Skip to main content
Topic: Resurrecting the dead (Read 220 times) previous topic - next topic

Resurrecting the dead

Bringing one back from the dead.. the stick in question a browning abolt 3 6.5 creedmoor.. had this gun for several years now and pretty much gave up on it a couple years ago.. thinking the barrel was toast on it.. went from half minute gun with hand loads to a two minute gun.. tinkered around with it this spring a little trying to get it to shoot again without much luck so its set in the corner since.. being kinda bored with my other guns.. their shooting pretty well. Being bored is usually pretty dangerous for me as as it normally ends with me bulding a new stick.. lol.. but this morning I see the browning laying against the wall in the corner.. give it one more chance im thinking.. so i put it in the gun vice and pull the bolt.. soak the bore with kroil for awhile and go to town on it aggressively with a bronze brush and jb bore paste.. the black crud started coming out.. kept after it for awhile.. well till the black crap stoped coming out.. didnt even look in it with the bore scope. (Afraid too) lol. Anyway cleaned the bore all out and dried the chamber up.. and took some 120 amaxes and 143 eldx rounds to the bench and went to shooting it.. well the old rifle is shooting ok again.. 3/4 inch group at a 100 with the 143 eldx.. and easily hitting a 4 inch plate at 250.. good enough for what im wanting to do with the gun which is throw it in my mini truck to have something with a little more horsepower than a 22lr.. might see something out cruising back roads that needs killin.. 😁
Grant

Re: Resurrecting the dead

Reply #1
Grant, is that your homemade barrel cooler?

Reply #2
Yep sure is.. still going strong.. been using it for a couple years now if my memory serves me right.. runs just as long now on a charge as it did when it was new.. temps like we been having and sporter barrels its a must..
Grant

Reply #3
Grant,
Asked for and received recommended break in from Alamo Precision.  A Mueller barrel that was hand lapped.  Fire 15 -20 rounds then clean.  Their procedure is similar to yours.  Kroil and JB using the felt pellets with attention to the throat area.  Shoot 15-20 more, clean, done.  Got the pellets and rod tip from Brownells and using a Dewey rod.  Will start this weekend.  Have a 7 mag and 7-08 that used to be my faves.  They have always shot small but have never had your "treatment."  Will fix that.
Wayne
If you have the shot, take it.