Skip to main content
Topic: Barrel Threading (Read 424 times) previous topic - next topic

Barrel Threading

Does anyone have any information on threading a barrel as far as the Feds are concerned.  I have a Remington 700 that does not have a threaded barrel.  I took it to my local gunsmith and his reaction was that the ATF would not allow you to thread a barrel unless that same gun came with a factory threaded barrel in another model.  I am just trying to check out his reasoning to see if maybe he is wrong.  Thanks

Re: Barrel Threading

Reply #1
I personally have never heard of that...
Grant

Reply #2
I live in CA, the most anti-gun state there is and there is no issue with threading a rifle barrel.  Now, there are regulations as to what you can spin onto the barrel but you can thread it.  It may be worth checking your state's regulations....but I don't believe there are any national regulations.  Pistols in CA can't be threaded....but that is just for pistols.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #3
killian think I would be looking for a different smith!

Reply #4
Your local smith either doesn't want your business or he is a moron. Either way find another smith. Any can do the job.

Reply #5
Oh my God!!! Rob and I agreed on something -write it on the calendar !

Reply #6
There are no laws concerning threading the end of a barrel.
Think about it.  Companies like Ruger and others do it.
They wouldn't do it and sell them across the country if it was illegal.
That's a bad sign, time to find another smith.

Here's a model 700 from the factory with a thread muzzle.
https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-stainless-5-r-threaded-barrel

Reply #7
I'm to the point anymore I won't even waste my time educating some dolt.
Just move on to the next one.
Dave

Reply #8
Sounds like the smith had some issues with the procedure or the time it would take him. He was trying to get out of work, not having to remove the barrel or indexing in a lathe. He wasn't sure of his own capability, not a good quality when choosing a gunsmith.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #9
There are some of the state "assault rifle" laws that include the presence of a threaded barrel as one of the things that designates an assault rifle.  This is not the ATF but the individual states.