Skip to main content
Topic: Snafu of the day. (Read 247 times) previous topic - next topic

Snafu of the day.

The old haste makes waste rule came into play for me again today. I had loaded up some 243 a couple of weeks ago for one of my savages that recently took on a take-off barrel I purchased a couple of yearsxago on savage shooters. Problem is I started with unknown brass and didn't paper clip test it. No visual separation rings but unfortunately one let go and separated completely. Usually I can extract the front half with a brass brush one caliber up or so. This time it didn't work! So I pulled the barrel and placed it veryicle in my verticle barrel vise. I ran a 3/8-16 threading tap into it until it started to spin and then it lifted right out. So much for today's shoot, I did get a bunch of velocities from one of the creedmoor using 130 Norma diamond line pills and pushing with h4350. I have some left to duplicate these and may just hunt Saturday with it. Also have some 120 ballistic tip seconds to play with. My 6.5/257 used to shoot those well with 4831sc.
Im.hoping to get 3k with them. Headed back out now to mount the scope on the 243 got some new rings today from uncle Larry to replace those God awful warne, which are so tricky to mount. I just watched a utube of a guy who taped one side to the railwith painters tape. I cussed those rings many time and think his idea will work well. This was my second set of warnes. Only 30mm I could get locally when I needed them. The first set came from cabelas bargain cave
The vortex ones I got today look great.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Re: Snafu of the day.

Reply #1
Glad you never got hurt or anything with that brass. Whenever I have a loose primer pocket, I take the brass to the garage and zip cut it in half, and give it a light sand with 400 grit paper. I have the paperclip and use it but find its kinda sketchy, especially since I have not found a thinned out brass yet to get a feel for it.

Reply #2
I have had a few separatevover thebyears  mostly from over sizing and shooting multiple firings in loose chambers. I made a tool out of an old straight screwdiver that i bent the tip slightly and filed it to the hape of a square edged hook that i checked every suspect case with. It became part of my routine. A case separation cost me a buck once. Dad made me a drive and a doe came out with a small buck hot on her tail. I hit the doe in the jaw on the first shot.(A meat drive at the tail end of the season). She ran to the edge of the woods and stopped. The little buck, a spike, stopped right behind her an stuck his nose in her butt. I leveled another round and the model 99 davage kammed asthe new carteidge would not chamber. Hewas as good as dead.those were in the bucks only years and we seldom went without being tagged out at the end of the season. I used dad's gun to trail down and finish the doe. A cleaning brush pulled out the front half once we arrived home. That surprise made me pay attention after that
 Mad at myself and dad wasn't happy either. I miss the days we hunted together all the time. Dad shot his last buck in 2008 at age 82. We hunted together for 56 years. He is with me on most hunts now. Sure miss his advice and help.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #3
This was an interesting post for me as I found my first thin case yesterday.

Reply #4
Here is a tool that will allow you to actually measure case wall thickness. I got one and started using it about six years ago. Wall thickness was part of my brass sorting process. After a while, assessing brass from different manufacturers, I found it wasn’t really needed if you purchase top quality brass. I found the lack of wall uniformity just isn’t an issue in Nosler, Peterson, Lapua, and Alpha brass. Can’t say the same for Hornady brass.

https://www.neconos.com/item/Concentricity-Wall-Thickness-and-Runout-Gauge-12

Reply #5
That looks like a nice gauge.  For my current set up, I do not need that .......... I believe my stock rifle is running at its limited potential.
 I really,. really, really would like to have a custom action, on a MDT XRS, with my tuner on it,  Arca rail, bipod upgrade, neck turn, new bushing die, good brass, FX120, etc etc. It's just not gonna happen anytime soon for me. I am in component collection mode and shooting mode. I am trying to get that chassis on my rifle somehow first, ( dislike the rear stock, its not good, and I often get high shots because of it ) a new MDT rear stock is most of the cost of the whole XRS chassis, plus I could go FDE and not have to pay for Cerekote.  I wonder what my Stealth chassis would sell for?  Half the price of an LSS?  Might help collect lost money on the XRS.

Reply #6
I really,. really, really would like to have a custom action, on a MDT XRS, with my tuner on it,  Arca rail, bipod upgrade, neck turn, new bushing die, good brass, FX120, etc etc.
I haven't got any custom actions yet. Almost pulled the trigger on one. Got quite a few mdt chassis' though. Actually just bought a XRS chassis for a new 223 I just got. Also got a arca rail and a double pull cyke pod. Even have a mini oryx chassis for my 10 year old son for his Grendel. Also kind of been collecting reloading components. Only when I find them cheap somewhere. Just scored a bunch of 147 eld-m's. For $20-30 cheaper than the next cheapest place.

Reply #7
@ leadhammer. I put this xlr butt stock on my stealth chassis.. big improvement over the factory offering..
Grant

Reply #8
I wanted the MDT skeleton carbine stock, in FDE.
I like supporting  Canadian companies if I can, plus they make good stuff.