Skip to main content
Topic: Did you shoot today?  (Read 602 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Did you shoot today?

Reply #45
My parents are getting older, have to spend time with them. I will be ready for my next outing and be more organized and get out to 1000 again.

Reply #46
Ok, so the forecast was rain, but I decided to go out anyway as the weatherman often is wrong up here. ( and he was )
I made it to my spot, set up the target and bench at 804 yards to start, ( hoping my data from the other day would get me close. )

My first round was a low right hit, so the wind way stronger at the target than I thought, the wind at the bench was 1 mph from 7:00. My next 5 rounds were 8.5", so not very good but was a good start.

The wind was still low so after spraying the gong I proceeded to head back to the 1000 mark, it ended up being 1039 as 1000 was putting me on a downslope hillside. Ok cool , it would be my farthest hit if I make it.

My first two attempts at 1039 were misses to the right, but I was able to see them through the scope, and measured them. My next 3 shots were great for me and honestly the shots felt pretty good as well.

Once again after painting up the target, I went to try again. Unfortunately I was missing to the left and a tad high, missed twice. ( gong is 18.5" square ) I was dumb on my flags at the target and sure enough the wind had shifted, even hough it was still quite calm. However after measuring my misses again, my next three shots were fantastic. So I at least know my stock rifle can still shoot, and my loads are ok, but I also know I can't read wind for crap lol. I will start another thread on that.

I was shooting Berger's  and my Leica said 1039 yards.  I was surprised how close Ballistic arc app was though.

Reply #47
I struggle with the wind way out there also.. i always seem to over think it.. always fun to whack that steel way out there whether a guy misses a few times or not..
Grant

Reply #48
In long range competition there are two schools of thought. Trust your last sighter then run your records as quick as you can and then there are the wind readers that try to pick the repeat condition. Ive never had any luck with the latter.

Nice pictures and good shooting!
Dave

Reply #49
In long range competition there are two schools of thought. Trust your last sighter then run your records as quick as you can and then there are the wind readers that try to pick the repeat condition. Ive never had any luck with the latter.

Nice pictures and good shooting!

Thanks!

Reply #50
Wow LeadHammer that looks like great place to set up and shoot. Glad you have it to enjoy. 👍

Reply #51
Wow LeadHammer that looks like great place to set up and shoot. Glad you have it to enjoy. 👍

Yep its a good spot for sure and I'm glad the generous farmer lets me on. It is a bit hilly, ( does not show up well in the pic ) so it seems to swirl about a bit, and it faces West, so evening shooting can be tough, but I'm not complaining. It was also nice because the crop was off early this year. Next year it will be taken off late though, as it will probably be Canola.

Reply #52
Terrain or lay of the land has a big impact on wind as you've noticed.
Dave

Reply #53
Terrain or lay of the land has a big impact on wind as you've noticed.

I may have another spot, a different farmer, but it will likely face East or South. I think it may be flatter. I will have to try and get ahold of him this fall, I used to weld for him way back in high school, and get hunting permission from him every year so know him well enough.
What direction do most big shooting ranges face, like Avery and all those?

Google maps shows North East for that one.
It seems our Saskatchewan long range club shoots North East as well, interesting.

Reply #54
North / south orientation is the preference but it doesn’t always work out that way due to other geographic limitations. I believe the Deep Creek 1000 yard range gets some easterly exposure and sun issues for the benches up until about 10 am. That range is laid into a mountain side and there is really only one way it fits well.

Reply #55
I'd love to shoot there!!! Looks great.

Reply #56
It’s a great range. Pretty country. Lots of trees and some tricky winds generated by the hilly terrain. Most importantly though - just a great group of dedicated long range shooters there. I haven’t been to a lot of different ranges but it is sure my favorite.

It’s a looong  drive from Colorado. 😊

Reply #57
Deep Creek lays almost dead east, Elbow Lake lays straight west, Gopher mostly north IIRC, Hunters Pointe and Vapor Trail Valley to the south.

So whatever fits, my 600/1000 yard spot in ND started out shooting SW then a farmer put up a grain bin and then they drilled an oil well so i shoot NW now. At home in SD i shoot mostly to the SE.
Dave

Reply #58
It definitely varies lots then I see. Makes sense. Wind wise my current spot is good as we get lots of west winds, probably better to shoot into that and deal with the sun instead.