Skip to main content
Topic: Advise for Ground Hog shoot (Read 1055 times) previous topic - next topic

Advise for Ground Hog shoot

I'm interested into shooting at a local ground hog shoot. The distances are 200,300, and 500 meters. I've never shot at one of these or competively so can anyone give me advise as to what expect. I'll be shooting off a bipod and back rest. I did modify my bipod to lockup solid when I have a good level but other than equipment I dont know what to expect.

Re: Advise for Ground Hog shoot

Reply #1
The experience was humbling to say the least. It was located in Shippensburg, and to make a long story short I should have brought a spotter for the 500 meters. I was shooting off of a bipod while everybody else was using good Sinclair like front rests. My spotting scope would not fit on the bench so the tripod I brought for the ground was too wobbly for the wind that was there. The 200 & 300 meters I could see holes with the gun scope. Well heres the 2 targets that have holes in them. 500meters since I was shooting second relay the large steel swinger plate was all banged up etc. hence I WAGged it.

Reply #2
Can't figure out what you have to fix whether it be gear or training until you stick it out there and hope it doesn't get cut off ;) Bet you will do better next time.

Reply #3
Thanks, I have another shoot this Saturday. It's the last for the season. I'll try and get the wind dope this time for 500m. It's tough without a spotter.