Skip to main content
Topic: Wyoming trip canceled! (Read 456 times) previous topic - next topic

Wyoming trip canceled!

My wife and my son's have pressured me into canceling my wyoming hunting trip.
My recent stroke being their main reason and the thousand mile journey with me hunting solo. I can't say that the thought of not going is not very depressing.
On the other hand I don't need or mean to cause family to worry about me.
The relief of The cancellation is that I won't have tofightto keep my eyes open on that 1000 mile trek. Also my rifles and loads are not teady.
I have not yet installed the freezer which was on this weekend's list.
I haven't washed the sleeping bag and bed linen yet nor have I even made a menu anf grocery store listuet. If i can save the time of itemsnot doneueti may have timetolookalittle more at my Minnesota huntingspotsthis coming week.
I also plan on buying a Wisconsin archery license and hope to get a little time in on my old haunts there.
My pronghorn meat supply was depleted this summer as i gave most of it to my daughter and son in law before they left to return home to tennessee.
This morning when iwokevup irealixedthat todaywas the opener for my lope and mule deer hunts
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Re: Wyoming trip canceled!

Reply #1
Randy you have come a very long ways back from where initially were with that stroke. With more time and activity there is opportunity for even more improvement. Start planning for next year. Get yourself a travel/hunting buddy who can help prepare for the Wyo trip next year and share in some of the driving chores there and back home. Start planning now.

Reply #2
Randy,
We are all proud of how you have climbed back.  Know it is a bummer but there is always next season.  I kinda went through the same drill last year.  Major back surgery in June, then trashed the surgeon's work in August reacting to what hurricanes Laura and Delta did to me. Knew I was f'ng up when I humped the gas cans and tarped the roof.  ;D  Gimped around and shot a couple of cull bucks, one each in LA and TN.  That kept me on life support. 
Hopefully you are ready to roll next year.  A little break will make the next adventure that much more special.
Wayne
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #3
One of the guys on my safety netlist just posted on a group on fake book and heandhis parter bothscoredon beautiful pronghorn in the sameunit my tag  was for. I sent him GPS coordinates forwherei shot a niceoneseeral years back, I hope that's where theygottheirs. He is a policeanfrom indianapolis, I'm sure hins vacation is just what needed to unwind from a high stress job.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #4
Addendum; a couple more firsts for me today. 1rst time hunting out of a ground blind. 1rst shot ever a deer with a crossbow. 1rst archery deer in Wisconsin since 1995.
One shot took a nice fat whitetail doe, dropped in [email protected]
Arrow perfect behind the shoulder, deflected off a rib & up into the neck.
Now i have some real good meat to replace what I have away.
Suprised it went straight down (38 yards).
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #5
Randy,
Way to go.  Adapt and overcome. Congrats on the fresh venison.
Wayne

Reply #6
That's truly cool Randy glad you're getting out there and enjoying yourself.

I've often thought about a light portable ground blind for hunting the wide open grasslands.
Dave

Reply #7
I spent at least 10 hours in my Ameristep chair blind
It is a folding chair with metal bands that hold up the tent material.
Candy of handy to carry with the bag it comes with.
I plan on using it in the rifle seasons too and put my small catalytic  tent heater inside to stay warm as the temp drops. Nice part is staying out of the rain or snow.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #8
Dave,
I use ground blinds, a lot.  Have some like Randy described and some larger ones that will comfortably fit two hunters.  I try to get mine in early so the deer are accustomed to them. On a whim, bought a couple this year on Amazon from a company named Primal.  Reviews were good.  They are built like a tank.
Set up on my place in TN a month ago as prep for muzzleloader opener 6 November.  You can get away with a lot in a ground blind concerning scent and movement.  The big downer.  You can't hear squat.  Also have a couple of ladder stands in the big woods.  If there is no wind, the tell tale crunch through the leaves amps me up.
Wayne

Reply #9
My main concern is they will stick out like a sore thumb with no cover behind them to break up their outline.
Dave

Reply #10
Dave i dont know for sure but i bet you can buy ground blinds that look just like the terrain you hunt in.. if not you could set it up and throw a bunch of the natural cover on it.
Grant

