News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

Got me a new rig..

Started by gman47564, July 17, 2021, 03:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman47564

The little mini is a work horse.. lol.. low gear she just putts around with ease loaded down..

My wood pile is looking better all the time.. :D
Grant

autoxforfun

Looks like you are getting set for a cold winter.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

gman47564

Working on it bob.. thats about a 1/4 of the wood i need to heat my house and mancave for the winter..
Grant

LeadHammer

I love cutting wood. I have to go at it a little slower these days though, not getting any younger. My favorite was felling trees out in the forest. ( fire killed standing pine )

gman47564

Took today and tomorrow off work to get the rest of my winter firewood cut.. put a pretty good dent in it today.. cut 7 ash trees that the ash bores had killed.. these were about 20 inches on the stump.. two of them i bucked up into firewood lengths the others i cut into 20 foot lengths and stacked them on some poles to keep them off the ground.. then split a load and took it to the barn.. wore this old man out.. lol..

I been using a stihl 029 but today i broke the big saws out.. one is a 046 and the other is a 064.. the 064 hadnt been started for 4 or 5 years.. didnt figure it would start today.. took the gas cap off to drain the old gas in it and seen that i had enough sence to do that the last time i used it.. lol.. filled it with fresh gas and she fired about the fifth pull and started the 6th.. ???? i used this saw to cut the trees down. She smoked a little while cutting the first two then cleared up and ran like a champ.. the 046 fired right up as well.. it amazes me the power these big saws have.. doesnt take long to make a bunch of firewood with them.. will go at it again tomorrow if i can move.. lol.. if not i may go look at some guns.. ???? and go at it again saturday..
Grant

bikemutt

I would always take the go look at guns option over chopping wood Grant :)

Great job!
Chris

LeadHammer

The big saw last are nice but get heavy real quick.
One of our wood processing friends, back in the day, has a big ole Pioneer saw. We used it for bucking and the thing ate wood like mad.
I don't even know the number of my smaller Stihl saw. Hmmm 260 maybe. Does ok for our firewood needs.

gman47564

The big saws are from my timber cutting days back 30 years ago.. my boss back then handed me the 064 new one day and told me if i could use it for a year felling trees without smashing it i could have it.. ???? the 046 was a friend of mines.. he dabbled in timber and asked me what saw he should buy.. i told him. A year or so later cancer got him and i bought the saw at his estate sale.. both been good saws.. but like you saw heavy and will wear a guy out so i bought the 029 about 3 years ago.. they have all been  good saws..
Grant

bikemutt

I suppose a discussion about the various types of presto logs would fall flat here :)
Chris

LeadHammer

Quote from: bikemutt on November 04, 2021, 08:14:19 PMI suppose a discussion about the various types of presto logs would fall flat here :)

lol

gman47564

Took chrises advice and went to the gun store today instead of making firewood.. ????
Me and my boy took off and went down in Kentucky to whittakers guns.. man i almost walked out of there with a max 1 predator hunter chambered in 243.. but will power prevailed today.. lol. Did get 2 boxes of 300 count ar tactical 22lr cci's.. my little rpr loves them.. and 2 bricks of br4 primers.. ????.
Stoped at a good bbq joint on the way home thats a buffet.. mercy!!. Got home and had to nap a little.. lol..
Then went for a adventure in the mini this evening.. went coyote calling for a hour or so.. didn't  see a thing.. so took off cross country to another old river road about mile away and was going down it and a dang coyote crossed the old dirt road a couple hundred yards away from me out across a open field.. drug my little 223 out and got out of the mini.. had a hard time finding him in the scope.. finally found him and took a shot about 300 yards away.. he was on the move and after the shot he kicked it in high gear.. lol.. i took another shot at him but never touched him.. then on the way out of the bottoms they was a really nice buck standing outside a little half acre thicket.. no woods or any other cover for a half mile.. i looked him over through the scope pretty good.. hes a dandy.. kinda odd to see him where he was though.. any way been a good day off here today..
Grant

autoxforfun

I have to commend your 'will power' on not buying another rifle.  It gets very hard...the best way that I avoid temptation is: I don't go looking.  Once I start looking I AM going to find something I would like....and then it gets hard to say no.

Glad you had fun today.....
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

bikemutt

Bob is exactly right: don't attend is the only sure way to avoid buying something new, or used. When I lived up north in WA, I hit this pawn shop regularly, in Bothell WA. I always made sure to bring a trade piece, just in case. I really don't think I ever left that store without a new-to-me gun  :o .

That said, some of my favorite guns came from there; an unfired S&W 27-2 5" wheel gun, an unreplaceable Sig X5 9mm, and a Belgian Browning 20 ga Superposed scatter gun, saltwood yes, but not salty wood for the Browning aficionados.

Anyway, the proprietor was a disabled gentleman, wheelchair bound with a substantial speech impediment. He and I did not need special abilities to communicate; we both spoke gun. Whenever I walked into his place of business, both our faces lit up.

I spoke with his brother a couple weeks ago and learned that he'd passed. Even though we were all business, I got pretty choked up, I wanted to talk to him, one more time at least, but it was not to be. And so it is.

Don't even know why I brought this up, Grant's gun store visit made me think of it.
Chris

gman47564

Now that the crops are mostly gone i can roam more freely in the mini truck..  :D
I discovered my little short 204 howa mini action will stand up inside the cab between the seats.. this will be used for predator control when im out and about in the mini..
Grant

DHuffman

Those seats look painful LOL
Dave