Skip to main content
Topic: First Round of Break-In of The Alamo Precision 6.5 PRC (Read 209 times) previous topic - next topic

First Round of Break-In of The Alamo Precision 6.5 PRC

Received the rifle last week.  Took my time mounting the scope.  Reticle perfectly levelled and proper torque all around.  A welcome break in the stifling heat this morning.  Everything laid out and ready to rock.  Decided to run a wet patch of Boretech Cu+2 through before I hit the go switch.  All engines stop!  Heavy black and blue.  Did two iterations of my normal clean and could still see copper streaks at the muzzle.  Started the APR break in procedure anyway.  While the barrel was cooling, called APR.  Asked how many test rounds fired.  Response: usually 1 or 2.  And the rep said they usually clean before they ship.  Not this one.  I was pi**ed.  Crazy thoughts going through my head.  If this [email protected] don't shoot, will head up to Rayville, LA and have it re-barreled.

My technique not especially good because of elevated blood pressure and mirage, but still got a 1.5 inch 5 shot group at 100 with ELD-M.  Mellowed out because I could already tell this stick is going to be a hammer.  Quit after 10 rounds out and did their recommended cleaning with Boretech, Kroil, VFG pellets and JB paste.  Magic!  Will start early tomorrow and shoot 20, clean, and break in done.  ELD-X, Nosler BT and Nosler AB next in the que.  One that shoots tightest will be my load for deer season 2021-2022.

This is a quality rifle built by a crew with a good reputation.  But,  haffle a**ing is not appreciated, or tolerated.

If you have the shot, take it.

Re: First Round of Break-In of The Alamo Precision 6.5 PRC

Reply #1
Calm down and enjoy it 😂
Dave

Reply #2
LOL!  Working on it.  Once went through a demanding physical/psychological drill for a special job. Had to be debriefed by a shrink on the psych profile.  He said I was psychologically sound but thought I had a tendency to make rash decisions.  He was a Lieutenant Colonel and I was a Major.  I broke out in outrageous laughter.  Could see he was puzzled.  My response, "Doc, what do your think got me to where I am today?  He who hesitates is lost."  I was a go at all stations.  Have mellowed with age but still have spurts where I expect people to do their jobs and then some.  I will enjoy it and hope to get it real bloody this season.

Reply #3
Dang wayne did they screw one of them railroad track savage barrels on that thing .. bet they did to collect that kind of copper after one or two shots of test firing.. could be a old used Remington barrel too i guess.. hard telling.. 😁
Grant

Reply #4
Grant,
You're killing me.   :))  Supposed to be a Muller.  It will all work out.  Joe Collier built me a 6.5 CM a few years ago. Bartlein.  A different experience.  The PRC is standing in the corner.  Will start slinging as it gets light enough to see the target.  Want to finish recommended break in this morning before it gets too hot.  JB paste, Kroil and felt pellets leave no doubt the crud is gone.  Know you have been doing your deep cleans in a similar manner for a while.  Plan to shoot 8 ELM-M followed by 8 ELD-X, clean it and done.  Then I'll be ready to start trying different hunting loads.  Quality of workmanship on this stick is impressive.  Like I mentioned yesterday, after the first 10 shots, could already tell this thing will come together.  Just got sidetracked with a unplanned cleaning session.  It's all good.
Wayne

Reply #5
Have no doubt you got a killin machine standing in the corner.. had to kid ya a little though.. if you can find someone that loads the berger 156 elite hunters you might give them a try.. my first barrel loved them ..
Grant

Reply #6
Grant,
Started cranking around 06:30 CST.  Had to take a break after 5 shots to apply skeeter dope.  They were bleeding me dry.  Slow and steady and kept the barrel cool or slightly warm.  Did the rough work with 6 ELD-M.  Was coming together nicely.  Then moved on to factory 143 ELD-X,  SHAZAM!  Made adjustment off the first 5.  Last 5 were in one ragged 3/8 inch hole at 100.  200 yard zero.  I can do better.  Was rusty as he**.  Have not tripped the trigger on anything, rifle, pistol or shotgun since I shot the feral hog in the back yard late December 2020.  After I sling 30-40 more, will break out he Magneto and build some dope cards.  Concur with you on the Bergers.  Lusting to build some loads with both the 140 and 156 Elite Hunters when we can lay hands on.  140 Elite Hunters from Copper Creek are magical out of my Creedmoors.  What a difference 24 hours make.  Over my case of the red  a** for receiving a custom rifle I had to clean before I could shoot.  Called the boys at Alamo and told them they done good.  If I miss a deer this season, will not be the fault of the rifle.  All on me now.  P.S.  The deep clean with Kroil, JB paste and felt pellets is a gamechanger from the normal break in drudgery.
Wayne

Reply #7
Grant,
Just re-read your last post.  We are going to roll our own.  Gave all my "stuff" to my nephew when I left for Germany in 1991.  Started gathering up equipment/ tools in 2012 but never got serious because quality ammo was plentiful and reasonably priced.  The 6.5 CM, 35 Whelen and 6.5 PRC drought got our attention.  The Three Amigo's have been chipping away.  Set for brass, primers and powder. Bullets the shortfall  I donated 200 ELD-X to the cause.  Holding 100, 130 Scirocco's and 100, AB 140's like Golum grasping the ring.  Those are "My Precious."   We can all make it for several seasons with factory.  But, when the Berger's  are available, we will jump.  Have two masters that are going to refresh me and train the other two.  A retired Apache pilot, a retired heavy equipment operator and a retired senior executive with USDA.  What could possible go wrong?  :))

Reply #8
Correction:  possibly not possible.  I hate it when I do that. 

Reply #9
Did have one little hiccup this morning.  The last round of factory ELD-M fired.  Bolt would lift but not extract.  Knew it was cocked so pulled trigger. Case ejected.  Learned that trick with a Knight Mountaineer muzzleloader that would not turn loose of a spent 209 primer. Primer cratered.  Ruh-roh.  We covet spent 6.5 PRC cases like Spanish doubloons.  That puppy was launched into the treeline.
Every other round I fired, ELD-M or ELD-X, case was pristine.