Reply #11
They do stick out like a sore thumb. Whenever we are scoutti my in New country our eyes are always open looking for evidence of other hunters.
Some stands like ladder stands or permanent structures are easy to spot.
While hunting I often run across ground blinds or evidence that one had been there.
Often you may find that others set up too close. There seems to be many that do not care if they step on your toes. Obviously I wish others would look for the signs we leave in the woods. I make our stands conspicuous and would hope others would not decode too intrude on the locations I have picked. Last year in mn someone set up a ladder stand right next to where i got my buck. Not the first time but have had others do the same in the past. One of our stands was set up in the tallest tree around and another guy started climbing it while my buddy was 30 feet higher.
Common courtesy to others goes a long way.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #12
The saga of my stroke, the life flight helicopter, the rescue squad and subsequent hunting trip cancellation continues. I've spent 4 nights in the camper at my sons this trip. While I slept those damn wolf ticks spent their nights burrowing into my body parts. One deep into my leftboob while 2 more in my right arm. My grand daughter went to work with thetweezera on one while my daughter-in-law and my son helped pry out the other twp. I feltafew crawling on my back when I was on a long hike with my oldest grandson on saturday. He assisted by lifting my shirt& jacket and took them off for me. I picked several more off my hands after they got that far on me. The area that most of them came from had plenty of deer last year and was loaded with wolf scat.that scat appeared to be from winter.hence the name "wolf" ticks.
While shed hunting the last few years during shed hunting in the spring, I've seen the trend of deer/wolf concentrated areas and those little ticks also concentrated (picked about 100 one day). After only 20 this weekend and the three bites (chomps), my wife thought better and took me into Urgent care. Another prescription of a powerful antiviral dDoxycycline Hyclate as a prophylactic prior to any foreseen lymes disease.
We lost a close friend to this disease who took his own life as this disease crippled him and ravaged his brain &  mind.
Who would think to blame high cholestral levels that were thought to be the cause of my heart event that led up to the stroke could be the cause of my exposure to the Lyme disease carrying  insects. Let's move the blame a little farther past the heart event. Add in post election stress levelsalong with unobtanium primers caused by an effective campaign to mislead and raise fears in voters. Now add the national campaign to increase wolf population by leftist he USFS & USDA and furthered by appointed judges.
Under 44's watch.hurse asked me today deer tick?, nothing dear about them ! We used to call the little multi colored ticks, "bear" ticks. The larger brownish ones were "wood" ticks I coined the "wolf" tick nymph during my spring shed hunting expeditions. My wife hates them too. When I get home I have to strip in the garage and my clothes go straight in the washing machine. Often she finds multiple ticks on top of the agitator. Which are plenty to agitate her! If i tell her the next year where I'm headed [email protected] no you are not, too many ticks in there last year. We all know who's the boss.
Happy wife, happy life! She dislikes snakes more than bugs.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #13
Seems like all the different species of ticks carry one nasty disease or another. Lymes used to be strictly in the New England states. Now it’s spread as far south west as eastern Texas and across the Canadian border through Minnesota and Wisconsin. Bad stuff. The family of tetracyclines will keep the organism at bay for most patients but not all, and they can help prevent an infection if started early. But, once you have it, medication usually won’t clear it. In many folks it will lay in remission until they get stressed and then it comes back with a vengeance.  Randy doxycycline is one of the better tetracyclines to use. You’ve got a darn good wife!👍

Reply #14
I have a ritual/routine I started many years ago to repel ticks and chiggers. Hang my scent free clothes on the line and treat with Sawyer permethrin premium insect repellent.  Good for 6 washings. Works like a champ.  In the summer, I will bail off into a blackberry thicket to pick and don't have  a single hitchhiker when I hit the shower.  Last year, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever spanked the young farmer that does my food plots and bush hogging in TN.  He is a tuff nut and it brought him to his knees.  Took him months to fully recover.  Most familiar with deer tick and Texas Lone Star.  Both carry some nasty stuff.