Skip to main content
Topic: Ordered a lathe (Read 763 times) previous topic - next topic

Ordered a lathe

I've been looking for a lathe for a long time.....there were a lot of auto projects where I would have loved to have one.  Now with the gunsmithing activities, the list of things I could do just got longer.  I looked for a good used one but either I found junk or they were just too big for my shop.  Many required 440VAC 3-phase which would be a challenge for my residential power feed. 

I have an order in at Grizzly for a 14" model.    It is from China which I'm not fond of but the price was right and the reviews were all pretty positive.  Don't know when it will get here since it was back ordered and likely sitting in one of the several hundred container ships off the CA coast.

I've been rearranging the shop to find a place for it and moving some electrical outlets around.  It weighs around 1500 lbs so getting in should prove to be a challenge.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Re: Ordered a lathe

Reply #1
I think you are going to have fun with that Bob! I have a friend who is a machinist and who has his own equipment and shop. Over the last few years he has taught me a few of the basics when I ask him to make me some special reloading tool I’ve dreamed up. The fun part is seeing what you’ve imagined come to life.

Reply #2
The home improvement stores have delivery trucks with carry on fork truck's maybe an order from lowes or home depot that is timed right with the lathe delivery might be in order.kill two birds with one stone. Is there fork truck rentals near you?
I have a friend on another forum from NYC who has a small grizzly. He just messaged me that tomorrow he is shipping one of my barrels back to me. He made a factory Remington barrel into  remage for me. This barrel started life as a classic 6.5x55 and I rechambered it to 6.5/257 Bob Ackley. I sent him a remage nut to check the final fit
He turned the tenon and cut the bolt nose relief
 It will come too late for hunting season since I have been struggling with the rest of the stable.
Our deer season begins this coming Saturday and I do not have one rifle in the stable that is sighted in. The delay of no chronograph set me back as well as my inability to see well enough to old school boresight. I tried again this afternoon with a 243 barrel below the Leopold 6v 3-18. First 3 holes touching. The foam sound deadbeat in my garbage can silencer dropped in front of my scope blocking my view to shoot more of my loads. Hoping for better luck as this week moves along. There are 3 6.5 creedmoor waiting to try in the safe. Last night I annealed 100 brass in 3 calibers so more to do.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #3
Auto incorrect is killing me lately the foam sound deadbeat is now sound proofing my intention wad sound deadener
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #4
Looking forward to tuning up my 'turning' skills.  I have saved my old barrels for doing some practice work on.  As with so many things in life, it is the setup that is critical.  Once the work is set correctly, doing the work is pretty straight forward.

This is the one that I have on order:  https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-14-x-40-gunsmith-lathe-with-2-spindle-bore/g0824

I called the freight company and since they won't deliver without a loading dock.  I'm going to pick it up with my flatbed trailer from their facility in West Sac.   Then the challenge will be getting it out of the trailer and into the shop.  Working on how this will get done.....getting a plan in place.
Bob

Reply #5
That is a very nice unit. Especially like the DRO. It should do most anything you need. 👍

Reply #6
Looking forward to tuning up my 'turning' skills.  I have saved my old barrels for doing some practice work on.  As with so many things in life, it is the setup that is critical.  Once the work is set correctly, doing the work is pretty straight forward.

This is the one that I have on order:  https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-14-x-40-gunsmith-lathe-with-2-spindle-bore/g0824

I called the freight company and since they won't deliver without a loading dock.  I'm going to pick it up with my flatbed trailer from their facility in West Sac.   Then the challenge will be getting it out of the trailer and into the shop.  Working on how this will get done.....getting a plan in place.

Looks awesome.  I used our manual lathe at work for home projects, it was fun.
Our shop used to rent, not sure what they are called, "skates"?  They were adjustable for direction and would hold large amounts of weight, for cnc lathes, water jets, brake press etc. Once they were placed under the unit, we could push them around. ( floor was smooth )

They looked like mini tanks, had a turning handle ( detachable ) and many full length rollers for wheels.)

Reply #7
Bob I thought I attached a picture of the barrel my friend in NYC fixed up for me. He turned the tenon farther and extended the threads on this Remington barrel in effect he turned a take-off into a remage.
It started out as a used 6.5x55 Swede rem classic which I rechambered to a 6.5/257 Roberts Ackley. I shot it a few times in my 700 bit the throat of the old Swede was too long for whatever I was throwing at it back then.
I set it back a little and chambered it a little deeper before measuring everything and sending it to new york. My friend turned the shank down to the proper tenon size and picked up the threads and threaded it far enough to accommodate  the barrel nut.
In effect it is now a remage. I installed it back on my 700 today and have not shot it yet.
We are in the middle of a winter storm right now.
All is white outside. I did not hunt today, tomorrow should be a great day to be out there but i don't have a rifle I can trust right now. I will wait to shoot this for better weather but probably carry a 6.5 creedmoor tomorrow.

Edit: we ended up with 6 inches of heavy, wet, slushy snow. The trees were all bent over like me with a pack frame full of boned game. I quitearly and went home to shoottheremigton (betty lou). Strapped on the mag speed and my last year's loads averaged thethreads. He had a machinistfriendshow him.j up  had was pi n79. I had 2760 marked on the old box which I used in my savage in that caliber. I didn't recheck the twist on this barrel. It was a rem700 classic in 6.5x55 swede. Not sure what factorytwisteas back then but i will check it. If i remember correct I think It was 1:8 hope so. On my third and final group all three made one ragged hole.i was smiling then.
The biggest hurdle my friend in New York had wss picking up the threads.he had a machinist friend show him how.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #8
Threading is one of great things you can do on a lathe.  After some of basic turning skills, it is the first on my list to master.  I have kept a number of take off barrels that I can use to see if I can do exactly what you described.  Seems like I should be able to extend the threads just a bit,  cut the tenon a little and then clean up the chamber and I may have a barrel worth shooting.  Expect that I'll mess up a few along the way but I learn best while making mistakes.
Bob

Reply #9
Received notification yesterday that the lathe has shipped from WA.  So expect that I'll be able to go pick it up in Sacramento next week.  Got a place cleared in the shop and the 240ac wiring in place.
Bob

Reply #10
When I get home for good and have the time I'll be getting a lathe.
As of right now it will never be where I need/want it.
I miss not having one.
Dave

Reply #11
When I get home for good and have the time I'll be getting a lathe.
As of right now it will never be where I need/want it.
I miss not having one.

Dave, understand completely.  I had to retire before I felt I had the time available....only had to wait about 30 years....lol
Bob