Skip to main content
Topic: Long Range Alley V2 qualifier and pre-finale practice match (Read 225 times) previous topic - next topic

Long Range Alley V2 qualifier and pre-finale practice match

Day one of the Long Range Alley 1000yd Vortex/Vihtavuori Finale qualifier complete. Typical Shreveport twitchy winds and ‘Holy $hi+ moments. Heavy load of top national shooters practicing for the finale in two weeks in Tennessee and earning points for the 2022 finale (invitational). Finally am knocking on the door with a 190 Atip load in this Schneider barrel. Currently in second place but in this format and range anything can happen. We are shooting pair firing which entails 2 convertible sighters and 15 shots of alternating fire with each shooter getting 45 seconds to get off a shot. This means no waiting for a condition; you have to make a read and send one. Rarely will a condition hold, particularly at this venue, for you to shoot consecutive shots in the same condition. Great educational format.

My gun had over a minute of vertical at 1000 over the 15 shots in match 1, 2 and the first 10 shots f match 3.  To win One really needs .5 moa vertical in no mirage, light winds. Fed up, I finally gave my tuner a 3/4 increment adjustment as the non condition related vertical was getting bad. The next 6/7 shots were on a tight waterline with the shooter holding higher than needed for a letoff on the last shot. I think I needed that tuner adjustment from the beginning of the day. Tells me my load ain’t quite there yet. Tomorrow will be a fun day!

X ring is 5”, 10 ring 10”

Re: Long Range Alley V2 qualifier and pre-finale practice match

Reply #1
Good job on the #2 spot.  This is a tough format....seems to really challenge your wind reading skills on a shot to shot basis.  Good luck on the rest of the match.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #2
Woo Hoo!!! Robin

Great shooting, hang in there buddy. 👍

Reply #3
Nice work Robin, battled the wind myself today at Humboldt that turned some 2-3" groups into 4-6" groups.
Keep pushing.
Dave

Reply #4
Way to go robin. You can shoot with the best of them. .. good luck tomorrow..
Grant

Reply #5
Robin you weren't kidding about the company, top notch names there.
Keep it up.  ;)
Not a single 150, must be tough conditions.

Reply #6
Good job, fine shooting.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #7
Congrats to Robin, he finished 2nd.

Reply #8
Yup, finished 2nd.  Considering the field I am just fine with it.  Grateful, actually.  I really did not know if the gun was going to shoot reasonable but I was not far behind the leader all match and had the second highest X count which tells me the gun was good enough.  I still need mucho work on my shot release as I have suspected I am inducing issues.  A friend and former multiple national champion said he watched me in the last match and, in plain English, said my trigger technique was abysmal :-[ .  I have known it for a while but he gave me some ideas to break my bad habit and I think it will improve my scores.  My friend came out of seclusion for this match and won F-TR by 12 POINTS!!!  An unbelievable accomplishment considering the quality of their field....very deep.  Here are the results:

Reply #9
Robin congratulations. You more than held your own in that top notch group. I understand humility but when you perform as well as you did, take it to heart.

I am curious about the trigger technique. It is so important in every shooting arena and something too frequently overlooked. What do you need to change?

Reply #10
Well done Robin....you were there with the leader the whole match.  Great shooting.   You definitely peaked my interest on the trigger technique feedback.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #11
Its pretty cool that there's several shooters on this forum that is at the top of the heap in their respective disciplines.. congrats to you all..
Grant

Reply #12
Also anxious to hear what Robin has to say on the trigger subject. I have been taught that precision shooting starts with the trigger and consistency of your squeeze/pull. Jacob Bynum spends hours training his students to develop a consistent, perfectly perpendicular pressure on the trigger. Too much pressure on the left or right side leads to an errant shot.

Reply #13
You mean you don't slap it like a monkey..... yes please share the trigger techniques 😁
Dave

Reply #14
IIRC, Stephen Dean is who I got the 47L improved reamer dies and go gage from.
Dave