News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

New to the forum and the 6.5

Started by Russjones92, November 05, 2020, 11:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russjones92

Hi all I am new to the forum and recently purchased a Weatherby Vanguard in 6.5CM and man am I loving it. It is my first hunting rifle and so far I can't see myself buying another.

mnbogboy

Welcome Russ,
Nice looking rifle.
Youve came to the right place there is lots to learn from the guys on this forum.
Randy
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

jvw2008

Howdy Russ - welcome!

Looks like you made a good choice. Hope it will shoot for you just as good as it looks.

Will you reload for it or go with commercial ammo?

DHuffman

Dave

gman47564

Welcome to the forum russ.. hows the rifle shooting for ya.. good looking stick..
Grant

autoxforfun

Welcome Russ.  Very nice Creedmoor !   I think you will find some good folks here....just be careful, it can become addicting ;)
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Russjones92

Thanks guys for the warm welcome and so far it shoots like a dream. The action is smooth as fresh silk and the trigger and stock fit like a glove. As for the reloading or commercial question I have never done reloading before so I will probably stick with the commercial ammo. Once again thanks guys so much.

The Marshall

Welcome aboard. Are you loading your own ammo or going with factory stuff?
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
Every man has got to know his limits.

bob_atl

Welcome Russ, a lot of us hunt, and we all like pictures of a 6.5 cm at work..
... rule #9 ...

Russjones92

Oh believe me when I get a chance to put it to work outside the range I will definitely put up pics
Quote from: bob_atl on November 08, 2020, 08:01:08 AMWelcome Russ, a lot of us hunt, and we all like pictures of a 6.5 cm at work..

sportacus

Welcome,
Nice rifle.  I had an earlier version when 6.5 CM first hit the scene.  Sold it last year to a young church member.  He and his wife killed several deer with it last season.  It loves the 140 Ballistic tips loaded by Nosler.
If you have the shot, take it.

Russjones92

Quote from: sportacus on November 09, 2020, 07:27:16 AMWelcome,
Nice rifle.  I had an earlier version when 6.5 CM first hit the scene.  Sold it last year to a young church member.  He and his wife killed several deer with it last season.  It loves the 140 Ballistic tips loaded by Nosler.
Appreciate the tip (no pun intended) so far I've acquired a feel different brands to try out varrying in gr from 120 to 153 but will definitely try and hunt down some of the Nosler you mention

diddlyv

Welcome Russ
I too purchased a Weatherby Vanguard 6.5 Creedmore.  It shot sub MOA right out of the box at 100 and 200 with Hornady Precision Hunter.  Having maybe 2 boxes of that ammo left, have not felt the need to work up a load.  My intention is to try and duplicate factory velocities with the 143 gr ELD-X bullet with same Base to Ogive measurement of the factory round as a starting point.  Love my Vanguard.  Much like a mossberg rifle the only thing wrong with it is it did not cost enough to have any serious snob appeal.

boltman13

Very nice looking rifle.  It should give you a lifetime of good service and memories.

missippyman

Welcome Russ, I haven't been here as long as most of these guys. I can tell you that you came to the right place for anything Creedmoor, these folks know their stuff.