Skip to main content
Topic: New Front rests (Read 172 times) previous topic - next topic

New Front rests

This is a JJ Loh front rest I'm the second owner but was unused by the first.

They're no longer made as the maker John Loh passed on. I changed out the brass speed screw for a Field & Cave Precision screw.

I'll be testing it this afternoon.
Dave

Re: New Front rests

Reply #1
let us know what you think Dave.
Would be interested in if you like it better than your Sinclair
that you've hopped up. Ease of use, and how fast you can change elev. and vertical
Heard they are a quality rest.

Reply #2
let us know what you think Dave.
Would be interested in if you like it better than your Sinclair
that you've hopped up. Ease of use, and how fast you can change elev. and vertical
Heard they are a quality rest.

Playing with it right now, I'll report later.
Dave

Reply #3
This is the Randolph Machine rest I bought recently also. Again I'm the second owner but it's unused until this morning.

At 600 yards with my Panda it's hands down better than my Sinclair. HUGE range of motion through elevation and windage.

The bag holder is passive (swivels freely) and doesn't bind up on bigger windage moves. The Panda tracks better in it.

Might be a little more to set up but was my first time this morning and I think it will be as easy once I've done it a few times.

I decided I had to have one of these because at any 600 yard match there seems to be more top shooters using a Randolph.
Dave

Reply #4
Never having used a rest like that i really like the looks of that jj rest.. hope it does well for ya.
Grant

Reply #5
The JJ performed well also might have to keep them all 😂
Dave

Reply #6
The JJ may not have as much gross elevation adjustment as the Sinclair or the Randolph. The Sinclair has fine, medium and coarse adjustment and the Randolph just has a huge range.

The biggest drawback to the Sinclair is in 600 yard competition where you are trying to cover a steel sighter plate and then 2 targets side by side. If you dont set the rest up correctly you can get bound up on the right side of the windage because of the way it pivots instead of moving straight side to side like the other two. Set it up too far right to prevent binding up and you can run out of travel to the left for your sighter steel.
It can be done but you have to center it up right. Go too far left and you lose the tension on the top, too far right and you bind up.
Dave

Reply #7
Both quality rests.
Guess it will come down to, which works best for you.

Reply #8
My Sinclair is still a very good rest and once you learn how to manage that one weak point it's all good.

At any distance on a single target it's not an issue.
Dave

Reply #9
These wouldn't go bang yesterday for some reason LOL
Dave

Reply #10
The Borden on the JJ
Dave

Reply #12
Don't ya just hate that.  >:(

Reply #13
I've shot a few times on both rests now. The Randolph has been getting excess horizontal that I've tracked down to the tension screws that apply pressure to the bag ears will not stay tight. I put some blue lost its on them and will see if that does it next weekend.  When I get that resolved it will be solid.
The JJ is working flawlessly in spite of having a little too much sand in the bag. I'll take it off and dribble a little out until I get it right.
Dave

Reply #14
Dave, if you decide to sell the Randolph, let me know....I'm interested.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough