Skip to main content
Topic: Savage bolts (Read 520 times) previous topic - next topic

Savage bolts

With not being able to do a whole lot yet i thought i would tinker around with the bolt in my prc.. its not bad by any stretch but like most savages its not buttery smooth either.. so i pull the bolt and strip it down and start looking everything over in it that moves.. first thing i noticed was the rear baffle.. on the inside of it where it slides over the body and down on the bottom where the hole meets the bottom of the baffle it comes to a point on each side.. got to feeling around on these points and their rough.. so i took a stone and rubed around on them and then took a polishing felt on a dremel and polished them.. next was the cocking ramp.. i polished it as well with the felt.. then i noticed the cocking sleve on the firing pin was gritty feeling so cleaned it and took the felt and polished the sleve inside and out. Same with where it slides over the firing pin.. polished that a little also.. then with a drop of lucas gun oil on the sleve and inside the baffle  i put it all back together.. could feel  a very noticeable difference when lifting the bolt in the gun. So much so i did 3 other bolts .. still got a few more to do but thought i would share what i did.. definitely an improvement..
Grant

Re: Savage bolts

Reply #1
Did  you take any pictures along the way......I think this would be very instructive for all of the Savage shooters we have.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #2
I didnt bob.. the next one i do i will take some pics..
Grant

Reply #3
Interesting thanks Grant, the one thing that bugs me with my Savage is the bolt lift, I mean it's ok, but certainly hard to stay on the rifle and cycle and be near to on target. My old A-bolt slaughters the factory blueprinted Savage action.

Reply #4
As does a properly timed Rem 700 action. Ya just can’t fault the rest of the innovative bolt design and the accuracy it can give when coupled with even a half way decent trigger assembly. I have some easier shooting choices to get behind but I still get a little smile on my face when shouldering up my 6.5 CM LRP on a bipod because I know it’s going to deliver.

Reply #5
Well i took some pics trying to show what and where im polishing these bolt parts.. this first one is the rear baffle.. if you pull that off and feel with your finger where my pencil is pointing it will be rough feeling .. i use a felt on a dremel to polish these areas till they feel smooth..
Grant

Reply #6
Next is the bolt body..  where the cocking pin sets in there theirs like a slight hook.. polish that hook.. it doesnt hurt to even take a little of that hook off with a fine stone and then polish it.. just dont get carried away and remove all the hook..
Grant

Reply #7
Next the firing pin and the sleve that goes over it.. on the sleve if you feel inside that slot in it it can be rough and gritty feeling.. i noticed some of them i done are rougher than others.. any way i polish that slot and each end of the sleve inside and out.. and on the firing pin if theres any rough ares around the hole the cocking pin goes in i hit it also with the felt
Grant

Reply #8
This is the felt im using on my dremel
Grant

Reply #9
Last but not the least is the firing pin spring tension might need adjusted.. if you drop the firing pin down in the bolt body and the hole for the cocking pin is at the bottom of the ramp in the body then you can back the piece the sleve fits over one full turn.. get that hole where the cocking pin goes up off the bottom of the ramp a 1/16 or so.. you dont want to go too much or you can get light strikes on the primer.. but if that hole is at the bottom of the ramp then a full turn wont hurt a thing.. this will also lighten the bolt lift a little

Also when you adjust this make sure the little notches on the sleve line up with the tab above the firing pin spring..
Grant

Reply #10
I hope these pics and explanations makes sence and helps my savage brothers. 😁
Grant

Reply #11
Great job Grant.  I hope this will help others on the forum.
Bob

Reply #12
I have on order a new bolt body from PT&G.  I measured the ID of the action and then spec'd a new bolt that should fit tighter and get rid of some of the sloppiness in the bolt.  It should be here in the next couple of weeks.  I'll post on how that turns out after I get it installed.
Bob

Reply #13
I run about a dozen savage actions and im not sure any of them feel the same.. lol the 111 i built my 6 5x284 on couldnt be any better. Its tight and smooth as can be.. as good as any custom action that i have ran.. then i have others that were sloppy as could be to the point i replaced the entire bolt in.. which helped.. just never know what your going to get with them.. i been tinkering around with them for a few years now and can get them where they run pretty good..
Grant

Reply #14
Thanks Grant, I will have to pull mine apart again and have a look.  I feel that when I first got it, I looked over the bolt feeling that it was decent, but I bet I can make it a bit better.

Edit:  I like your knife sharpened pencil lol. I do that all the time for the boys.