News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Alliant Powder 6.5 Creedmoor Reloading Data

Started by txcas, March 23, 2017, 02:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txcas

The attachment has the tested load data that Alliant has developed for the Creedmoor.  As is the case with Alliant load data for most metallic cartridges, these loads are the max loads and need to be reduced by 10% for starting charges.

Steamer

Thank you for the info!
I'm currently not using any Alliant powders. but a copy of this will go in my notebook. It's good to have the information before it's needed.
The most misused words in the English language are "can't" and "won't".

Cleveland48

Thanks for the Info! Got it saved to my phone, now if I can only find some RL16!

Danbonzo

Quote from: Cleveland48 on March 23, 2017, 05:56:22 PMThanks for the Info! Got it saved to my phone, now if I can only find some RL16!
Powder Valley has 1's and 8's in stock as of now according to their website. https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/
RIP Chris Cornell

txcas

Quote from: Cleveland48 on March 23, 2017, 05:56:22 PMThanks for the Info! Got it saved to my phone, now if I can only find some RL16!
Powder Valley and Graf & Sons have it in stock.

Hobbsta

Any test data with the Alliant powder available?  Curious about the bullets used and group sizes. 

dadajack

Quote from: Hobbsta on March 24, 2017, 04:39:39 PMAny test data with the Alliant powder available?  Curious about the bullets used and group sizes. 

It's good shtuff. Get it.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
I have a lot of guns... There, I said it.

Cleveland48

There a local shop here that carries a lot of the alliant powders. I just never have time to get there. Hopefully get to stop by pretty soon.

jgars22

Quote from: Hobbsta on March 24, 2017, 04:39:39 PMAny test data with the Alliant powder available?  Curious about the bullets used and group sizes. 

I've been using RL16 with 143g ELD-X (everywhere around me is out of the 140g ELD-M bullets) i'm using 42gn getting on average 2730 fps with my chronograph at 10 feet.
My group was about the size of a nickel at 100 yards.
Im using a bergara lrp with a 24in barrel 1:8 twist.

Hobbsta

Thanks, all, for the great input!

Yesterday I tested some loads with the ELD 140gr and 120gr.   For the 140's, I used Hodgdon Hybrid 100V, and for the 120's I used H BLC-2.  Got great results for each.  What worked best was 39gr of Hybrid 100V with the 140gr projectiles with an average speed of 2578 fps measured with my chrono, resulting in a .37" group (5 rounds).  For the 120gr projectile, the best was with 38.5gr BLC-2, with an average speed of 2675 fps, resulting in a .10" group (3 rounds).  I have been testing other projectiles in 120gr and 140gr with the same 2 powders for the past 2 months, but with not as good results, and have tested loads with up to the max powder charge recommendations from Hodgdon.  I'm excited having this been the first round of tests with the ELD projectiles! 

What I have been finding out is that for all the tests that I have done, my rifle's sweet spot seems to be between 2550 fps and 2700 fps, regardless of projectile or powder, also getting the best ES and SD measurements in that range too.  I am shooting a Ruger Precision Rifle with a Burris XTR II 5-25 scope and an AAC muzzle break for QD of my suppressor, which I will be testing with down the road.  I'm a little bummed that I can't get better results with a higher charge and velocity, but I'll have to accept it, I guess.

More advice is greatly appreciated!

lofty

Anyone tried loads with RL19? A friend gave me about 2lbs of it today. I'd like to give it a run.
JD

Cold Trigger Finger

txcas;  thank you for posting this. From the look of it , Rl16 is a little bit slower than RL 17. I've still got a good bit of 17 so probably won't be trying 16 right away. But, its Great to have the factory tested data.
 That load for 23 really surprises me.
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

graydigger525

CAUTION RL16 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey y'all just want to put out a yellow flag if you are starting to play with RL16...  did some initial testing of RL16 and RL 26 today.  (Berger 140 VLD-H out of twice fired, sized, turned and annealed Nosler brass (158 gr) , pockets uniformed, Fed 210 M, BTO 2.182, COAL 2.844 (0.025" jump this gun), neck wall 0.0130", 0.285" bushing, loaded neck  dia 0.289", loads trickled with calibrated GemPro;  this gun Defiance Deviant Tactical w/small pin, 24" Benchmark on a Manners overbedded mini chassis w/Jewel, barrel fully sweetened.)

Primers cratering at 42.6 gr RL16 2908 fps (LabRadar 56F).  Progressive development of pressure signs:  42.9 (mean 2934 fps), primers flattening with slight E marks, blown primer at 43.2 (2945 fps), very heavy bolt lift 43.5 (2963 fps). 

I can't believe the suggested higher end load data posted for the SMK pill.  (My control load shot today was my pet load of 42.0 H4350 (everything else the same) making 2815 fps, sd 8, 0.38 moa 300 yds, which is kinda where it usually is given temperature.)

I dont know if others have tried, just wanted to get this out - PLEASE EVERYONE BE CAREFUL!!!

Interestingly, RL 26 was strikingly benign with absolutely no pressure signs from 46.5 gr. up to a slightly compressed load at 48.1 gr (making stupid 2965 fps). 

I remain intrigued by both powders as a possible temperature stable alternate to H4350.  We'll see on precision, but < 42.5 gr. RL16 appears promising.

cwall64

Quote from: graydigger525 on April 17, 2017, 12:37:56 AMCAUTION RL16 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey y'all just want to put out a yellow flag if you are starting to play with RL16...  did some initial testing of RL16 and RL 26 today.  (Berger 140 VLD-H out of twice fired, sized, turned and annealed Nosler brass (158 gr) , pockets uniformed, Fed 210 M, BTO 2.182, COAL 2.844 (0.025" jump this gun), neck wall 0.0130", 0.285" bushing, loaded neck  dia 0.289", loads trickled with calibrated GemPro;  this gun Defiance Deviant Tactical w/small pin, 24" Benchmark on a Manners overbedded mini chassis w/Jewel, barrel fully sweetened.)

Primers cratering at 42.6 gr RL16 2908 fps (LabRadar 56F).  Progressive development of pressure signs:  42.9 (mean 2934 fps), primers flattening with slight E marks, blown primer at 43.2 (2945 fps), very heavy bolt lift 43.5 (2963 fps). 

I can't believe the suggested higher end load data posted for the SMK pill.  (My control load shot today was my pet load of 42.0 H4350 (everything else the same) making 2815 fps, sd 8, 0.38 moa 300 yds, which is kinda where it usually is given temperature.)

I dont know if others have tried, just wanted to get this out - PLEASE EVERYONE BE CAREFUL!!!

Interestingly, RL 26 was strikingly benign with absolutely no pressure signs from 46.5 gr. up to a slightly compressed load at 48.1 gr (making stupid 2965 fps). 

I remain intrigued by both powders as a possible temperature stable alternate to H4350.  We'll see on precision, but < 42.5 gr. RL16 appears promising.

@graydigger525 I called into Berger and they were a lot more conservative on the RL16 numbers.  I would post but I did not ask about the VLDs...  I believe they were using QuickLoad to give me min and max numbers.
NRA Benefactor - Life

graydigger525

Thank you cwall64.  QL is such a useful development tool, and it is always interesting to input experimental data and see how it changes the computations!