Skip to main content
Topic: Playing with my 6.5x284 (Read 152 times) previous topic - next topic

Playing with my 6.5x284

Been shooting that dasher for the last few weeks and getting low on 6mm components i decided to shoot my 6.5x284 some today.. this rifle has shot well since i built it.. today was no exception.. didnt really shoot much for groups but rather just having fun shooting at steel plates at 250 yards.. was shooting a 2 inch plate with ease then shot a gopher plate in the head a few times.. its about a inch and a half target.. then i had a chain hanging there that had a nut welded on the bottom link which i shot off there the other day with my dasher.. what was left was the weld in the bottom of the link.. about a 3/4 inch target. I sent one at it and it ripped the chain off the hook it was hanging on.. i went down there and finally found the chain and had blew the weld out of the link.. lol this rifle has over a 1000 rounds down it and still hammering everything i point it at.. 😎
Grant

Re: Playing with my 6.5x284

Reply #1
Nice.....seems like everything you shoot, shoots well.....must have something to do the guy pulling the trigger and developing the loads.  Well done.

Interesting that you shot the 6.5-284 today....I just loaded 50 rounds with Berger 153.5g Hybrids for the 1000 yard practice tomorrow.  Hopefully I can do as well.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #2
Thanks bob.. the rounds i shot in it today was the 147 eldm's that has shot really well in this rifle since i developed the load.. since then i have shot alot of the 153 gr atips through it and had givin it one of them bare metal cleanings and hadnt shot the 147's in it since till today.. and i figured they would shoot well in it and they did..
I should have took a pic of that chain link before i shot it but didnt.. the bottom half of that link had weld in it from where i had welded that big nut on it and had closed the hole up in the link and nut .
Grant

Reply #3
I have always like the 147g ELD-M bullet.  It shot well in the 6.5CM.  Since I've been mainly shooting 140g Hybrids in the CM,  I have a bunch of them that I should try in the 6.5-284 and see how they do there.  Still getting 2950 fps from them?
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #4
I havnt checked the speed on them for a good while but if my memory serves me right they were running at 2980..
Grant