Skip to main content
Topic: Control round feed 6.5mm Creedmoor: Who uses it? (Read 538 times) previous topic - next topic

Control round feed 6.5mm Creedmoor: Who uses it?

A brilliant gunsmith put together a FN-made, 1924 Mexican Mauser (7x57mm), a Boyd’s laminate stock, a Bold trigger with an ER Shaw barrel into a very accurate hunting rifle for me in 6.5mm Creedmoor. It’s also proven to be a 1,000 yard gong pinker with the same Redfield scope I use for hunting.
Aside from a box of factory 120 grain Hornady bullets, everything shot from it has been my handloads. The rifle likes about every bullet weight I've tried but not fast burning powders. H-4350 and RL-16 are the best of the medium speed powders and cover 129-143 grain bullets.
Who else uses a CRF Creedmoor?
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
Every man has got to know his limits.

Re: Control round feed 6.5mm Creedmoor: Who uses it?

Reply #1
I think the only crf guns i have is a m77 mark2 220 swift and a old bnp 22-250..
Grant

Reply #2
The Deviant Elite action I use on my chassis 6 BRA is control feed. I’ve been very pleased with how well it rapidly cycles cartridges out of the magazine without a hiccup.

Reply #3
My 300 NM Mausingfield is also control feed - runs like a deer.

Reply #4
My 300 NM Mausingfield is also control feed - runs like a deer.

Every time I see the Nucleus / Xylo rifle that ARC makes, the engineer in me just wants one.

Reply #5
My Bighorn TL3 is a CRF action. Use it with my 6.5 Creedmoor now and also a .223.

Reply #6
I have a few controlled round fed rifles. None of them chambered in a creedmoor though. Have a couple CZ micro actions. Absolutely love them. Have a newer m98 Mauser action. A Ruger m77 Hawkeye and two different carcanos which are also controlled fed.

I wouldn't think twice about buying a 6.5 creedmoor chambered in a control fed rifle. Especially in a hunting rifle. Both push feed and control feed have their own pros and cons.

Reply #7
My first 6.5 CM.  Ruger 77 Hawkeye Predator.  Shoot it wrong handed but that is not a handicap.  Have acquired several left hand Creedmoors since I bought the Ruger in the early days.  Won't ever let it go.  With 140 Berger Elite Hunters has killed every critter I have pointed it at out to 300+.
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #8
Factory Bergara's and I think Winchester model 70's.

Reply #9
I learned something new today.  I was not savvy with the concept of a control round feed.  So I went and did a little research.  Interesting set of trade-offs.  What is a bit funny is that I have a Bighorn TL3 and didn't notice this difference.  Maybe because it is a single shot version....but I'm going to go check it out.

Anyway, love this forum....never know what you may learn. 
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #10
The biggest is single loading but the TL3 can single load.

Reply #11
I went and pulled a bolt from my Savage and one from the BigHorn.  I was interested to see the difference.  I guess since I don't feed either from a magazine, I didn't fully understand the difference between the head bolts of each.  But now that I know more about CRF, it all makes sense. 

BigHorn on the left and Savage on the right
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #12
My 1st custom action(s) are CRF. Big Horn TL3 and Origin.  Also Nucleus. I like the feel when feeding a cartridge to the chamber.

A little magazine feed lips tuning and it runs real smooth.

Cool thing about CRF is, it'll do push feed too.

Reply #13
Is it easy to disassemble the bolt for headspace measuring with CRF?

Reply #14
Is it easy to disassemble the bolt for headspace measuring with CRF?

No need to disassemble the bolt...at least with the Nucleus and Big Horns.  Just slide the go/no-go gauges under the extractor.

As far as I know CRF has mechanical ejectors that's attached on the receiver...just like a semi-auto hand gun.

Feeding, extracting and ejecting is just like how a semi-auto pistol works.

That said, the Big Horn action bolt assembly are some of the easiest to strip...toolless. Turn the bolt shroud clockwise and the whole firing pin assembly pops out. Remove cross pin and pull bolt head out.

at 3m40s
https://youtu.be/ZSM3CYOcGgI