Skip to main content
Topic: 2021 1000 Yd BR Nationals (Read 1634 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2021 1000 Yd BR Nationals

Reply #90
I been using Peterson brass.....I may have some Lapua that I could try....need to go look.  Do you know why the Hornady behaved different than the Lapua?
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #91
I never could figure out why the hornady stuck in my shilen chamber.. couldn't find it anywhere in measurements.. i chalked it up to a metallurgy promblem .. however since then i screwed the factory savage barrel on a action for a hunting rifle and the hornady brass worked fine in that chamber
Grant

Reply #92
I spent some time looking at why the 6.5-284 brass wouldn't chamber well.  I think this is turning out to be cockpit error on my part.  I took some new brass and they chamber easily.  I then measured the shoulder length and it was significantly less than the brass that wouldn't chamber.  So I bumped the neck a couple thou on the fired brass and they chambered smoothly.   I think that when I switched barrels, I was using fired brass from the old chamber.  I thought I had bumped the shoulder enough but apparently not.  So after using a full length body die and setting the shoulders back, everything is looking much better.  The final test will be after I load and shoot them to see how they release.
Bob

Reply #93
I have heard but dont know if theirs truth to it or not that brass shot in one chamber will retain a memory so to speak and when fired in another chamber it will go back to the size it was when fired in the original chamber.. not sure i buy that as i have used brass in multiple chambers before with no problems.  Just something i have read on the internet so you know it must be true.. 😏
Grant

Reply #94
I have heard but dont know if theirs truth to it or not that brass shot in one chamber will retain a memory so to speak and when fired in another chamber it will go back to the size it was when fired in the original chamber.. not sure i buy that as i have used brass in multiple chambers before with no problems.  Just something i have read on the internet so you know it must be true.. 😏

I had heard this as well but have not seen it my somewhat limited experience.  I guess the test will be what the brass does after it is fired.  It it continues to mis-behave, then there may be some truth to it.  If it is true then it seems that replacing barrels would be a real problem since all the brass would need to be replaced....hard to believe that this would be the case.
Bob

Reply #95
Alot of guys say new barrel new brass.. i cant afford that.. lol.. the only problem i have run into with using brass in multiple chambers is premature case head seperation if the 2 chambers had a big headspace difference in them.. no problems with chambers within a thousandth or 2 of the same headspace.. it can show up with 6 or more thousandths difference..
Grant

Reply #96
The better gunsmiths can headspace a new chamber to match that of your old barrel within a thousandths +/- .

Reply #97
Consistent brass is such a core objective that even if your new chamber is a close clone of the old one, I still thinking it is prudent to start new brass with a new barrel. With 7-8 cycles on it, the brass is one of the least expensive parts of your reloaded cartridges at approximately 12-14 cents per cycle.

Reply #98
The better gunsmiths can headspace a new chamber to match that of your old barrel within a thousandths +/- .

Think I have 8 BRA barrels that share the same brass, chambered off the same reamer by the same gunsmith. This coming weekend i plan on taking my actions out to him to chamber up another 6 barrels for next season. With the actions in hand I've never had a chamber headspaced with any measureable difference.
I can swap a barrel in 15 minutes, 30 if I really get carried away cleaning things up and torque to 60 ft/lbs and get repeatable head space every time. I routinely shoot rounds in one barrel loaded for another with only the seating depth being off from varying throat erosion.
 l bet I have over 1000 pieces of brass that shoot in any of these barrels and will shoot in the new ones too.
Dave

Reply #99
^ yes we use the same gunsmith. 😉

Reply #100
I went from a Shilen barrel to a Krieger barrel.....I'm sure they used different reamers.  The good news is I still have some un-fired Lapua and Peterson brass that I can fall back on if I need to.
Bob

Reply #101
Decided to start cleaning.....here are the 350 rounds I shot last week....annealed and SS tumbled.
Bob

Reply #102
They sure are pretty.. alot of work ahead of ya there bob.. but its enjoyable work..
Grant