News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Ruger go wild 6.5

Started by Bigmaico, October 13, 2021, 04:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigmaico

Hello,

Does anyone have one?

Can't seem to put my hands on a Bergara to check how it fits me. I'm really particular about fit of my rifles.

But I did get to check out a Ruger go wild  in 6.5 Creedmoor, it felt really good.

Let me know your thoughts.

Tia

Howard.

Bigmaico

Well I picked up a Ruger go wild in 6.5 creedmoor.

Took it out to do a barrel break in , I couldn't even hit the paper with the first 10 rounds.

It had been bore sighted when I picked it up. Had one of the guys at the range shop redo the bore sighting.

Got it on paper & had to adjust the scope a bunch to get it to hit the center of the target.

Had a few decent groups on target, but that was with H380.  I know that the rifle will do much better when I get some H4350 or RL 16.

Only put about 30 rounds though the barrel so far.

gman47564

Make sure the barrel is free floating on your new rifle.. alot of the ruger Americans have the end of the forearm touching the barrel on one side..
Grant

Bigmaico

Quote from: gman47564 on October 19, 2021, 07:49:48 PMMake sure the barrel is free floating on your new rifle.. alot of the ruger Americans have the end of the forearm touching the barrel on one side..

Will do, thank for the heads up!

Cold Trigger Finger

There are lots of powders that work very well in the Creed. Rl 17 works great. Imr and Accurate 4350 work Great. For light bullets , 120 gr and lighter , Varget is good.
 What will you be shooting in it for bullets and will you be mostly hunting , or target shooting with it ?
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Bigmaico

Quote from: Cold Trigger Finger on November 30, 2021, 09:46:16 PMThere are lots of powders that work very well in the Creed. Rl 17 works great. Imr and Accurate 4350 work Great. For light bullets , 120 gr and lighter , Varget is good.
 What will you be shooting in it for bullets and will you be mostly hunting , or target shooting with it ?

Just got a 1 pound of H4831sc, along with some H380 & IMR 4895.

I have about 145 Hornady 140 gr interlocks to load.  6.5 creedmoor bullets are still hard to find in the Houston Tx area.

I know I can find Hornady match bullets, but I'm a meat hunter. I just might have to go online to find what I want.

Denver Steve

H4831sc will work good for 140+ grain bullets out of the creedmoor.

jvw2008

Quote from: Denver Steve on December 02, 2021, 05:05:39 AMH4831sc will work good for 140+ grain bullets out of the creedmoor.

Especially with a longer barrel to allow for the slightly slower burn rate relative to H4350.

jvw2008

Also think your IMR 4895 will work for your lighter weight bullets but start good and low with your initial charges to stay away from excessive pressure.

Bigmaico

Quote from: jvw2008 on December 02, 2021, 08:28:14 AMAlso think your IMR 4895 will work for your lighter weight bullets but start good and low with your initial charges to stay away from excessive pressure.

Right now I don't have any bullets lighter the the Hornady 140gr interlocks!

But I might pick some up to play with.

I did shoot some Nosler 140gr Custom Competition  loaded with H 380, shot pretty well too!

sportacus

Howard,
Now that you are settling in with your Ruger, some things to think about.  Trigger:  You can upgrade to a Timney drop-in.  Easy install and makes a big difference. Or, replace the factory spring with a new spring from MCARBO.  Another game changer.  Bolt shroud:  Aluminum from Anarchy.  Stock:  Weakest link in the American series. Fore end hinky with flex.  I have put American Predators in Boyd's laminates, MAGPUL Americans and B&C's. Partial to the B&C.  Adds some weight but rock steady.  My personal chit is still in factory.  Lefties.  No one makes aftermarket for left hand American Predators.  No sweat.  My very talented friend Jim drilled the length of the forends and epoxied in 8" carbon fiber rods.  Added a touch of weight but zeroed out the flex. Things you can do to your rifle to make it accurate and friendly are endless.  Enjoy.
Wayne
If you have the shot, take it.

Bigmaico

Quote from: sportacus on December 02, 2021, 02:39:23 PMHoward,
Now that you are settling in with your Ruger, some things to think about.  Trigger:  You can upgrade to a Timney drop-in.  Easy install and makes a big difference. Or, replace the factory spring with a new spring from MCARBO.  Another game changer.  Bolt shroud:  Aluminum from Anarchy.  Stock:  Weakest link in the American series. Fore end hinky with flex.  I have put American Predators in Boyd's laminates, MAGPUL Americans and B&C's. Partial to the B&C.  Adds some weight but rock steady.  My personal chit is still in factory.  Lefties.  No one makes aftermarket for left hand American Predators.  No sweat.  My very talented friend Jim drilled the length of the forends and epoxied in 8" carbon fiber rods.  Added a touch of weight but zeroed out the flex. Things you can do to your rifle to make it accurate and friendly are endless.  Enjoy.
Wayne

Thanks Wayne,

Those are some modifications to think about.

I just got the rifle back from Ruger last week, for some reason I couldn't lock the bolt on a loaded round, but it would lock on a empty chamber.

The service order said  replaced barrel & bolt. No other explanation? No reason given as to why the barrel was replaced.

New barrel now has  20 rounds it.  Starting to tighten up the groups.

Just picked up a box of Hornady SST 140 gr projectiles to add to my interlocks.

I just might load some of the SST  up with the H4831sc I have for S&G's

RetiredChief

Have the Ruger Go Wild – Like it, except the muzzle brake. The muzzle brake blows back in face at the range causing me to blink.  OK for hunting.
I've gone to all copper bullets (Barnes 120gr TTSX, 127 gr LRX, & 140 gr Hornady GMX).  Powders I've tried are: Superformance, Varget, & StaBall 6.5.  I've had good luck with all three powders.
Best load was With the Staball 6.5 (43.8 grains), 120 gr barnes TTSX bullet – Approx 0.06" from lands.
4 Shots, three holes touching (3/8" group).

https://www.65creedmoor.com/index.php?action=dlattach;sa=tmpattach;attach=post_tmp_9428_cf2bfbb8e84f5f9b75f0c4fb60d8df70;topic=12580

LeadHammer

Chief, do you know what speed you were getting with those 120's and Staball?

DHuffman

Quote from: RetiredChief on December 07, 2021, 09:03:49 AMHave the Ruger Go Wild – Like it, except the muzzle brake. The muzzle brake blows back in face at the range causing me to blink.  OK for hunting.
I've gone to all copper bullets (Barnes 120gr TTSX, 127 gr LRX, & 140 gr Hornady GMX).  Powders I've tried are: Superformance, Varget, & StaBall 6.5.  I've had good luck with all three powders.
Best load was With the Staball 6.5 (43.8 grains), 120 gr barnes TTSX bullet – Approx 0.06" from lands.
4 Shots, three holes touching (3/8" group).

https://www.65creedmoor.com/index.php?action=dlattach;sa=tmpattach;attach=post_tmp_9428_cf2bfbb8e84f5f9b75f0c4fb60d8df70;topic=12580

Very nice load and shooting!  Everyone likes the gill sided angled back brakes until the shoot them LOL, try a radial brake like a Harrels or even the straight filled Savage style. Both just as effective and much more user friendly IMO   
Dave