Skip to main content
Topic: Throat Reamer (Read 179 times) previous topic - next topic

Throat Reamer

I had a barrel that had a short Freebore and I was about to replace it.  I did some research and found a throat reamer at PT&G that could be used by hand and didn't require a lathe.  So I bought it (for 6mm) and very carefully increased the freebore.  I am planning on shooting it tomorrow to see how well it works.  But it did allow me to set the bullets out farther which is what I wanted.  The nice thing about the reamer is that is not cartridge specific but only bore specific.  So I can use it on pretty much any 6mm barrel I have.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Re: Throat Reamer

Reply #1
Thats cool bob.. when i got my evolution 6mm creedmoor it had a short freebore.. i had planned on doing the same thing as you. I called pt&g and asked about a throat reamer.. the nice lady said she would have one of the guys call me back and get the spec's that i wanted.. that wwas 4 years ago i think .. still waiting on that call.. lol. In the mean time i took it to my smith and he extended the freebore for me..
Hope she shoots good for ya..
Grant

Re: Throat Reamer

Reply #2
I took the factory 6mm CM barrel off the Savage Elite that I got last year.  Once I measured the lands, I called up James and ordered a new barrel.  I still have it....un-fired....nice looking barrel.  I may fix the throat and try it out when it is time to change the barrel.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough