Skip to main content
Topic: 2021 1000 Yd BR Nationals (Read 525 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2021 1000 Yd BR Nationals

Reply #15
Wishing you the best. Regardless of where you come out it is always a fabulous learning experience and a lifetime memory. Wish I could join you there.

Reply #16
I wish you the best also Bob, I've managed to do decent this summer in spit of it being less matches and a bit of a lackluster season and I'm looking forward to the SD 600 yard State Championship the first weekend in October. I've got about 4 barrels that likely have at least one weekend left in them but could lay down at any time realistically.

The IBS 600 Nationals in NC on the 25th of this month seems like an extremely long drive and with my barrels on the tail end of their life I can't see making the long trip and catching the SD match on the way home trying to get everything ready again on the road so I will skip the National match this year.

The SD match will be no joke with some of the best shooters in the country there. After that I think I'll take my actions out to Helena so  Shawn can start spinning up barrels. Will be an expensive trip to the smith after he spins up 6 barrels and builds a new rifle 😲
Dave

Reply #17
I wish you the best also Bob, I've managed to do decent this summer in spit of it being less matches and a bit of a lackluster season and I'm looking forward to the SD 600 yard State Championship the first weekend in October. I've got about 4 barrels that likely have at least one weekend left in them but could lay down at any time realistically.

The IBS 600 Nationals in NC on the 25th of this month seems like an extremely long drive and with my barrels on the tail end of their life I can't see making the long trip and catching the SD match on the way home trying to get everything ready again on the road so I will skip the National match this year.

The SD match will be no joke with some of the best shooters in the country there. After that I think I'll take my actions out to Helena so  Shawn can start spinning up barrels. Will be an expensive trip to the smith after he spins up 6 barrels and builds a new rifle 😲
What are you thinking about for the new build on the DCT stock?

Reply #18
Talked to our Match Director yesterday about the participation in the up-coming Nationals.  He said there was a lot of interest from the neighboring states as well as within CA.  So it looks like there will be a good turn out for the match.  So looking forward to getting my butt kicked and being able to meet some of the top shooters in our region.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #19
Those contacts will become super valuable to you. Most importantly though just have fun there and learn.

Reply #20
Talked to our Match Director yesterday about the participation in the up-coming Nationals.  He said there was a lot of interest from the neighboring states as well as within CA.  So it looks like there will be a good turn out for the match.  So looking forward to getting my butt kicked and being able to meet some of the top shooters in our region.

Their guys just like you bob.. they load one round at a time same as you.. you have put in the work and effort and i suspect you will do very well.. if you choose the 6 creed as one of your rifles i would stick with the 105 hybrids in it.. my opinion is the 115 is too much bullet for it.. but you will know for sure after you test it..
Grant

Reply #21
I think I have my guns and loads set for the Nationals.  I took the 6mm CM out today with a fresh Krieger barrel and shot 115g Berger VLD's at 600 yards.  It was consistently printing 2" groups.  So that will be my 600 yard light gun.  So the line-up as of now is:

600 Yards:  LG= 6 CM-115g VLD,  HG= 6 Dasher-105g Hybrid
1000 Yards:  LG= 6.5 CM-140g Hybrid, HG= 6 Dasher-105g Hybrid.

If I can get time, I would like to see if I can get the 6.5-284 shooting Berger 144g Hybrids tuned in for the 1000 yard HG....but I may run out of time and the Dasher is shooting so well, why chance it.
Bob

Reply #22
I think I have my guns and loads set for the Nationals.  I took the 6mm CM out today with a fresh Krieger barrel and shot 115g Berger VLD's at 600 yards.  It was consistently printing 2" groups.  So that will be my 600 yard light gun.  So the line-up as of now is:

600 Yards:  LG= 6 CM-115g VLD,  HG= 6 Dasher-105g Hybrid
1000 Yards:  LG= 6.5 CM-140g Hybrid, HG= 6 Dasher-105g Hybrid.

If I can get time, I would like to see if I can get the 6.5-284 shooting Berger 144g Hybrids tuned in for the 1000 yard HG....but I may run out of time and the Dasher is shooting so well, why chance it.

Stick with the Dasher Bob, chances are pretty good a 6mm BR variant will win. It wont be you if you're shooting a 6.5 😁
Dave

Reply #23
Best of luck to all you competition shooters.  Make us proud!
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #24
Dance with what you have confidence in  . Dave are you saying a 6.5 cant win? That suprises me.. i know the dasher and bra is all the rage these days but i wouldnt count out a 6.5 of some sort.. bob may have something for them if he can get that 144 gr bullet shooting little up there around 3000fps in his 6.5x284..
Grant

Reply #25
I have a lot of confidence in the Dasher, the 6.5CM and now the 6CM....but I would put the Dasher ahead of the two CMs.  They all will shoot consistently good groups.  The Dasher is 19lbs, so I need the CM's for the LG matches which has a 17lb max.  The big issue is going to be the wind.  It is a big unknown as to what the conditions will be and how well each competitor will read it.  October is supposed to be calmer but you never know until the day/hour of the match.
Bob

Reply #26
... Dave are you saying a 6.5 cant win? That suprises me.. i know the dasher and bra is all the rage these days but i wouldnt count out a 6.5 of some sort..

No I'm not Grant but if something besides a 6mm wins HG I bet it will be a .300 wsm before it's a 6.5 or 7 if all we consider is BC the BRA and Dasher would get whipped regularly.
I've had a little success with 6.5s and 7s competing. Dave Way has had some recent 6.5 success with 140 Bergers in a 47L,  Mike McBrid has had some 6.5 succes with 139 and 133 VT in an improved 47L and an improved Creedmoor.
There are always people trying other calibers but most wind up back on the 6s
Dave

Reply #27
.. lbob may have something for them if he can get that 144 gr bullet shooting little up there around 3000fps in his 6.5x284..

@autoxforfun I'm not real familiar with NBRSA but isn't the course of fire more demanding than IBS? More record rounds  in 600 HG and or more targets back to back? Like you sit down and shoot all your targets for that class back to back? I know some IBS guys who don't shoot NBRSA because they feel it's too hard on barrels so what I'm getting at in a roundabout way is a 6.5-284 running a 144 @ 3000 going to live very long in your opinion or am I wrong about the course of fire?
Dave

Reply #28
Historically, the only 6.5 that has shown reasonable success in long range bench rest is the 6.5x284. That round will still kick a** if you can make yourself accept sub 1000 round barrels.( not always but frequently the case)  I applaud any one who campaigns a 6.5 CM in competition. IMO it is the most universal cartridge ever created. However, I think it is best suited for the tactical type comps like PRS. I have in fact seen the 6.5 CM win at 600 and 1000 yard BR - just not consistently. I’m wishing Bob a couple days of laser results at that NBRSA Nationals match with our beloved 6.5 CM. On any given day the stars can align and make any one’s assumptions wrong.

Reply #29
If the strings are long and fast then that would be hard on a 6.5x284 barrel but between it and a dasher or 6 creed in a 10 or 15 mph wind i would go with the 6.5x284.. hell you might win a new barrel.. lol.. and just know dave i wasnt trying to be argumentative.. i know alot of guys favor the 6br variants and for good reason.. just be cool for someone to take the time and put in the effort to put a 6.5 on the podium.. bob may very well be that guy.. 😁
Grant