Skip to main content
Topic: Did you shoot today?  (Read 869 times) previous topic - next topic

Did you shoot today?

If so what did you shoot today?

Seen this on another forum.. thought i would start one here.. post what you shot today if you did any shooting.. and post any day you shoot if you want.. pic's are nice but not necessary..

For me i shot my savage stealth evolution today.. sent about 35 rounds down range at a 100 and 250 yards.. cant see my 300 or 430 yard targets do to the corn getting too tall.. the guns off tune just a little do to the aggressive cleaning i gave it here awhile back.. i think i need to go back to my original load.. will find out tomorrow as i loaded 10 rounds for it this evening..
Grant

Re: Did you shoot today?

Reply #1
I shot a squirt gun!  Much too hot here and it was also very windy. Hopefully I can reload tomorrow and shoot in the next few days.

Reply #2
Going shooting on Sunday after work. Supposed to be a bit cooler. Going to be shooting my 223, 338, and 6.5 creed and buddies 6.5 creed. Rough day of work today at 41°C. Thank God it was only 48°C in the shop with the big compressors and everything else running. :o

Reply #3
I went out yesterday afternoon sighted in my 223 Tikka in a oryx chassis. I put a new vortex venom scope on it.
I also had a big of fun with the 22lr Tikka T1x, shot it out to 300 yard's. 14.3 mils
My other job for the day was to develop a load for fire forming first fired 308 to 6XC. I should have taken a picture of the group's my lower load shot as it was much better than expected.
Also my standard thing to do every time I go to our range is to shoot the barricade first thing and last thing.

Reply #4
Shot my salt gun, bagged 3 flies  :))
Chris

Reply #5
Changed the load on my evolution 6 creedmoor a little today.. added .2 tenths of rl 16. Back to the original charge. I had dropped the charge several months ago by .2 tenths to keep it in tune.. withe the aggressive cleaning I gave it i needed to add that back.. the change helped.. got it back under half moa.. (top left two groups)
Wanted better so i did a seating test from .015 off to the .040 off in my first two groups in .005 increments.. looks like .025 off is where it needs to be.. thats around 1/4 moa.. with throat growth in the rifle that puts me back to almost my original load and jump.. target is at 250 yards
Grant

Reply #6
Not sure why the bottom looks wierd on that target
Grant

Reply #7
Changed the load on my evolution 6 creedmoor a little today.. added .2 tenths of rl 16. Back to the original charge. I had dropped the charge several months ago by .2 tenths to keep it in tune.. withe the aggressive cleaning I gave it i needed to add that back.. the change helped.. got it back under half moa.. (top left two groups)
Wanted better so i did a seating test from .015 off to the .040 off in my first two groups in .005 increments.. looks like .025 off is where it needs to be.. thats around 1/4 moa.. with throat growth in the rifle that puts me back to almost my original load and jump.. target is at 250 yards

I shot my 6.5 CM yesterday at 200 yards to confirm the load for a 600 practice session on Monday.  Grant, you hit on something that I was noodling on.  I had cleaned the 6.5 well (followed your process since it had about 1500 rounds thru it).  So I took my trusted load and shot it with the labradar in place.  I lost a good 30 fps and was out of the sweet spot.  I shot 50 rounds and by the end, it had picked up about 15-20 fps and was just starting to shoot well.  So now what to do.  I could keep the barrel clean and increase the load to compensate since 50 rounds in a match is very doable or I could let the barrel foul enough to get back to the prior load.  Seems like starting from a clean barrel each time would be the better and more controlled way to proceed.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #8
Bob my 6 creed lost about the same as your 6.5 did.. 30 fps or so.. i have about 60 rounds loaded with the lesser charge weight.. im going to load a 100 rounds (it may take 150) with the original charge.. the one i shot today.. im thinking by the time i shoot the 100 rounds up then the lesser charged rounds should be good to go again.. once them are shot up i will give it another bare metal cleaning and just shoot the original load and maintain the cleaner barrel and compensate for lands growth as it moves forward..
Grant

Reply #9
I wonder then, barrel break in speed increase, is actually not barrel break in, well same effect but different cause.

Reply #10
I wonder then, barrel break in speed increase, is actually not barrel break in, well same effect but different cause.

Well somewhat maybe.. break in is more about smoothing up the edges and filling the little imperfections in the bore.. along with heat cycling it to some extent.. the results of that is increased speed.. when doing this deep clean it takes you back to the speeds you were getting after break in and the speed it gained during break in.. with 100's of rounds down the barrel that hard carbon keeps building up and restricting the bore a little more to the point you have gained another 30 or 40 fps.. which has more than likely took you out of your node.. to fix this you can drop the charge weight a little or clean that stuff out thats causing the increase in speed.. or keep a really close eye on your barrel and speed and maintain the cleanliness it needs to maintain its speed. Easier said than done.. lol.. this is all just my observation and opinion.. take it for what its worth..
Grant

Reply #11
Bob my 6 creed lost about the same as your 6.5 did.. 30 fps or so.. i have about 60 rounds loaded with the lesser charge weight.. im going to load a 100 rounds (it may take 150) with the original charge.. the one i shot today.. im thinking by the time i shoot the 100 rounds up then the lesser charged rounds should be good to go again.. once them are shot up i will give it another bare metal cleaning and just shoot the original load and maintain the cleaner barrel and compensate for lands growth as it moves forward..

I agree.  I have some loaded at my old charge.  Once they are gone, I'll do another cleaning and then increase the charge .2/.3g and then work to keep the barrel clean.  This should provide a consistent starting point for each time out.  I'm going to try this process with the 6.5CM and see how it holds up in the matches.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #12
I have never had a quality aftermarket barrel, how rough are they inside, figured they would be burr free. Are they not lapped?

Reply #13
Their not rough at all. Their lapped as well but theirs still sharp endges that your first few rounds wear off..
Grant

Reply #14
Shooting the dasher so far today.. may shoot the 6.5 prc after while.. some 3 shot groups with the dasher at a 100 yards.  :D
This stick impresses me !
Grant