Skip to main content
Topic: 2021 1000 Yd BR Nationals (Read 523 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2021 1000 Yd BR Nationals

Reply #30
That would make me happy!😊. Go get em’ Bob!!

Reply #31
If the strings are long and fast then that would be hard on a 6.5x284 barrel but between it and a dasher or 6 creed in a 10 or 15 mph wind i would go with the 6.5x284.. hell you might win a new barrel.. lol.. and just know dave i wasnt trying to be argumentative.. i know alot of guys favor the 6br variants and for good reason.. just be cool for someone to take the time and put in the effort to put a 6.5 on the podium.. bob may very well be that guy.. 😁

Plenty of very good shooters take the time every year Grant. Bob very well may be the guy and ill be happy for him as well as proud of him if he does.

I personally know and bought that JJ Loh rest from the guy that won the 2021 Williamsport World Open HG score and placed 3rd in Group with the 47L & 140s mentioned above. Thats a pretty big Podium in the BR arena. He immediately bought 2 or 3 more barrels from the same maker in the same run / lot of steel and immediately started buying up bullets and powder of the same lot. People are taking the time and custom bullet makers are continually refining 6.5 bullets. For you to insinuate nobody is putting in the effort would be insulting to the people that are.
People win with 6.5s but more people feel it's easier to win with a 6 and frequently do. The wind advantage from a bigger heavier higher BC bullet going faster also brings a disadvantage in recoil and gun handling. There are more factors than than BC and velocity.

The point I'm trying to make is it's easier to put the combination together for a 6mm BR or variant than probably anything else. It's easier to manage the recoil from a 6 BR or variant and better recoil management means better tracking. Barrel torque factors in as well and the bigger and heavier the bullet and powder charge the more torque.

If Bob were to take a slingshot and compete at this match he'd still have my admiration because he's evolved into a competition shooter who is willing and looking forward to taking his gear to the range and competing against some of the best shooters in the USA and ill be watching for results to see how he does as well as several others I know and consider friends. Actually Im jealous im not going to be there.

Dave

Reply #32
@autoxforfun I'm not real familiar with NBRSA but isn't the course of fire more demanding than IBS? More record rounds  in 600 HG and or more targets back to back? Like you sit down and shoot all your targets for that class back to back? I know some IBS guys who don't shoot NBRSA because they feel it's too hard on barrels so what I'm getting at in a roundabout way is a 6.5-284 running a 144 @ 3000 going to live very long in your opinion or am I wrong about the course of fire?

The typical NBRSA relay is that you shoot all of your targets in the relay.  For LG, you get a sighter period, then a 10 minute period for record (5-shots), then a short sighter period, 10 minutes for your next record period, a final sighter period and 3rd record period.  So within ~45 minutes you will shoot your 15 record shots plus as many sighters as you want.   This is not too bad on the barrel.  I'll shoot around 30-35 rounds.

For Heavy gun, the same sequence is used as well as timing but rather than 5 shots for record, you shoot 10.  So Dave, to your point, this would put a lot of stress on the 6.5-284.  Barrel coolers are a necessity.   I'll shoot 50 rounds.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #33
Thanks everyone for the great support and encouragement...you guys are great.  The CM's have done well in the local matches.  Sometimes I get the best group but more often, I'm consistent....hoping that holds and helps me.  But no matter what, it should be fun to shoot with these guys.  
Bob

Reply #34
I now have 400 pieces of brass prepped and ready for priming and loading.  200 cases of Dasher, 100 cases of 6mm CM and 100 cases of 6.5mm CM.   I'm heading off the the 2nd to the last race of the season, so the reloading will start next week.  I have three weeks to finish the loading....plenty of time.
Bob

