Skip to main content
Topic: Practice sessiong, dot drills! (Read 2647 times) previous topic - next topic

Practice sessiong, dot drills!

We don't have the complete drill on video but got a good bit of it. Rob any input on how we can improve would be much appreciated. During the "low ready" drill I chambered a round before hitting the ground because I though it would be faster. I'm glad I did it in practice and not in a match because Vegas50 pointed out it may be faster but it will get you DQ'ed!

1. Single dot at the top engaged from the prone supported with two rounds in 30 seconds. It should take much less. This is recommended where you start your day- the infamous cold bore shot, with its follow up.

2. First row of 5 dots, with a magazine of 3 rounds and a second magazine of two, the shooter from the open, magazine inserted position, will fire 3 rounds, 1 round per dot, then reload and complete the row with the final 2 rounds. Time limit to start is 30 seconds.

3. Second row of 5 dots, with a magazine of 5 rounds inserted, the bolt back, shooter in the prone, he will put 1 round in each dot from the support side in 30 seconds.

4. 3rd row of 5 dots, with a magazine of 5 rounds inserted with the bolt back the shooter from the standing will drop into the prone and fire 1 round in the first dot in 15 seconds and reset the drill and stand up. From there he will repeat this with a descending time limit. 12 seconds, 10 seconds, 8 seconds, & finally 6 seconds for each shot.

5. Last row in the dot drill, the shooter with the rifle in the low ready, magazine inserted with the bolt back will drop to the prone and fire one rounds on the first dot in 30 seconds. He will reset and stand up with the rifle repeating the drill with a descending time limit of 25 sec, 20 seconds, 15 seconds and finally 10 seconds.

Sin City Precision practice session

Re: Practice sessiong, dot drills!

Reply #1
Joe....Great pictures and video I know everyone appreciates it when you post your competition matches and/or drills.  My back aches just watching you young guys drop into prone from standing position.   The dots appear to be 1" or are they smaller, and are you shooting at 100 yards or meters?  Awesome shooting under stress and time constraints.  Semper Fi
The latest caliber or gear is no substitute for experience and skill.  Rifles and cartridges don't make hits-----shooters do.

Reply #2

Joe....Great pictures and video I know everyone appreciates it when you post your competition matches and/or drills.  My back aches just watching you young guys drop into prone from standing position.   The dots appear to be 1" or are they smaller, and are you shooting at 100 yards or meters?  Awesome shooting under stress and time constraints.  Semper Fi

The dots are 1" and we were at 100y.  Shorts and the"tactical" flip flops were not ideal for practice as my knees felt it later that day.

It was humbling seeing 13 misses on a large dot at that distance.  It pointed out how important positioning behind the rifle is, i hurried many of the shots and consequently missed my a mile.

Reply #3
hmmm.  Its a very slow day at work so I was cleaning my rifle and practicing dry firing to waste away the day.  While doing that i noticed that my base was loose.  Im hoping that was the reason i sucked so bad at dots this weekend  :P, doubt it, but im glad i found out now and not when we are in AZ this weekend.

Reply #4
Thank guys! Means a lot to us. We started just having fun shooting long range and as we got better and better we would take on new challenges like angled shooting, range estimation and positional shooting. Shooting matches has really helped speed up our learning curve and were lucky to good friends to shoot with!

Vegas50 and I headed out as soon as we got out of work today. HOG and Vegas50 are getting ready to head down to AZ and shoot the AZ LRPS monthly match. Our good friends Tim and Regina Milkovich are down there and they are always a blast to shoot with. Vegas and I burned up some rounds zeroing the rifles and decided to shoot the Sniper's hide dot target. We were both shooting bug hole groups with the Creedmoor's but for some reason the 1/2" dots are deceptively challenging. It's nice to be back out shooting and I'm feeling better and better behind the rifle.

Reply #5
On our last class, the groups actually tightened up when we shortened the time, it was great to see this across the board... see the facebook pics under the Fieldcraft course.  Mark

Reply #6

On our last class, the groups actually tightened up when we shortened the time, it was great to see this across the board... see the facebook pics under the Fieldcraft course.  Mark

I really would like to do some work with Clint to get my shooting to the next level! Will he be coming down for a LV course, if you end up doing it?

Reply #7
Clint is down for it.  He was a USMC SS for 8 years, Ranger School and Jump School Grad, and a combat vet.  We are planning it for October, maybe the first weekend.  We are waiting to see if Scott can get leave, he is active duty USMC Recon, and we like to have him do some lectures and bring relevant recent combat experience and tactics to our advanced courses.  Mark

Reply #8
3/4" dots @ 100 yards

CMG MOA reticle

RDP MOA reticle

Its been awhile since we ran this one and it shows

Reply #9
Looks like im going to have to break out the savage 223 practice rifle.  Still no word on our new 6.5 barrels.

Reply #10
I made a couple video's of today's practice and experimentation. Well not really much experimentation other than trying different things with the 140 A-Max. New barrels seem to be a little more picky with the 140 A-Max than with the 139 Lapua Scenar (but I do think I found my 140 A-Max load).

Sin City Precision Video's

The first video is pretty long, it starts with Dave and Bill doing the portion of the drill where you start standing behind your rifle. After that its Dane and I doing the portion of the drill where you start from the low ready.

Here is a link to a video I did of my RAD rapid muzzle brake shooting super sonic ammo vs. Bill's rifle using a Elite Iron 6.5mm suppressor and sub sonic ammo. It isn't very objective and has no real point. I was just messing around with the camera while I was letting my barrel cool.

Sin City Precision Videos: Other

Reply #11
Links not working for me?? :-[