Skip to main content
Topic: Full circle  (Read 270 times) previous topic - next topic

Full circle

Some may remember a couple years ago i bought a savage 111 in 6.5x284.. i struggled with that rifle to the point i tore it all down and ditched everything but the action and used it to build a 6.5x284 with a shilen barrel and mpa chassis.. the factory barrel on that rifle didnt have the rifling cut all the way out the end of the barrel.. which took me a good while to figure out.. any way i put the barrel and the accustock in the corner and forgot about them.. well a couple months ago i picked up a old flat top long action 30-06.. cheap.. bought it mainly for the action.. as im not a big fan of the ought 6 and its recoil.. so its just been kinda sitting around here.. so i decided to take the factory 6.5x284 barrel that was 26 inches and chopped it down to 22 inches to get rid of the rifling problem in the end of it.. squared the end up the best i could and took a coned dremel stone and hand turned a bit of a crown in it and screwed it into the old flat top.. but it all in the original accu stock and put a 4x16 hawke scope on it and loaded some 120 gr. Eldms with imr 4451 powder in hornady cases that wouldn't eject from my shilen barrel and shot it.. the cases ejected without issue.. for a middle of the road charge i throwed together for that bullet it shot 3/4 inch groups.. was expecting shot gun groups.. lol.. another hunting rig in the stable now.. the ole 6.5x284 has come full circle..  :D
Grant

Re: Full circle

Reply #1
Did you use the accustock recoil lug or modify the stock?
Dave

Reply #2
I used the accu stock recoil lug.. the original lug for the stock and barrel
Grant

Reply #3
Waste not, want not.  Nicely done.  Enjoy.