News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

Newbie on AR10s in 6.5 CM

Started by rsbhunter, July 31, 2019, 09:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsbhunter

I know you guy's probably  get tired of the same questions, but couldn't find the answers in a search.....built a new Aero Precision M5 in 6.5 creed. Barrel break in yesterday....Craddock Precision 22" Bartlien +2" fluted barrel, JP LMOS bolt with hp bolt head, JP SCS standard buffer, SLR adjustable gas block....shot good for break in, but I am wondering if I need to either change buffer weights to tungsten or increase spring pressure. Shells eject to approx. the 3:30-4:00 o'clock position, about 6'-8' away...is this ok? Have gas set to just lock back bolt, recoil is minimum, surprisingly light for 6.5. Anyway, any suggestions, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated....rsbhunter
From a place you will never see, comes a sound you will never hear....

Snaploader

Case ejection at 3 to 4 o'clock is fine.  As long as you are not damaging brass during the ejection cycle, I wouldn't change a thing!  If you start loading "hotter" rounds you might consider adding more weight to the buffer. In all of my AR10 style guns, I run buffers around 5.3 oz and standard weight bcg.

Good luck with your new stick.
Mike

rsbhunter

Snaploader, thank you for the reply. Some of the brass,a few, had minor dings, but nothing bad. I will definitely watch as I build loads and add tungsten weights to the buffer if needed. Using Hornady brass, as I figure I'll lose a lot of it in the field, so I won't worry about small dings and such.....Again, thank you.....rsbhunter

bfoosh006

Putting some of the fuzzy side of Velcro tape , on your shell deflector, will help with those dings.

And if it is function fine... allow more break-in prior to fine tuning.

Also... consider using these felt pellets for your bore cleaning chores... they do a FAR better job then any thing else I have used.
And you can adjust the snugness in the bore, simply by threading them on tighter.

https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/patches-mops/cleaning-pellets/firearms-care-system-pellets-prod13839.aspx

Both the pics, were fired right after cleaning with those pellets ( benched, scoped , bagged... etc )
First... 6.5CM Horn. AG 140gr at 100yds 22" Criterion SS Barrel, 10rds
Second .308 FN Barreled , Horn. AG 155gr also 10rds, 100yds

And guess who flubbed the fliers.... yup, me.

rsbhunter

Well, took it out again, some reloads ,  130gr , Bergers, 140gr Bergers, and some 140gr Hornady ELD-M. Had also bought some Hornady 147gr Match. Was really not impressed with the reloads.....did ok, but nothing earth shattering....BUT when I shot the 147's, though only 3 shots, an honest 1 hole group. Guess the 1-7.5 twist likes the heavier bullets...anyway, my next job is to reshoot with the factory ammo, and if it's a repeat, find a load that matches it. Have ordered more Honady Match and some 147gr Hornady bullets for load workup...Rifle functions great, I appreciate all the input from all of you...Will post after next range session....rsbhunter