Skip to main content
Topic: 6 mm dasher (Read 3048 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 6 mm dasher

Reply #240
I got back on these vt-tacs this morning.. i had tested them with a jam. I also wanted to test them with a jump.. so i did another velocity ladder with a. 020 jump.. the nodes appear to be in the same charge weight areas but with less speed of about 30 fps.. so the rounds that were giving me 3070 fps with a jam are showing 3040 fps with a jump.. i got this node down to a 1/2 inch group at 250 yards.. but couldnt get it any smaller and slight changes to seating opened it up a little.. tested it quiet a bet with seating and powder changes.. the first pic is of this node.. my second pic is of a node thats in the 2940 area.. it seems to be more stable with slight changes to seating so its the one im going to run these vt-tacs in.. pretty happy with how their doing with the rl15.5 powder..
Grant

Reply #241
Looks good Grant. 👍

Reply #242
Thanks jerry.. im pretty happy with how its shooting.. im also pretty happy with how that powder is burning.. i cleaned my barrel last weekend after shooting about 50 rounds of it and got very little carbon out of the barrel.. like hardly any.. i also washed them cases in my ss tumbler and when i dumped the water out it was really clean.. i know 50 cases is a small sample but usually the water is still dirty looking.. not with these.. time will tell more about it though.. i will clean my barrel again after a 100 rounds or so this time and see what it looks like..
Grant

Reply #243
These Dashers are pretty amazing....good shooting !!
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #244
I'd test seating down a thou or two off the lands. Match bullets seem to like a really small jump or jam then it seems like if you're jumping you have to come off quite a ways.

This Lilja 4 groove seems to favor the position in the throat vs a measurement in relation to the lands.

There was a point where it crossed from .005" jammed to .001" off where the B to O stayed at 2.792" and the accuracy stayed very good. It lost around .008-.010" of throat at that 3 match weekend in August and it may have lost accuracy in the transition from in to out but the conditions were so bad I could have missed it.

That 1.4" group today was seated at 2.791" and I'm guessing that may be up to .005" off by now.

I'm starting to think instead of searching for the wide seating window find the best seating position and shoot it until it opens up with little regard to the distance to the lands.

Dave

Reply #245
I'd test seating down a thou or two off the lands. Match bullets seem to like a really small jump or jam then it seems like if you're jumping you have to come off quite a ways.

I tested from .005 in to .005 off in .002 increments already.. this is the best group of them jumps and its .005 in.. this is one reason i did another velocity ladder  with a .020 jump.. i wasnt finding what i wanted close to or in the lands..
Grant

Reply #246
After doing the velocity ladder with a .020 jump i then tested seating from .010 off to .030 off.. the groups i posted earlier are at .024 off.. i did quiet a bit of testing with these this morning.. lol..
Grant

Reply #247
Well maybe you're there. It's shooting small enough and the group is shaped nice.

If I wanted to try to get it smaller, with that seating depth I'd  have a look between 2940 and 3000 fps there could be nodes on either end and/or one in the middle 2970

It's your gun and I'm not trying to butt in but if you've got a 26" barrel that 3040 node might be a little hard on the barrel IMO

My Lilja 4 groove is 28" and has seen 3000 fps twice on ladder testing without pressure under high heat conditions. There are guys running the 3000 node with the 6 BRA. I've ran my barrel in the 2920 - 2970 range for 1400+ rounds now and won enough to earn15 SOY points this season. It gets cleaned every 45 rounds or so and has never had a carbon ring and is fairly easy to clean.
I've quit a fair amount of barrels at 1000 - 1200 because the season was over and I didn't want to start a season with that many rounds. This one is still going strong at 1400+

A while ago you started reviving barrels with a deep clean process to get more life out of them. I've had better luck running at a slower but as or more accurate speed and a shorter cleaning interval.

So I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong but offering an alternative.

Dave

Reply #248
Thats where this group is at dave. The 2940 node. And thats where i plan on running it at.. its a little more accurate than the 3040 node and more forgiving with slight seating changes..
Grant

Reply #249
I think you'll be better off there.
Dave

Reply #250
By the way Grant - good job working up this new powder on this cartridge. Based on what I’m seeing you’ve shown it’s promise as an alternative to the other commonly used ones. 👍

Reply #251
From what im seeing jerry its a very good alternative  to the other powders used in this setting.. once it gets out and is tested by some of the heavy hitters it wont suprise me if it becomes more popular than alot of the powders being used..
Grant

Reply #252
Just my thoughts. It may turn out to be better than Varget, but in the Dasher cartridge, it’s going to be tough to beat N0140, H4895, or H4350. Time will tell.