News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Not bad fer a huntin stick

Started by gman47564, June 02, 2019, 05:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman47564

Drug out my savage 10 predator max1 6.5 creedmoor this evening along with a box of 20 eldms 140's that I loaded probably a year and a half ago.. 2 at a hundred showed it was still dead on.. so sent a few out to 250 yards and she was doin good so went to 430 yards and shot two 3 shot groups that were 2 inches or a little better and my last round at a 2 inch plate.. not bad fer a huntin stick.. the 3rd pic is a 6 inch plate. :)
Grant

DHuffman

Looking good Grant!

I'm getting a Lilia barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor put on a Remington 700 with a Stocky's stock. I'm going to try and leave my 6.5-284 at home and hunt with it this fall. Maybe work up a 130g load with some Noslers or Bergers and run it 2900 fps. Should do the job on anything I'll have a tag for.

Already been rejected for Bighorn sheep and elk. I put in for the two whitetail tag, that's usually a guaranteed tag if it's your first choice. Most people put in for the "any" deer tag so they can shoot a muley or a whitetail.  It's about a once every two or three year tag in our unit.

Hopefully I'll draw an antelope tag as well but that's fairly iffy also.
Dave

gman47564

I have some 130 gr. Berger hunting vlds I may try in this stick. I got a good load with a 143 gr eldx for it but haven't tried any 130's in it. Good luck on your tag draw dave.. all we have here is whitetail and anyone can hunt them. Just buy a tag and go.
Grant

DHuffman

I'm leaning more towards Noslers, I filled a buck full of 140 Bergers once all vital hits and he just kept walking. No bang flop but he finally laid down and died.

If Hornady would make a 130 ELDX I'd try them if not the 129 SSTs  are pretty effictive.
Dave

CaptGrumpy

Quote from: HufD63 on June 02, 2019, 08:59:53 PMI'm leaning more towards Noslers, I filled a buck full of 140 Bergers once all vital hits and he just kept walking. No bang flop but he finally laid down and died.

If Hornady would make a 13p ELDX I'd try them if not the 129 SSTs  are pretty effictive.

The Hornady 120g GMX does just fine on the deer. This was shot with my Bergara timber in 6.5 cm.

Chris
Yup! That is a 6.5 in my saddle scabbard

hotshotr2

140 Grain Nosler Accubonds shoot great in my rifle and they mushroom well on elk..
Marvin

Litehiker

Grumpy, you are my hero. Maybe I don't really need that6.5 PRC after all (but I'm gettin' it anyway).
"I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times."

Orezona

Quote from: gman47564 on June 02, 2019, 05:50:02 PMDrug out my savage 10 predator max1 6.5 creedmoor this evening along with a box of 20 eldms 140's that I loaded probably a year and a half ago.. 2 at a hundred showed it was still dead on.. so sent a few out to 250 yards and she was doin good so went to 430 yards and shot two 3 shot groups that were 2 inches or a little better and my last round at a 2 inch plate.. not bad fer a huntin stick.. the 3rd pic is a 6 inch plate. :)

That's my Indiana whitetail rifle.  140 Nosler AB's and a Zeiss HD.

gman47564

what part of Indiana do you hunt whitetails in orezona ?
Grant

Orezona

Quote from: gman47564 on June 24, 2019, 07:25:28 PMwhat part of Indiana do you hunt whitetails in orezona ?

West of Madison.  Jefferson County.

6.5 CRDMR

Grant, what does your savage model 10 weigh ?
I just picked up a new to me (100 rnds shot by previous owner) Howa HCR in 6.5 cm as well. I ask sir,`cause my model 12 cm has a heavy BVSS lam stock . Now I can get a  hogue full bed block stock, and become my hunting rig. Thanks. Any thoughts ?

gman47564

the bare gun weighs 9 pound.. the accu stock on the predator is a pretty solid stock...heavy varmint contour barrel on it makes it a little heavy but its a solid gun...
Grant

6.5 CRDMR

Thanks, seems those 10`s and 12`s seem to be shooters in my experience .

ported45

The ONLY thing that I do not like about my Savages (I have a few in different calibers) is the bolt lift angle.  Wish it was a shorter lift like my Ruger American.