Free floating the tang on a Savage

Started by dloforo, June 28, 2019, 01:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHuffman

Quote from: Ranger 188 on July 02, 2019, 08:02:45 PMI've posted this article before, but for you Savage guy's a good read.
https://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/savage-action-screw-torque-tuning/

I beat you to it up in reply #3 so I think we got it covered. ????
Dave

Ranger 188

Sorry Dave, not a Savage guy, didn't look that far up to notice your post.

boltman13

My glass bedded and pillar bedded Savage action is not sensitive to torque settings on the action screws.  I white knuckle tighten the front and back and snug the middle one.  With a good load I get 0.5 MOA when I do my part.  I have no experience with a factory stock and would never expect to get this level of accuracy from one.  Mine is a 223 with a Boyds stock and Xcalaber barrel.  I plan to rebarrel to 6BR Norma with a Criterion and new bolt head and hope to get at least the same level of accuracy.

DHuffman

Quote from: Ranger 188 on July 02, 2019, 11:47:03 PMSorry Dave, not a Savage guy, didn't look that far up to notice your post.

No worries and no apology necessary!
Dave

DHuffman

My 4.40" three screw target action in the factory F Class stock was bedded and it was improved by tuning the torque on the screws. I would think any Savage benefit from it. If you have a torque screwdriver it's probably the cheapest, easiest fastest thing you can do to greatly improve accuracy.

This is another one of those tricks that the farther out (yardage) you test the easier it is to recognize the improvement.
Dave

autoxforfun

I agree Dave.  I believe I have the same stock on one of my CM's.  I bedded it as well and find that I can definitely tune the groups via the rear screw.  I use a torque screw driver to increment the settings and have consistently found on that rifle, that 12-15 inch-lbs works the best.  But can I come back to the question on floating the tang.  Did you do that when you bedded your stock?  I believe that mine in fully encased in bedding material and is  held captive.  I have no complaints on how it shoots.  If you did float it, can you describe what you did?
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

DHuffman

Quote from: autoxforfun on July 04, 2019, 09:27:39 PMI agree Dave.  I believe I have the same stock on one of my CM's.  I bedded it as well and find that I can definitely tune the groups via the rear screw.  I use a torque screw driver to increment the settings and have consistently found on that rifle, that 12-15 inch-lbs works the best.  But can I come back to the question on floating the tang.  Did you do that when you bedded your stock?  I believe that mine in fully encased in bedding material and is  held captive.  I have no complaints on how it shoots.  If you did float it, can you describe what you did?

Mine was bedded when I bought it used and without looking I'd say it is relieved in the tang area.
Dave

autoxforfun

Thanks Dave for the reply.  Here is what I did (good or bad) when I bedded the Savage Target Action.  As you can see, the well fits the tang with little play.  There was not bedding rear of the last action screw.  I have no reason to complain....the guns shoots well and is still tunable with rear screw.
Bob

DHuffman

Quote from: autoxforfun on July 16, 2019, 06:37:26 PMThanks Dave for the reply.  Here is what I did (good or bad) when I bedded the Savage Target Action.  As you can see, the well fits the tang with little play.  There was not bedding rear of the last action screw.  I have no reason to complain....the guns shoots well and is still tunable with rear screw.

The tang is the area in the top of your picture out of view and appears not bedded. The tang is the rear of the action where it comes to a point where the safety to the rear of the trigger well.

I think your bedding job looks good and is how I would do it.
Dave

autoxforfun

Thanks Dave.   The light went on.....what I was calling the 'tang' and what you were calling the 'tang' were different.  I had make the connection to the lug versus the tang....which was wrong.  Now I get it and I think I'm squared away.
Bob

DHuffman

Quote from: autoxforfun on July 16, 2019, 08:07:56 PMThanks Dave.   The light went on.....what I was calling the 'tang' and what you were calling the 'tang' were different.  I had make the connection to the lug versus the tang....which was wrong.  Now I get it and I think I'm squared away.

I figured we were having a communication breakdown.

Dave

DHuffman

Right or wrong I don't bed forward of the lug. I like just enough behind the lug to ooze part way up the front of the lug without contacting the nut.

Not saying your way is wrong just how I do it. If you're getting good accuracy that's what counts!
Dave