Skip to main content
Topic: V2 Finale Long Range F class invitational championship  (Read 390 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: V2 Finale Long Range F class invitational championship

Reply #15
Just ordered two 6mm 8 twist 3 grooves from Carson Lilja this week.
Dave

Reply #16
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback!  You have given me honest and thought provoking answers which have been needling me for years.  Now that I am in my "Golden Years" I have more time to practice what I like to do, which is long range shooting but don't feel like I can compete.  I was appreciate your answering my question and wish all of you that compete good luck.   I will continue to support this forum as best as I can.

Mike

Reply #17
Match Report.....

I was able to get the gun grouping well by adjusting seating depth during Thursday practice so I felt good going into round 1 on Friday.  I was going against a local shooter that has had a bit of success at this range but I was able to win out 2-0 and was reasonably happy with the vertical; not the best on the line but adequate to get further along if I made good wind calls.  My next match (Sweet 16) was against Dan Bramley who is a very accomplished shooter at the national level but I beat him in the practice match at Shreveport two weeks prior (and I was hauling his gear so he didn't have to fly the heavy stuff...so you would think he would give me a little slack :)) ...NOT).  Although my gun was not shooting as tight as his I was beat 2-0 squarely on missed wind calls.  Even If I had a 4" vertical over the match it would not have beat Dan...period.  Since the tournament was double elim I had another match in the afternoon in the 'loser's' bracket.  I was facing a friend and previous national LR champion, Norm Harrold.  My gun started to shoot really tall by the 7th shot and I had no chance.  I told Norm I would mainly be tuner testing for the second match since I knew I had no chance the way it was shooting.  I moved it one thou' of an inch away from the breech and fired two sighters that were nasty.  I then moved it one thou' in from baseline figuring it couldn't shoot worse and proceeded on record shots.  I shot my first 5 shots in the V ring and both Norm and I were shocked; the gun came alive.....for a little while.  By shot 8 it went back to 1.25 MOA of vertical so I was now out of the tournament.  I was moved into the 'best of the rest' bracket and had a first round bye.  I decided to go prone and shoot a series of 5 shot of tuner testing groups instead.  The wind was changing direction a bit but at least I could get a read on vertical.  I started at my 0 point (where I developed the load at near sea level but in cooler temps) and it shot 2.01" of vertical with 7" horizontal.  That is what I was expecting based on my last match in Shreveport and the current winds.  I waited less than 3 minutes and rattled off 5 shots at setting 1 (one thou' closer to the breech).  It shot a 2.25" group with 1.39" of vertical.  That is close to what I saw in the second match against Norm...for the first 5-6 shots.  I moved the tuner in to setting 2 and shot a 10.6" group with over 10" of vertical!  Darn!  I moved it back to 1 and shot a 7.66" group with 7.33" vertical.  WTF.  Back to 0 and it shoots another 10" group nearly all vertical.  At that point I put the gun in the case and watched some fine shooting before heading back home a day early.  I figured the barrel had to be at the end of life since it now has over 1800rds so I pulled it on Monday to put on a 450 rd count barrel.  To my chagrin the barrel broke free without any pressure on the wrench.  I can't say how loose it was but I obviously did not hit it with the torque wrench (I use 80-85 ft-lbs) when I spun it on.   :-[   That could explain the fantastic cool bore shots then hell breaking loose once hot.  I don't know for sure but since I have about 150 match rounds left I may torque it back up and shoot a local match with the leftover ammo and see how it performs.  It certainly shows promise due to some very good 5 shot groups achieved over its life just not good for F-class since it can't hold together for long strings of fire.  I guess I should give that a go since I have another identical blank ready to be chambered and may be a viable barrel if a loose barrel was my problem.  I'll see....

Reply #18
Oh man, tough luck, glad you found something when you went to swap the barrel.

Reply #19
I wondered what happened. Shot good in the first match and
then the wheels fell off in the second. Points were way down.

Reply #20
@rardoin i wont quote your whole match report but it all sounds kinda familiar to my situation, mine shot solid at 600 but couldn't group at 1000, a seating change on day two made both worse. 😠 A remeasure distance to lands showed me on the wrong side of them so a .010" change in SD put me back to .006" in and 600 cleaned up good but 1000 still sucked.

1450 rounds on the barrel now with over .014" throat erosion. I wouldn't be afraid to take it to the 600 yard line but by the time i find something that works at a G there won't be enough "match barrel life" to matter LOL 

As frustrating as it all is it makes you proud / grateful to be an 🇺🇸, load a bunch of firearms up, freely travel 1000s of miles and compete against your peers. You gotta love that!
Dave

Reply #21
@rardoin
As frustrating as it all is it makes you proud / grateful to be an 🇺🇸, load a bunch of firearms up, freely travel 1000s of miles and compete against your peers. You gotta love that!

That statement really sums it up Dave.  Just to be able to be present at matches such as the VihtaVuori/Vortex F-class Finale or the Long Range Rendezvous is a real blessing.

Reply #22
 Robin, I'm sorry you had rifle issues that cost you so mush.  Still you are in elite company and should be proud.  I am sure you will learn from your setbacks and hopefully return to the V2 next year.  Good luck.

Reply #23
Robin, I'm sorry you had rifle issues that cost you so mush.  Still you are in elite company and should be proud.  I am sure you will learn from your setbacks and hopefully return to the V2 next year.  Good luck.

Thanks, I made a solid down payment toward the 2022 Finale at a well attended qualifier a couple of weeks back where the rifle shot very well and predictably.  My bad for not putting a wrench to the barrel before departing to Tennessee  :-[ .

Reply #24
I put the barrel I used in the V2 match back on…..actually tight this time…. ;)  And shot a tuner test at 600 yds after doing some ladder test in another barrel and another new rifle. I had near 175 leftover rounds so I was curious as to whether the lack of proper barrel torque was at play with my inconsistent testing results up in Tennessee. I tested four positions and reshot the best two and they repeated well for the heavy mirage conditions.  And, this barrel still has potential with near 1850rds in the bore.

I’m going to shoot the leftovers in a 1000yd qualifier match next weekend in Houston. I think it will be competitive

Reply #25
Wow! Every time I read about something like this or experience it myself, I’m flabbergasted with just how easy it is to miss something that will throw a monkey wrench into the middle of all the other excellent preparation you have performed. It can be unbelievably frustrating when you have so much thought, time, and money already invested. If there is any saving grace, it’s that once you experience a mistake generated by yourself, you rarely let it happen again.

Reply #26
When I sold the stock and action and took the barrel off the Savage Dasher I sold last winter it was aplenty loose, still a little tension on the shoulder but I think I could have loosened it without a wrench bare hands style.
Came that way from a gunsmith who also installed the rail backwards and sold me some brass with "tightened" primer pockets. I probably should have checked the barrel 😂
Dave

Reply #27
That’s how I found my barrel after returning from the V2 Dave….not loose enough for removable by hand without a two fisted approach but required no torque on the wrench to move it.  Yep, I don’t think I’ll make this mistake again.

Reply #28
That 1b tuner looks to be a winner.
The SD and ES dropped.
Hope that can repeat for you.

Reply #29
That 1b tuner looks to be a winner.
The SD and ES dropped.
Hope that can repeat for you.

They are both the same setting.  '1b' was a repeat of '1' about 15 minutes later.  Ignore the terminal velocity numbers from the target as they don't correlate with my chronometer MV numbers usually.  The second round of that setting had almost no mirage yet was sunny...it was strange in that I could see every bullet hole in the target...which never happens at that range in the summer except in early mornings for about 20 minutes.