Skip to main content
Topic: Disappointed in the 6.5 prc (Read 520 times) previous topic - next topic

Disappointed in the 6.5 prc

Well it appears i have toasted another 6.5 prc barrel in around 600 rounds☹.  This one i didn't push very hard.. low 2900's its down in the low 2800's now with poor accuracy.. im in the process of stripping the barrel back to bare metal but got a feeling its not going to help this one.. but worth the effort to see.. i have a new one to screw on it that shilen sent me to replace the first one i toasted.. one thing i wont do with this new barrel is use rl26 in it.. thinking its a barrel killer in the prc.. i will work up a load with rl 23 in the new pipe if i have to screw it on.. once its done im getting out of the prc business.. lol.. i dont mind barrel burners but 600 rounds is a little extreme in my book.. for a hunting rig that gets shot a few times a year it would be a killing machine.. but for target work I'll pass.. just my opinion and experience with the touted 6.5prc..
Grant

Re: Disappointed in the 6.5 prc

Reply #1
I'm always hesitant to use RL powders especially in bigger overbore cartridges. No data to back it up but I think they're tough on bores.  If I had a 6.5 PRC I think I'd try it on H1000 and be happy with any speed over mid 2800s where it shot accurately. But I can do that with a 6.5-284 so there's no point I guess.
Dave

Reply #2
That's the problem with an overbore or necking down.
You need to push the smaller bullet faster to makeup for
the loss of BC compared to the larger caliber and thus
shorter barrel life.
Otherwise what's the point of a smaller caliber and running it slower
than it's big brother.
As Grant said, if it's used strictly as a hunting rifle,
then fine, but as a daily or weekly shooter, it's going
to eat barrels for lunch.
Been there done that.

Reply #3
I cleaned the barrel back to bare metal.. shot it 15 times and strapped the magneto speed on it.. lost 20 more fps.. down to 2811.. my original load for this was 2930.. my first barrel i run at 3050.. thought if i droped it down a node it would last alot longer.. nope!! I tried h1000 and retumbo in this barrel early on and low 2800's was about all i could get out of it.. might as well shoot the 6.5 creeds if your going to run there.. im going to screw the new pipe on after while and work up a load for it in the low 2900's with 23.. when that pipe is done the rifle will get a new 6.5x284 barrel screwd on it.. my other 6.5x284 has a 1000 + rounds down it and still driving tacks..
Grant

Reply #4
Grant, interesting observation regarding RL-26.  I've been using that powder in my 6.5-284 and after ~700 rounds, it is toast...even after a good cleaning.  I ordered a Krieger barrel early last year and I just screwed in on last weekend.  I'm not going to use what little RL-26 I have but rather give RL-23 a try in it.  I think that is what you use in your 6.5-284 if I remember correctly.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #5
Grant, interesting observation regarding RL-26.  I've been using that powder in my 6.5-284 and after ~700 rounds, it is toast...even after a good cleaning.  I ordered a Krieger barrel early last year and I just screwed in on last weekend.  I'm not going to use what little RL-26 I have but rather give RL-23 a try in it.  I think that is what you use in your 6.5-284 if I remember correctly.

Yes i have been using rl23 in my 6.5x284 since day one.. its worked really well with the 147 eldm and 153 atips.. i tested the 23 in my prc early on and it seemed to do well in it.. the main reason i went back to 26 in it was mainly to see if i got a bad barrel the first go around or if 600 rounds was just the life of the barrel with rl26.. i now know that answer.. 😁 lesson learned..
Grant

Reply #6
Good to know....where abouts are you with load and MV with the atips.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #7
Bob with lapua cases im using 51.2 gr. Of rl23 with a cbto of 2 476 with a 26 insert in my hornady comparator.  This is in a 26 inch pipe with a mv of 2930 with the atips.
Grant

Reply #8
Gentlemen,
Thanks for the insights/observations.  Have been on a quest for RL 26 for our PRC's.  That be done.  Will stick with the 4831sc and H1000 we have on hand.  When this thread started, I checked on average barrel life for 6.5 PRC.  Consensus was around 1300.  Just a hunter and I never let the barrel get hot so I should be good until I cross the river to rest in the shade.
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #9
Wayne as a hunting round i have no doubt it would last several years. As a target round with 30 '40 or 50 rounds at a session it hasnt lasted long for me.. the rl26 gives good speed and accuracy in it but it also produces alot of heat.. combine that with the pressure they run and they eat throats.. be a bad ass hunting round though.. and if i built one for hunting i would probably still use rl26 in it.. knowing the barrel would never get really hot like it does shooting targets..
Grant

Reply #10
Breaking in this new pipe today.. little different than i normally do. This time i shot one and cleaned twice. Then shot a 5 shot string and cleaned.. very little copper with this string..  got 18 rounds left loaded.. gonna shoot them and call it good..
Grant

Reply #11
After 18 shots it sure did clean up easy.. no copper to be seen on the patches using bore tech cu2.. think it's going to shoot good.. shots 11,12 and 13..

On a side not i put some laminate flooring down in my man cave this morning.. 😁
Grant

Reply #12
Guan: What do you think was the reason RL26 burned out the barrel?
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
Every man has got to know his limits.

Reply #13
My opinion not necessarily Grant's but I believe it burns hotter than other powders in similar burn rate range.

With these powders that deliver 100 sometimes 200 extra fps over others that were previously the fastest there's no "free lunch" I'll chase fps as much as anybody but it comes at a cost.

So you take a bigger overbore case and load it up with a hot fast powder and there will be accelerated wear and erosion over the same bullet going 200-300 fps slower.
Dave

Reply #14
After reading through this thread I have a question. I have a 6.5CM and have an 8lb jug of RL16. Will this powder produce the excessive heat in loads that you guys have experienced with your 6.5 prc loads? I guess what I am really asking is does the RL series of powders generate excessive heat in loads? TIA, Stu.
Yes, I realize speling is a chalunge for sum of us...I am inkluded in that grup, so pleze fourgiv me. Ski-U-Mah!