Reply #35
I'm still undecided on what to shoot for the 1000 yard Heavy Gun relay.  My default is the 6 Dasher but I'm still considering the 6.5-284.  Today, we had our regular Monday morning practice session.  I have been developing loads using the Berger 144g Hybrid so I wanted to get some time at distance.  This morning was not the ideal conditions for testing a new load on a new bullet.  The winds came up overnight and we were facing 22+ mph winds from the NW...from about 2 o'clock...so pretty much in your face and blowing hard.   The good news was that it was pretty steady with very few let-ups.  But the results really impressed me.  We shot at 600 yards and it was printing 2-3 inch groups.  Everyone else was struggling to get below 6".  The 144g sure seemed to handle the wind well.  The barrel only has 44 rounds down it and so it is still speeding up....so a bit risky to shoot in competition.  But if the weather starts looking bad, I may keep it as my backup.  From the weather forecast for next week, the 600 yard match looks good but rain is predicted for the 1000 yard match.
Bob

Reply #36
I may have to try the 144s in my 47L improved but the 2800 node will be about as fast as I will be able to run them. It does sound like they're wanting to shoot for you though.

Can't wait to see how you do.

There was a Panda barrel in .260 Rem on AS the other day that had me scratching my head and thinking. LOL
Dave

Reply #37
2 to 3 inch groups at 600 in 20+ mph winds i would take my chances with it bob.. it may spped up a little during the match but i wouldnt think it would be an excessive  amount..
Grant

Reply #38
The fellow shooter pulling my target yesterday sent me this photo this morning......like I indicated, I was impressed with the performance of the rifle and bullet yesterday given the conditions.
Bob

Reply #39
That looks pretty salty alright LOL maybe some of the newer bullets will put the 6.5-284 back in the game.

It will have to dethrone a bunch of 6s 7s and 30s though before it really takes off again though. Like we've discussed before there are guys shooting 6.5s but mostly in Lapua and Creedmoor and variants of each.

I've got a laminated Deep Creek LRB that we're going to make a 22# gun off my Panda action to be Rendezvous legal as well as IBS HG legal. It will sport a 6" wide fore end. We've discussed it here before, with bigger cartridges until you get recoil, torque and tracking under control and have the rest and bags to support the gun's added weight and behavior it's not going to shoot competitively in a match setting.

I'm thinking I'll get my 6.5 Lapua improved barrels threaded for brakes and revisit them as well as my 7-08 improved and may look at a .284 based case as well. I'll also have a BRA or Dasher barrel for it too.

Dave

Reply #40
The 6.5-284 is around 31lbs and handles the recoil very nicely.  It is almost as easy to shoot as the Dasher due to the weight.  I have a 5" plate that I've fitted but not currently using (stayed with the 3") but once I get the front bag figured out, I'll probably go there as well.  It will drop the height of the front about 1/2".   I try very hard to stay away from using a brake since they are not very neighbor friendly....just know how it feels to be next to a guy shooting a big caliber that has a brake.

For heavy gun, putting 10 shots down in a short time really heats the barrel of the 284...which is a big downside of a bigger caliber.  The Dasher is great and may still be the way I go.  It will depend on what the weather does.  If there is a lot of wind, I will shoot the 284.  I will get a chance to shoot the Dasher at 600yards so that will also help me decide.  If it shoots well, it will build my confidence which only helps.

Dave, you've got some interesting builds in your head.....look forward to seeing them materialize.
Bob

Reply #41
If it weren't for the Rendezvous 22# limit I'd go heavier.
Dave

Reply #42
Bob did you switch powders in your new 6.5x284 barrel? Or are you still running the rl26 in it..

Nice target by the way.. especially with a 20 mph wind.. good shooting..
Grant

Reply #43
Bob did you switch powders in your new 6.5x284 barrel? Or are you still running the rl26 in it..

Nice target by the way.. especially with a 20 mph wind.. good shooting..

Grant, I definitely took your advice and went with RL-23.  It definitely shoots better and the barrel cleans up easier as well.  Shooting around 51.0g at 2950fps.  Need to go verify the MV since yesterday as I suspect the barrel has sped up some.
Bob

Reply #44
So far there are 23 per-registered and the club expects that we'll end up with around 30 by the time the matches begin next Tuesday.  The rain looks to be moving out so hopefully we'll have a full dry week.
Bob