.  He would get it from a number of orchards in the area when trees went down.  He was wanting to retire and get out of the business so I thought I would help him out and picked up a bench rest style stock.  It was inlet for a Remington action, with a right port and magazine well.  I really needed a single shot stock with a left port......so after some thought, I figured I could make it work.

The port was easy, just needed to relieve the left side of the stock to match the port....still have the right side relief but not a big deal.  I also had to open up the forearm for the larger barrel but that was pretty simple to do with a 1" sanding drum. The harder part was what to do with the magazine well.  When I was doing the bedding of the action, I mixed up additional bedding compound (JB Weld) and filled in the well.  Then cut the relief for the trigger guard and sanded it smooth to the bottom of the stock.  There were a few air-bubble that I exposed as I sanded (the dark spots in the photo) but they are quite small.  This replaced the laminate stock on the 6mm Grendel, since it was not really suited for BR shooting.  Looking forward to taking it out.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Re: Black Walnut BR Stock

Reply #1
Nice looking stock bob.. pretty wood.. i watched a guy on you tube the other day.. he was making big table tops out of some real pretty wood.. he was fixing places that had cracks in the wood buy using the saw dust he had sanded off the top.. he would put that sawdust in the cracks and squirting some kind of liquid on it then sand it and do it again.. after about 3 or 4 times of doing that the crack was gone and you couldnt ever tell they was one there.. same with a small knot hole.. not sure what the liquid was he was squirting on there.. the reason i mention this is i wonder if you could do that to the mag well to hide the jb..
Grant

Reply #2
Good idea Grant.  I don't have any black walnut around but I do have a ton of oak.  I could make some saw dust, then stain it with the same stain I used on the stock.  Then route out a little of the JB to create a pocket.  It was thinking some clear epoxy resin might work if you created a paste with it and the sawdust.  Once it sets, then sand it down like before.  May not match perfectly but suspect it would be better than the JB.  I may mix up a little and try it out on a piece of scrap to see what it looks like.
Bob

Reply #3
Beautiful stock and finish.  If the oak sawdust fill doesn't work, you could fill the voids in the JB with bondo and paint the JB area flat black.  A clear coat over the black would shine like the trigger guard.
Jeff
First impressions are forever.....you don't get a second chance

Reply #4
Thanks Jeff.   I really enjoyed finishing a real wood stock....I'm happy with how it turned out.

I thought about filling the pin holes with body filler (done a lot of that before) and then masking and painting.  I may resort to that at some point but I'm going to experiment with the wood approach and see what I get.  
Bob

Reply #5
"I'm going to experiment with the wood approach and see what I get.   "  autoxforfun, did you figure this out yet?  What liquid to use to mix with the wood's saw/sanding dust?   If not, I can ask my nephew who is a gunsmith and wood worker.  lg

Reply #6
"I'm going to experiment with the wood approach and see what I get.  "  autoxforfun, did you figure this out yet?  What liquid to use to mix with the wood's saw/sanding dust?  If not, I can ask my nephew who is a gunsmith and wood worker.  lg

LG, no I have not done any work on this yet.  I've got a few other projects around the house that I need to finish first...you know how that goes.  So, I'm open to any insights and suggestions you or your nephew may have....thanks !!
Bob