News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

Pieces of My New Toy Coming Together

Started by sportacus, January 04, 2022, 03:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sportacus

Was not quite sure where to put this, but it is a hunting stick so it landed here.  Received the CVA Paramount HTR .40 cal on backorder for three months.  225 grain ELR by Powerbelt behind 105 grains by weight of Blackhorn 209 equals 2740 MV.  Zeroed 2 inches high, dead on at 200 and 8 inch drop at 300.  Have watched all the videos and read all the reviews.  Love my old Knight Mountaineer .50 but won't take a poke with it past 150.  Shoots tight but if I have to weave one through a 6" hole in the brush, I pass.
20 MOA rail from Talley, check, .40 cal brake from Anarchy, check.   Adequate supply of 225 ELR's, Fed 210M's, Vari-flame adapters and Blackhorn 209, check. Ordered the glass today.  Vortex Razor HTR 3-15x42.  Leupold chapped my a** a couple of weeks ago by closing the custom shop due to state "covid" restrictions.  Not buying it.  Not the first time custom shop has failed me.  I will leave it at that. Has been a fire sale of Leupold products here at the homeplace.  My friends/buyers are loving it. Never liked their mushy-a**ed dials anyway. So there. Seriously.  Second week of November 2022 when those bucks are cruising the pasture edges on my place in TN looking for Miss Lovely, they are in extreme peril.   :))
If you have the shot, take it.

sportacus

Will give credit where it is due. Caught it on sale at Midway and Uncle Larry beat everybody else by $100-$200.  No shipping.  Throw me a day old bisquit and I will hang around the porch.

jvw2008

gman47564

Throw me a day old bisquit and I will hang around the porch.

Now thats a pretty good one wayne.. hadn't heard that one i reckon.. thanks for the chuckle... ????
Grant

sportacus

One of you "patient" fellows will have to give me personal instruction.  I am a retired AH-64 Apache gunship pilot. Led men in combat in two conflicts.  In my prime, was a trigger pulling, range finding, firearms selecting, button pushing, switch shifting, circuit breaking, star-spangled MF'er.  Age has taken it's toll.  Now, when technology challenges me, I retreat.  Not interested.

sportacus

Grant,
We deep South folk can roll them out for days.  My favorite story from Jerry Clower, the famous MS humorist is "Louisiana Cur Dog."  Gist is a fight between his brother Sonny and a LA cur dog over a tea cake his mother had baked.  For my generation, when you mention cur dog and tea cake in the same sentence, we are already smiling.  Wonderful memories because we lived it.
Wayne

sportacus

BTW,
My brother and I take ice bags of frozen grind meat to Vines Bros. in Centreville, MS every year after season is over.  Their smoked sausage will make you cry.  Amite County.  Jerry Clower was born and raised in Amite County.  Play Clower CD's all the way over and back.  Even though we have heard dozens of times, dehydrated from laughter when we get home.

gman47564

Wayne i met and talked to jerry clower way down in south eastern Kentucky at a logging show when i was a young man.. i seen him walking across a field they was having the show in.. he was probably 100 yards away from me.. i couldnt help myself.. i let out the best jerry clower squall i could mustar and he stopped in his tracks.. lol.. looked my way and here he came.. me and my little brother just stood there.. he walked up to us and shook are hands.. talked for a few minutes.. give us both a box of levi garret chewing tobacco  and went on his way.. we thought that was cool as heck.. lol..
Grant